Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #391
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Thanks for this. It looks pretty good from as much as you can tell in a video. I had to laugh when the rep mentioned that it has an "experimental browser" and the guy replied with - it's been experimental for 5 years now. lol.
I think they call it "experimental" in the same way Google had a habit of calling its products "bèta", in the past. You can use it, and it probably works as intended, but IF it comes crashing down, the company can say:

"Sorry... but that feature is experimental / bèta. If it works, fine. If it doesn't, tough luck."

That way, they don't need to officially support it.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #392
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I think they call it "experimental" in the same way Google had a habit of calling its products "bèta", in the past. You can use it, and it probably works as intended, but IF it comes crashing down, the company can say:

"Sorry... but that feature is experimental / bèta. If it works, fine. If it doesn't, tough luck."

That way, they don't need to officially support it.
Oh yes, very true!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #393
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I got the impression the marketing guy really didn't know the answer to half the questions he was asked. And on the 3G browser - twice he said "yes" to "can you browse the web for free on the 3G Paperwhite". Since when?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:19 AM   #394
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I got the impression the marketing guy really didn't know the answer to half the questions he was asked. And on the 3G browser - twice he said "yes" to "can you browse the web for free on the 3G Paperwhite". Since when?
He said yes so that the troll interviewer could go away. Right at the end he asked "what?", because it was obvious that the troll wanted to get some kind of reaction from him.

That's not how interviews should be done.

Last edited by DSpider; 09-16-2013 at 01:27 AM.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:49 AM   #395
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpider View Post
He said yes so that the troll interviewer could go away. Right at the end he asked "what?", because it was obvious that the troll wanted to get some kind of reaction from him.

That's not how interviews should be done.
That guy was pretty dang grating, wasn't he? The marketing dude's eyes looked like they were starting to glaze over at the "so what kind of CPU is it?" blathering. I was surprised that he didn't describe himself as an ereader "power user."
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #396
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
I am waiting for Paper Color, as all my 2 Kindle and 1 Sony reader are still running well.
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #397
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Yes! PaperWhite Color!
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #398
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
Yes! PaperWhite Color!
That kind of happened accidentally last year with the (very) pink and green blotches on some screens
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #399
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
That kind of happened accidentally last year with the (very) pink and green blotches on some screens
LOL. I was thinking the same thing.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #400
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
Good one!
Old 09-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #401
jswinden
Nameless Being

Well, I thought about it a lot yesterday. I have a Touch but almost never use it. As a matter of fact the last two times I turned it on the battery was drained all the way and I had to charge it before using. I only use it when outside or in a very bright room. It mostly collects dust and cat hair. I probably use my iPhone for 90% of my reading and my iPad for 5%. The iPad is a bit heavy to comfortably hold. I use the iPhone more because it is so small and easy to hold, though a screen size between these two would be better. So I've decided it would be too expensive to buy a PW2 to use rarely. I really like the iOS devices so much better than slow eInk devices. So I cancelled my PW2 pre-order. If Apple releases an iPad Mini with high enough resolution this year I will get that instead.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #402
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Well, I thought about it a lot yesterday. I have a Touch but almost never use it. As a matter of fact the last two times I turned it on the battery was drained all the way and I had to charge it before using. I only use it when outside or in a very bright room. It mostly collects dust and cat hair. I probably use my iPhone for 90% of my reading and my iPad for 5%. The iPad is a bit heavy to comfortably hold. I use the iPhone more because it is so small and easy to hold, though a screen size between these two would be better. So I've decided it would be too expensive to buy a PW2 to use rarely. I really like the iOS devices so much better than slow eInk devices. So I cancelled my PW2 pre-order. If Apple releases an iPad Mini with high enough resolution this year I will get that instead.
Sounds like a good choice for you since you use your touch so little. Of course, if the new PW2 is really good, you may be tempted again.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #403
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I probably use my iPhone for 90% of my reading and my iPad for 5%.
My eyes are not good enough to use the iphone as my primary device. I would have to turn the page much too often. I found the Kindle Touch I have great for all my recreational reading. I had just got it before the PW came out... so didn't upgrade. Won't upgrade to the PW2 either, but might ask for it as a holiday gift.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 09-16-2013 at 05:48 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #404
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
I probably use my iPhone for 90% of my reading...
Using an iPhone for e-reading would be the same as reading a paperback the size of a playing card. For me, it doesn't work. 6 inch is the minimum size I'd go for, and 8 inch is the max.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #405
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Using an iPhone for e-reading would be the same as reading a paperback the size of a playing card. For me, it doesn't work. 6 inch is the minimum size I'd go for, and 8 inch is the max.
Whatever. Don't take this the wrong way but I don't care what does or doesn't work for others, only what works for me. And what works for me isn't up for debate.