Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
Breezin123
Breezin123 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
How to Disable "Auto convert the following books before uploading to device?" Prompt

I think there is a switch somewhere, but I am starting to lose some of what hair I have left trying to find it.

I autoload news sources and send them over to a kindle dx (mobi format). I also have a literati (epub format). So I changed the default preferred format to epub for the literati. But when I try to send one or more of the epub news files over to kindle, I get a prompt for each news file:

"No suitable formats"
"Auto convert the following books before uploading to the device?"

When I select yes, Calibre promptly converts the epub to mobi, or visa versa, depending on which format the file is in and which device I have connected to the pc.

The prompts are annoying and prevent auto transfer to the connected reader.

Does anyone know if there is a switch to turn off the auto convert confirmation?

Thanks!
Breezin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
There is not a way to turn it off. You cannot send a format to a device that doesnt support them. Hence the need to auto convert.

That said you can add the go into the device interface options in plugin prefeerences and add EPUB as a supported format for your Kindle. But the Kindle cannot read EPUB so that wont do you any good.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
Breezin123
Breezin123 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
Thanks for your reply. The question Calibre is asking is "Do you want to auto convert?" It could just as well be "Do you want to convert to a format that is compatible with the device?" Either way, if you select yes, it promptly converts to epub for Literati and mobi for kindle. It would be better (less trouble to the user) to switch off the question (or set the default answer to yes) and have the answer to the question be, Yes, convert to the format that is compatible with the device without requiring the user to stop and click on yes for each document.

Last edited by Breezin123; 02-17-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Breezin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:47 AM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The question was added because users complained about it auto converting. There are a number of situations where users want to cancel and only have the books in the format for their reader transfer.

That said open a ticket to enhance the auto convert dialog to add a "show this warning again" check box. This way you can have it never ask and always default to yes after the first time you see it.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
intron
intron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Is this something that was added recently? I haven't been using Calibre for all that long (since Xmas) but I don't remember it doing this before and it seems that with one of the recent updates this happened. Before I could tell it to download all and it would do everything in the background while I went about my merry way getting ready for the day. Now I have to sit there and wait for 30 news feed popups. It has made me stop using the news delivery very often.

I understand others want it, and I get why. It just doesn't work for me. What I am getting at is that I would love to get my hands on a relatively recent previous version if I knew it did not contain this update. Does anyone know at which version this behavior was added?
intron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to go to preferences->behavior and set the output format to the correct format for your device, then you wont get the popups for news downloads
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
intron
intron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for the quick reply! Yup, that was it. I am not sure how it got changed but I am going to blame my wife I knew it didn't do it before but couldn't figure out why it now had the popups - and I hadn't changed any settings. So I was guessing it was an update changing behavior. Now I get to scold my wife when she gets home. Ha.

Thanks again. Ahhhhhhh...... its fun to download news again.
intron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto convert, disable confirmation