Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
betelguese
Enthusiast
betelguese began at the beginning.

Device: none
Premium size tablet for ebooks?

Hi, what would be the best tablet for reading ebooks (pdf, djvu, epub, mobi) with a screen size bigger than 10 inch? I can't find one, all tablets I found end at 10.1 inches.
betelguese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thread moved to the "Which one should I buy" forum.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
There are some 13 inch android tablets I think, more expensive than readers but more versatile as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Kocaso-M1400-1...13+inch+tablet is one on Amazon to see what it will do, I think there are others.

You might search for 12 inch as well.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
You could try a Windows tablet. I know the Surface is slightly larger. There are also some laptops that flip all the way around, like the Lenovo Yoga. That has around 13.3 inches.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
There are a handful of tablets that have screens that are larger than 10.1". However, I do not know if any of these would be good for reading e-books on. I certainly do not think that they would be. I have considered reading music on them.

The tablets include Toshiba Excite 13, Asus Transformer AiO, Dell XPS 18, HP Envy 20, Sony Vaio Tap 20, and the Lenovo Horizon 27. Samsung is rumored to be working on the Galaxy Note 12.2, and Apple is rumored to be working on a large iPad Maxi.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do you actually need a bigger screen? I don't have terribly good eyesight, but I find the iPad to be excellent for reading A4/Letter-format PDFs without having to scroll the page.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
betelguese
Enthusiast

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I need a bigger screen. I mainly need the tablet for physics and math college textbooks. Most of them in pdf and djvu format. It does require long reading sessions and my eyesight for reading is not the ideal, so both for comfort and practicality a big screen is welcome, ideally bigger than 15 inches, and the bigger the better.
Would you consider the current Ipad or Samsung 10.1 tablet fit for this? Which tablet would impose less strain to the eye? Or should I wait for incoming larger tablets?
Yes, I've seen the 20in and higher portable screens from Dell, Asus AIO and the like. I also read about this cool 4K tablet, eventhough its price is outrageous at the moment:

NOTE: I don't have any experience with tablets. I'm used to my current PC's 23in LCD 1600x1200 display.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betelguese View Post
Thanks for your replies. Yes, I need a bigger screen. I mainly need the tablet for physics and math college textbooks. Most of them in pdf and djvu format. It does require long reading sessions and my eyesight for reading is not the ideal, so both for comfort and practicality a big screen is welcome, ideally bigger than 15 inches, and the bigger the better.
Would you consider the current Ipad or Samsung 10.1 tablet fit for this?
Yes, definitely, as I said in my previous post; I use my iPad primarily for reading PDF articles from academic journals, and the page is comfortable to read without zooming or scrolling.

The advantage of the iPad is its 4:3 aspect ratio, which is a better closer fit to the shape of an A4/Letter page than the 16:9/16:10 aspect ratio that Android tablets use. This means there's a lot less wasted space around the edge of the page.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
betelguese
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, definitely, as I said in my previous post; I use my iPad primarily for reading PDF articles from academic journals, and the page is comfortable to read without zooming or scrolling.

The advantage of the iPad is its 4:3 aspect ratio, which is a better closer fit to the shape of an A4/Letter page than the 16:9/16:10 aspect ratio that Android tablets use. This means there's a lot less wasted space around the edge of the page.
Harry, I understand the iPad's aspect ratio advantage, however sometimes the letter size becomes small for my eyesight and I need to zoom in resulting in browsing a single page which is very uncomfortable. I can say this from my limited experience in testing it with friend's tablets or trying them at stores. hence the need for larger screens.
The 15+ inch screen market for AIO Windows tablets is very incipient:low battery life, not so portable, not perfect touch experience and maybe not so good for ebook reading as Petrucci pointed out. Maybe in 2 years when CPU's become ever more efficient and powerful the perfect jumbo tablet will be a reality.

Last edited by betelguese; 10-27-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #10
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

This is a very important point. 4:3 is definitely preferable in my opinion over 16:9/16:10. I've tried to explain why the iPad's screen is better for reading than the Surface RT (in a Surface RT forum) and I get branded an iSheep.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Would you consider the current Ipad or Samsung 10.1 tablet fit for this? Which tablet would impose less strain to the eye? Or should I wait for incoming larger tablets?
iPad is better. Whether it's good enough depends on your eyesight, though. Here are some calculations on how big an A4-size PDF will look if viewed in fit-to-page mode on a couple of screen sizes:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=20
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Harry, I understand the iPad's aspect ratio advantage, however sometimes the letter size becomes small for my eyesight and I need to zoom in resulting in browsing a single page which is very uncomfortable. I can say this from my limited experience in testing it with friend's tablets or trying them at stores. hence the need for larger screens.
The 15+ inch screen market for AIO Windows tablets is very incipient:low battery life, not so portable, not perfect touch experience and maybe not so good for ebook reading as Petrucci pointed out. Maybe in 2 years when CPU's become ever more efficient and powerful the perfect jumbo tablet will be a reality.
With the arrival of the new Haswell processors you get 8-9 hours of battery life on Windows tablets. That is not the issue. Touch experience is as good as any Android or iOS device. Of course, the portability of a device with a 15" screen will be limited. But I am fine using my 13.3" laptop as a tablet. Definitely a great option, but not for everyone.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:48 AM   #13
betelguese
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
With the arrival of the new Haswell processors you get 8-9 hours of battery life on Windows tablets. That is not the issue. Touch experience is as good as any Android or iOS device. Of course, the portability of a device with a 15" screen will be limited. But I am fine using my 13.3" laptop as a tablet. Definitely a great option, but not for everyone.
I checked the reviews extensively on the Dell XPS AIO 18 and similar competing products, their battery life is 2 to 5 hours depending on usage. Many people are not happy with the touch experience, they report having to tap twice or more on a link or screen element for the device to respond, and their screens are too glossy.
I also have a laptop, a 15.5" Sony Vaio IPS FullHD, great device for general Windows use, but not comfortable to use it as an ebook reader, screen size is not enough plus the keyboard occupies unnecessary space in my desk while reading, not to mention the inability to place the screen to my liking . Hence the need for a tablet as it's much more comfortable for ebook reading, and as I said, preferably bigger screen so I can read a single page or ideally two pages without zooming.

Last edited by betelguese; 10-28-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #14
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
I have an HP Split X2, which is a 13.3 inch Windows 8 Pro tablet/laptop. In tablet mode, I get about 6-7 hours of battery, and about 4-5 more when attached to the keyboard base in laptop mode. I have no problem with touch responsiveness at all. However, if a 15.5' screen isn't large enough for you, then that will not be enough for you. Have you looked at this 18.4 inch Asus Transformer? http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Transform...957142&sr=1-14 It looks like it's a Windows 8 tablet that has a base station that turns it into an all in one desktop. Oh...and it also runs Android Jellybean. If I could justify another computer to myself, I would get it just for the coolness factor

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Have you looked at this 18.4 inch Asus Transformer? http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Transform...957142&sr=1-14 It looks like it's a Windows 8 tablet that has a base station that turns it into an all in one desktop. Oh...and it also runs Android Jellybean. If I could justify another computer to myself, I would get it just for the coolness factor

Shari
It's probably awfully heavy to use a tablet. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro Windows 8 tablet, and even that's really too heavy to use as a tablet, for me. I use it with a keyboard as an ultra-portable laptop.