Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
helf
Zealot
helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe, Entourage eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Latest Kindle Reader works as of 9/7/13

A whiiiile back a Kindle update broke support for the eDGe pocket. At least it did on mine. I reverted back to an older revision I had saved and have been using it for the last while. I just updated to see what would happen and it is working fine now! I'm using the Golden Allmine RC3 ROM on a pocket edge.

Just an FYI
helf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
tarvoke
Dog Dentist
tarvoke began at the beginning.

Device: PE, GT540, VM670, GOGHVMU, Qualcomm 1600
oh wow! I was just complaining about how I wished I'd kept a backup of the older working version, or at least the verision number.

thanks helf, that is great news! and also very brave of you - in my case, not only did newer kindle app not work, it corrupted my system flash. (not just once, but several times, before I got it through my thick head what was happeneing.)
tarvoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
tarvoke
Dog Dentist

hmmm. some books work fine, others crash the kindle app, and others just get stuck in a download/open book/fail/download/open book/fail loop.

once the app is crashed or looping, opening it again it will only ever crash.

even though by default it does open to the home screen and not to the book that messed it up.

clearing the kindle app cache doesn't help, only clearing the data (meaning having to re-register - not great but not awful. guess I just need to start keeping track of which books won't work on my PE)

good news at least is that it did not freeze the PE, and so far I have been able to reboot with no sign of corruption ;-)

double hmmmm - it seems to be some combination of network connection and possibly the book cover images?

deleting an offending book from /sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon..../files/ (or even the entire 'files' folder) is not enough - if kindle had crashed once, it will still continue to crash every time it is run.

however, turning off wireless, it won't crash. and then I can run kindle, it doesn't crash, lets me select a non-crashing book, and then turn wireless back on.

also, if I leave wireless off, any crashing books that had previously successfully downloaded, will not crash the kindle app.

looping books are no good, because it's impossible to turn off the wireless at exactly the right time before it tries to download again.

I'll have to try simply copying the book files from another android device where I have kindle working 100%, I guess.

super-weird.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
helf
Zealot
helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh wow. I didn't have that major of a problem with the Kindle app. I just updated it one day and it just crashed on load. I found the previous version and reinstalled it and never looked back. I kept a backup of the APK for that one. You can get it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nf79qcx3bd...le_3.4.1.1.apk

I haven't had issues with the latest one yet. I will let you know if I do.

Last edited by helf; 09-12-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
tarvoke
Dog Dentist

helf, thank you SO MUCH!

whatever old version I'd been using, your backup is either the same version or pretty darn close. works great, no crashes or loops!

the new version I uninstalled was 3.8.2.4 (store actually has version 4.2.0.34 but amazon's own page says not compatible with my device edgejr)
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 01:36 AM   #6
helf
Zealot

No problem, my friend! I'm glad it is working. I just found an APK for 4.2.0.34 and tried installing it out of morbid curiosity, but I got that annoying "There is a problem parsing the package" error that plagues me on the eDGe.

Oh well. The eDGe is still the best eReader ever created
Old 09-14-2013, 02:20 AM   #7
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by helf View Post

Oh well. The eDGe is still the best eReader ever created
I absolutely agree!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:07 AM   #8
Madpointdexter
Madpointdexter began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by helf View Post
A whiiiile back a Kindle update broke support for the eDGe pocket. At least it did on mine. I reverted back to an older revision I had saved and have been using it for the last while. I just updated to see what would happen and it is working fine now! I'm using the Golden Allmine RC3 ROM on a pocket edge.

Just an FYI
Any chance someone still has a working download to rc3 can't find anywhere and all links I try from this site are broken...plz assist thanks
Madpointdexter is offline   Reply With Quote