Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Qt for Embedded Linux, minimum requirements not met, there is always a way

Qt for Embedded Linux Requirements
Requirements

The memory and storage requirements for Qt for Embedded Linux depend on a an variety of different factors, including the target architecture and the features enabled in the Qt build.

The following table shows typical library sizes for the most common Qt libraries on different architectures, built in release mode with different feature profiles.

Architecture Compiler

linux-x86-g++ GCC 4.2.4
linux-arm-g++ GCC 4.1.1

our min max buildchains are CS TC 2006q3 - 2007q3
(as 2008q1 is a brown-bag and 2008q3 exceed our price range into from 2_4 into 2_7

so do we hit those targets??? Sadly no.

me@dev /opt/arm-2007q3/bin $ ./arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc --version
Quote:
arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc (CodeSourcery Sourcery G++ Lite 2007q3-51) 4.2.1
Would happily take input on the "arm version" numbering though...
does that imply one could build qt on the machine... raspbian style?
it would take 14 days, a memory graft and ten million amps, but does it?

Simply consigning this to the vault of "can't do" annoys me when it so patently can be done in some fashion. Others have put together QT offerings, is it simply that the more recent versions of QT rely on a TC too recent? input gratefully accepted. would like to put qt back on the books in the medium term, hence this post.

Last edited by twobob; 09-03-2012 at 08:07 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@twobob: If you're looking at Qt4, I think they're starting/planning to require a somewhat recent C++ compiler (GCC 4.5/4.6, clang 3/4 ?) to make use of some nifty C++11/C++0x features... It's possibly 'worse' with Qt5 .

So, yeah, might have better success with a custom self-built TC based on GCC 4.[678], although the ABI compatibility dance might get a bit tricky... (I've never tried building Qt with my usual GCC 4.7/Glibc 2.9 TC, so I can't be more specific, but, it's C++, so, here be dragons...).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-03-2012 at 08:22 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Right. good info.

that sounds very "medium term" to me then.

One for the pile. Thanks mate.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Are these of any relevance to your situation?

Qt for Kindle DX:
http://www.griffin.net/2010/01/hacki...nd-sudoku.html

Qt for Kindle (Qindle):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94483

Qt4 for K5 discussion:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178716

EDIT: K3Chess has Qt-embedded LGPL libs for K3, which you could use for your own apps:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152815

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-03-2012 at 10:40 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
twobob

Both the first two are excellent resources, and will probably serve as an interim solution.

If this was for a later kindle I would already be golden.

Thanks very much though, they are indeed the best resources right now : )
Advert
Old 09-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Both the first two are excellent resources, and will probably serve as an interim solution.

If this was for a later kindle I would already be golden.

Thanks very much though, they are indeed the best resources right now : )
The K3Chess link I added has a loadable Qt library for the K3. Did you see that one?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
twobob

In essence this is about building from source.

It will allow a huge raft of stuff if we can get it working : )

thanks though great resource, I will no doubt use in the interim
Old 09-04-2012, 12:28 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
k3 cute tea

Check me, if I have been following the results of the past couple of weeks of test building correctly:

Because building C++ requires C ...

We need a C/C++ compiler of recent enough vintage to support the language features required by a recent version of cute tea;

Yet for K3 compatibility reasons, we don't want it built against a glibc that provides anything more recent than symbol versions 2.6.
Even if that means back-porting qsort_r from a more recent glibc.

We need a libstdc++ as new as the above requirements can build.

Binutils isn't critical, so the newer the better.

And setting the goal bar as high as possible -
We want the above in both a x86 -> ARM and an ARM native builds.

- - - Gulp - - - Tall order - - - An old enough "C" library might not support a new enough "C" compiler.
But then, again, it might - - - just because none of the pre-built tool-chains support that combination does not mean it can't be done.

Then we want a version of cute tea with the frame buffer driver.

Plus the whole mess should be able to build a recent webkit browser.

But if I have the understanding correct as shown above, I will give it a try.

If I can't persuade ct-ng to do that for us, I can try the "old school" way of doing it all "by hand" (with the help of LFS (Linux From Scratch) references).

There is also a chance that I will just find another "catch 22" situation like I did when trying to update the emulator tool-chain.

PS: There is a 2012.08.1 "bug fix" release of Buildroot in the works to pick up a few "critical" things that fell throught the cracks getting 2012.08 out on time (some day, rsn).

Last edited by knc1; 09-04-2012 at 12:42 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:02 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Q1:
glibc >= 2.4 defaults to 128 bit for long double.
Do you need 128bit long double ?
(Note: VFP only does single precision, not double or long double - but gcc can fake it).
Old 09-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #10
twobob

Hmm... How would one find out. To the source code for me I assume...

TBC...
Old 09-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Hmm... How would one find out. To the source code for me I assume...

TBC...
Don't bother.
I had a chance for a long nap and discovered that one myself -
The tool-chain itself expects 128bit long doubles (or at least configure tests for it).
Old 09-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@knc1: What's the issue with CT-NG when building a GCC 4.7/Glibc 2.6/2.5 TC?

The only issue I have when doing this with glibc 2.9 (not the same, okay, but if it can help ) is the need to backport (well, not really, just apply it, actually) the make-3.82 compat patch for glibc (and the fact that it hits a very weird bug that breaks the build when using older GNU make versions when building a softfp TC).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-04-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

@NiLuJe : I don't recall posting that there was a problem with ct-ng.

There is a "problem" with the C++ code of one (or two) of the libraries used for the "graphite" optimizations - like one of them has never been ported to any machine other than x86 & x86_64.

Not a problem when only building a cross-compiler (since the optimization only has to run on the host).
But becomes a problem when doing a full three stage 'build and test' of gcc for non-Intel.
So our new, native compiler may have that optimization method disabled (unless I can port the code to arm).

Since ct-ng only does a bootstrap + stage one build, it never has that problem.
Yann E. Morin still has doing a full 'build and test' on his to-do list.
And he told me that he does not expect to have the time to do that work this year.

But he will accept 'patches' for that work (if I can figure out how to do it).

The same story with the hidden 'build native' on the configuration menu (no working code behind it, so its hidden) and no time to work on it this year.
But he will accept 'patches' if we want to code it for him.

Translation of all above:
Somebody has to 'engineer' this solution at least once by hand before it can be automated and YEM doesn't have time to help us.

Last edited by knc1; 09-04-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: Oh, my bad, thought you were talking about a 'simple' cross TC .
Old 09-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@knc1: Oh, my bad, thought you were talking about a 'simple' cross TC .
Nope - my fault, the "native tool-chain" mention was a one-liner in a very long post.
I should have been clearer in my requirements list.

Tags
cuetee, qt4, quetea, quetee, queuet