Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
Farhad
Zealot
Farhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheese

Device: N800/Nokia 5230/PB IQ701/PB 360
Really dumb question: what is the deal with "Android Market"?!

Hi,

I begin this post with an apology: I am really a newbie at this Android business and I am going to ask a really basic question. What the hell is the "Android Market"?! I cannot download any applications from it even though I have several Google accounts. I tried from my desktop and from my Android device (Pocket Book IQ 701). How do I get an Android device associated with my Goggle accounts? Why is it that some free (as in "gratis") applications are only found there?! What is the deal with this weir looking barcode for download and why can't I simply download a apk package to my desktop?

What if I don't want to deal with Google? Is there no repository where all free apk packages for Android (as in "beer" and/or as in "freedom") can be simply downloaded. If yes, could you pass me the URLs for it? If not - can you explain to me why not?!

Thanks for any pointers!

Farhad
Farhad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Welcome, Stallman!
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Not aquainted with your unit but market has problems with units that are not phones, such as tablets. the manufacturer can put out fixes for the problem but not all do.

Yes there are many places online for apps. Just do a search for "free apk" and you will find them. Not all apps on android market are available elsewhere but there may be something similar.

.apk is the extension on the android program files.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Try here:

http://www.freewarelovers.com/android

You can download the APK files to your PC and then copy them to your device (if it allows installing the APK file from a file browser or application installer on the device itself).
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
To be fair to Google, they've said many times that they don't believe the earlier versions of Android are fit for tablets, and that since the OS is designed for phones with a certain minimum set of capabilities they'd rather restrict the market to those phones for now. I'd expect this to change once the new v3 merges with the phone versions of Android - rumoured to be happening later this year.

However, as noted above, Google has got no problem with other vendors and sites providing apps for sideloading onto your device.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
Farhad
Zealot
Farhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheese

Thanks to all for your replies!

Alas, I am still confused.

How is it that some pretty good applications seem to only exist on the Android Market? Take for example weather forecast applications like iMap Weather or Radar Now! - I have not found them anywhere besides AM.

How come?

Why has nobody made a full mirror of the free apps on AM and made them available as apk packages for download?

The one application which I miss most is the al-Jazeera live application which seems to only exist on AM.

But then, I don't know if it uses flash. If yes, then the version of Andoid my Pocket Book IQ 701 with Android 2.0 probably won't run it :-(
Old 02-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You might be answering your own question. IMap and Radar Now, for example, both require GPS. I'd guess (though I may be wrong) that most Android devices with GPS have access to the Android Market itself.

Graham
Old 02-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad View Post
The one application which I miss most is the al-Jazeera live application which seems to only exist on AM.

But then, I don't know if it uses flash. If yes, then the version of Andoid my Pocket Book IQ 701 with Android 2.0 probably won't run it :-(
It requires Android 2.2 so almost certainly is Flash-based.

Graham
Old 02-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #9
tuskin
Enthusiast
tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Xiaomi Redmi Note 9, Surface 3
Arctools

Hi,
On my Archos 10.1 tablet I could get the regular market (Archos has Appslib - you can probably use that too) by using an app called Arctools. I don't know if something similar is available for other Android tablets.

Appslib is at www.appslib.com
tuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
Farhad
Zealot

Dear Graham and tuskin,

Thanks for these explanations and pointers. I really appreciate your pointers!!

Kind regards,

Farhad