Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-22-2011, 08:08 AM   #16
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm not yet finished. But so far, it seems to be like a combination of HHGTTG and Futurama.
Can definitely see the Futurama similarities.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #17
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
I also liked it. As Asai said, "not usually my cup of tea"...sci-fi, humor! ugh...but I found myself looking forward to 'opening' it up and read it rather quickly.

I even like the bad guys.
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #18
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm not yet finished. But so far, it seems to be like a combination of HHGTTG and Futurama.
Except Clunk does not have a shint metal arse to bite!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:57 PM   #19
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess discussion here isn't furious, but it looks like we have managed to spur on a few sales for the author through this which I guess he'd appreciate.

I'm having trouble finding this in paperback form though. I had intended on buying the series for my dad: 1 on his birthday, 1 on father's day and the remaining two at Christmas.

Regards
Caleb
Old 04-24-2011, 11:24 PM   #20
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I guess discussion here isn't furious, but it looks like we have managed to spur on a few sales for the author through this which I guess he'd appreciate.

I'm having trouble finding this in paperback form though. I had intended on buying the series for my dad: 1 on his birthday, 1 on father's day and the remaining two at Christmas.

Regards
Caleb
can't you get the paperback versions from the authors website?
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2011, 11:39 PM   #21
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
can't you get the paperback versions from the authors website?
Well - it says you can. But I'm yet to find a path through to actual purchase. I always end up with an eBook purchase, never a paperback one.

I really should just contact Simon directly as he's a member here and ask him what's what.

Regards
Caleb
Old 04-25-2011, 12:59 AM   #22
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Science Fiction is my favorite genre, funny science fiction will be eternally compared to the hitchiker's guide in my mind. That's just how it is. note to self: read the hitchhiker's guide again.

I did lol in real life a few times and I feel that a single laugh is priceless so I definitely got my money's worth, if that means anything.

One problem in the book, there was a bit too much jock and not enough space. I suppose since this is the first book in the series, we are just getting introduced to the characters and the story and the setting will be better developed as the tale continues, indeed the excerpt for book 2 at the end of book 1 was the funniest part of the book.

I can't say anymore without spoiling, so I won't.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
I can't say anymore without spoiling, so I won't.
Spoilers for books under discussion here are fully allowed and expected.

I used to even put (spoilers) on the thread title, but I stopped doing that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #24
caleb72
Indie Advocate

I think one of the things I liked most about this book was not so much the humans, but the robots.

There were some witty one-liners from Clunk that had me laughing out loud. Definitely had some HHGTTG elements in the comments too. I loved the comment when Navcom was copied into the other space vessel - "I've been pirated!". I also enjoyed Clunk's dream of locating the mysterious robot planet.

But it was also the pacing which again reminded me of slapstick. One disaster follows another so quickly that you don't have time to come up for air. And it's all punctuated with these little punchlines.

I can understand where the over-the-top and corny sentiments come from, but I think that's its charm.

Regards
Caleb
Old 04-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #25
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post

Regards
Caleb
Go and have a look at www.booko.com.au. When you search for a paperback it will list all sites it is available from in order of price. Fishpond.com.au has it in stock.

From the authors site go to the main page (http://www.spacejock.com.au) and on the left side you will see each book, select the one you want and on the new page two drop down boxes appear, prices for ebook and one for paperback.

HIH.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #26
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Spoilers for books under discussion here are fully allowed and expected.

I used to even put (spoilers) on the thread title, but I stopped doing that.

BOb
I suppose that everyone reading this thread has already read the book so that makes a kind of sense.

Well I just wanted to say I was a bit disappointed when those two robots Hal and Clunk free from the robot factory decided not to join them on their adventures. I was hoping Hal was going to assemble a robot crew
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #27
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Well I just wanted to say I was a bit disappointed when those two robots Hal and Clunk free from the robot factory decided not to join them on their adventures. I was hoping Hal was going to assemble a robot crew
Same here. I was really hoping they would stick around! They were great comic relief on top of Clunk & Navcom.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #28
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Go and have a look at www.booko.com.au. When you search for a paperback it will list all sites it is available from in order of price. Fishpond.com.au has it in stock.

From the authors site go to the main page (http://www.spacejock.com.au) and on the left side you will see each book, select the one you want and on the new page two drop down boxes appear, prices for ebook and one for paperback.

HIH.
Sorry - I should have mentioned that I got in contact with the author and he showed me what I had missed on his site.

Regards
Caleb
Old 04-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #29
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I'll call you Albion and Clyde.

I think that's Bonnie.

Great... I'm glad you like it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #30
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It's hard to imagine worse pilot than Hal, but Clyde and Albiob managed to crash land in a garbage dump and set it ablaze. At least when Hal set the spaceship junkyard on fire, the ship was not crashed.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote