Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
jonalbert
jonalbert began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Altering search function on Kindle

Hi,
I produce menu translators that I sell on Amazon and elsewhere under the name of Passeport Gastronomique. They are alphabetical listings of food and menu items in their native language followed by an English definition. The listing is in boldface, the definitions in italic. I produce them in InDesign and finish in Sigil and Calibre.
I just purchased a Kindle 3 and notice that when doing a search all listings of a word are shown. It would be better in this instance to only show the Bold listing, not any mentions of the word in the definitions.
I wonder if anyone knows how to do this. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks
jon
jonalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
i suggest placing header tags on all the bold listed words, then they will format into a table of contents for K3. also you will then be able to navigate through the alphabetical list using left and right on the 4 way pad, as kindle will treat each definition as a "chapter"

you can probably automate the process in sigil using regex once you figure out the syntax i.e. find words in bold replace with he same bold word but inside header tags.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Yes, cybmole's suggestion is a reasonable alternative, because there is no way to "disable" the search function in Kindle...I mean, think about it; by design it is supposed to find all the instances of a given word. I think an index with only the entries you want seen, or a TOC, would be a far better choice (and doable, which I think the disabling is not).

HTH,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote