Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-19-2013, 04:27 AM   #1
elpaso
elpaso began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Kobo Glo: how to replace boot image

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and the Glo is my first ebook reader, thanks to this forum it took me just a few minutes to enable telnet and get root !!!

Thanks to everybody!

Now I would like to replace the boot/standby image with something more fancy (a pirate flag would do .

I've read something about placing an image in the upgrade folder of the user partition but all the instructions were for other models and they said that the image format and size is important.

Does anybody have more informations about the kobo glo image format and size for replacing it?
elpaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Glad to hear that you've had no problems enabling telnet.

I haven't looked very much into creating raw images for the Glo, though it's on my to-do list. The raw image format for the Kobo Touch is discussed in this thread, but if I remember correctly, the commands from that thread don't work for creating images for the Glo.

The Kobo's boot animation is controlled by /etc/init.d/on-animator.sh, which uses /usr/local/Kobo/pickel to show images from the /etc/images/ directory.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2013, 04:51 AM   #3
piratepanda
Connoisseur
piratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura aboutpiratepanda has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpaso View Post
I'm new to this forum and the Glo is my first ebook reader, thanks to this forum it took me just a few minutes to enable telnet and get root !!!
Could you point me to that information please? All I found was telnet access for the Touch.
piratepanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:05 AM   #4
elpaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratepanda View Post
Could you point me to that information please? All I found was telnet access for the Touch.
Sure: I just followed the instructions in this page:

http://www.chauveau-central.net/pub/KoboTouch/

I didn't follow all the steps, to enable telnet and ftp I just did these steps:

An upgrade file containing all those files is available here [1]. Be aware that the file /etc/inittab is based on the version from firmware 1.9.5. Future firmware versions may require a modified file (though this is unlikely).

Copy the provided file as .kobo/KoboRoot.tgz, reboot, and you should be able to log in using telnet. Of course, you will have enable WiFi and to figure out the device IP address which is unfortunately not provided by the current GUI.

Use the root account. No password is required.

[1] http://www.chauveau-central.net/pub/...telnet-ftp.tgz
Old 01-20-2013, 06:03 AM   #5
elpaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
Glad to hear that you've had no problems enabling telnet.

I haven't looked very much into creating raw images for the Glo, though it's on my to-do list. The raw image format for the Kobo Touch is discussed in this thread, but if I remember correctly, the commands from that thread don't work for creating images for the Glo.

The Kobo's boot animation is controlled by /etc/init.d/on-animator.sh, which uses /usr/local/Kobo/pickel to show images from the /etc/images/ directory.
Thanks,

I managed to download and view some of the raw images on the /etc/images but I couldn't find the logo image which is displayed when it is in standby mode, any hint?
Advert
Old 01-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpaso View Post
Thanks,

I managed to download and view some of the raw images on the /etc/images but I couldn't find the logo image which is displayed when it is in standby mode, any hint?
I haven't found the "sleep mode" or "powered off" images, though I found a workaround to replace the "Powered off" image. When you pull the power switch to turn off your Kobo, the device runs /sbin/poweroff, which does the necessary work to power off everything. The "Powered Off" image is drawn BEFORE /sbin/poweroff is called, so here's what I did:

First I removed /sbin/poweroff. Then I created a new "poweroff" file in /sbin/ to replace the poweroff we just removed.
Code:
vi /sbin/poweroff
I made the new "poweroff" file a shell script, with the following lines:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
zcat /etc/images/kraken-ghostbuster.raw.gz | /usr/local/Kobo/pickel showpic
cat /mnt/onboard/YOUR_IMAGE.raw | /usr/local/Kobo/pickel showpic
/bin/busybox poweroff
Don't forget to make it executable with "chmod +x /sbin/poweroff". This script clears the screen (with the kraken-ghostbuster image), draws your raw image of choice, and then tells busybox that we want to shutdown.

Last edited by KevinShort; 05-08-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:37 AM   #7
didier6526
didier6526 began at the beginning.

I want to see my photo on my koboglo when I stop reading

Quote:
I haven't found the "sleep mode" or "powered off" images, though I found a workaround to replace the "Powered off" image. When you pull the power switch to turn off your Kobo, the device runs /sbin/poweroff, which does the necessary work to power off everything. The "Powered Off" image is drawn BEFORE /sbin/poweroff is called, so here's what I did:

First I moved /sbin/poweroff to /usr/local/. Then I created a new "poweroff" file in /sbin/ to replace the poweroff we just moved.
Code:
vi /sbin/poweroff
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/poweroff &
This script clears the screen (with the kraken-ghostbuster image), draws your raw image of choice, and then calls the real poweroff binary (which was moved to /usr/local/).
Hello
I want to see my photo on my koboglo when I stop reading.
I have bought my koboglo in france.
perhaps the files are not the same?
I fave only .kobo/Kobo with some files xxxx.conf xxxx.sqlite
I don't find your files.
can you help me?
thanks
didier

PS: I have the firmware 2.50

Last edited by didier6526; 05-05-2013 at 04:40 AM. Reason: my version
didier6526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by didier6526 View Post
Hello
I don't find your files.
Those files (/sbin/poweroff and so on) are not on the user partition. You can access them via telnet.
Alternatively, you can access them via a bash script. In order to execute a bash script, you can use the kobotweaks, the kobo launcher, or you can modify the rcS file to the effect that it runs your script when powering on. To my mind, the kobotweaks and the kobo launcher are more convenient.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
KevinShort
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier6526 View Post
Hello
I want to see my photo on my koboglo when I stop reading.
I have bought my koboglo in france.
perhaps the files are not the same?
I fave only .kobo/Kobo with some files xxxx.conf xxxx.sqlite
I don't find your files.
can you help me?
thanks
didier

PS: I have the firmware 2.50
Tshering is correct, you can't see the files I mentioned when you connect your Glo to your computer. You'll have to use one of the methods tshering mentioned. You'll also have to convert your photo to a raw image format. you can do this on Linux with this command:
Code:
ffmpeg -i YOUR_PHOTO -f rawvideo -pix_fmt rgb565 -s 1024x758 output.raw
Old 05-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #10
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Deleted

Last edited by tshering; 05-06-2013 at 12:50 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #11
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Quote:
First I moved /sbin/poweroff to /usr/local/. Then I created a new "poweroff" file in /sbin/ to replace the poweroff we just moved.
Code:
vi /sbin/poweroff
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/poweroff &
Don't forget to make it executable with "chmod +x /sbin/poweroff".
I've used this hack to interpose a I/O to disk here, since using inittab doesn't work. Unluckily I noticed that I can't power on Kobo using the power button. I connected it to my pc with usb and it waked up instantly. I retried another time but this happened again. I think poweroff is not executed: the powered off image was displayed, but the device was not really powered off. My script was simply:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/poweroff &
the script was executed, since I tested it with an echo before the poweroff line. Are you sure I must add the & at the end of command? Maybe with the & the shell waits poweroff and poweroff waits the shell... I can test it but I was a little scared when the Kobo didn't power on...

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 05-08-2013 at 05:04 AM.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #12
KevinShort
Addict

I found the problem. The poweroff file is really just a link to "../bin/busybox", so when you move it to /usr/local, the link is broken. So what you can do is just remove /sbin/poweroff and create a new file with the same name, but instead of calling /usr/local/poweroff at the end, do this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#do whatever you want before shutdown
/bin/busybox poweroff
Old 05-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Yes, I also found it now ^^ Thank you.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo