Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
aquagirl
aquagirl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Problems with Kobo Touch

I received a Kobo Touch for CHristmas and I love it and it gets lots of use. This last week however, I hate it.

I got some epubs from the library and loaded them using adobe digital editions. I've done this fairly regularly with no problems.

This time I got the processing content freeze. Somehow I muddled through that.

Now I have a new problem. I was in the middle of a library book, put it down to eat supper, picked it up and now it's frozen on the home screen.

It won't reset on the back. I called Kobo (WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER) and they said to hold the home button and turn the power switch to teh right and hold it for 10 seconds. I saw two flashing blue lights but nothing happened.

I've been referred to tier two but no one can get back to me until Monday. And I'm told I'll probably have to send them my device.

I've been playing with it and moving the power button back and forth and I've gotten a flashing blue light, a rapidly flashing green light and a flashing red light. Now I have nothing.

I connect it to the computer and the computer doesn't recognize that it's there and the kobo doesn't recognize that it's plugged in.

Any thoughts on what I can do?

I'm sorry if this is a repeated question, I took a quick look at the other threads but didn't see anything.

Thanks in advance for your help!
aquagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I'm sorry to tell you that I think you're hosed. I had a very similar problem with one of my original Touch's (now on my third) and I went a lot higher than level two trying to get an answer. Nevertheless I got the same answer you got - Send it back to Kobo for replacement.

A locked up Touch wouldn't be such an issue if Kobo had a foolproof hardware reset system to bring it back to firmware defaults.

They don't. Which I have complained about before.

I'm still in process of trying to get an answer about this, and preferably a change of reset system, from person I've talked to at Kobo but at the moment, and for as long as you're in warranty, I think you'll have to send it back to Kobo - and pay the freight for that.

Once you're out of warranty - who knows?

Last edited by plib; 03-03-2012 at 07:52 PM.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=14 for another reset procredure. Might be worth while trying that....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
aquagirl
aquagirl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Problems continue...

Thanks for your help. Kobo support was useless luckily I called the store I purchased it at and they do over the counter exchange on e-readers that don't work (for 1 year). So I got a new one.

Which is now not working.

I've only loaded kobo e-pubs and library books (via digital editions). This one was working fine. I was in the middle of a book and then it didn't respond to a page turn. So I put it in sleep mode and tried to turn it on again. It's unresponsive. Doesn't realize it's plugged into the computer. I tried the reset in the back and the screen flashes back but it doesn't turn on.

Am I doing something wrong? I consider myself fairly tech savvy. I've purchased several kobo e-pubs. Are there any other devices that these would be compatible with if I were to go with a different type of device?

Thanks.
aquagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Try leaving it plugged in for a few hours; I get the sense the battery might be low. Also do remember that an eInk screen will show the last image sent to it even without power which can make it a challenge to tell what state the device is in.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert