Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
Figlilly
Zealot
Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2&3, Paperwhites, Kindle Touch, Kobo Clara, IPad Air2
Locating the book you were reading?

Probably a silly question and no doubt there is a big red button staring at me but is there a way on the K3 to find the book you were last reading if you have wandered off to the menu or someplace else? For instance, I am in the middle of a story, I have not really taken note of the title of the book because I have read a few in the last few days, I show my Kindle off to some work mates and lose my page in the process. Then, to get back to my book again, I have to scroll through page after page of book listings hoping that something looks familiar. Once I find it, all is well because it opens to the page I was last at but I can't help wondering if there is an easier way.
Figlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
unless the K3 is substantially different than 1 and 2, even if other people look at other titles, it should still be fairly close to the top on your front page
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
It shows the books in order you've looked them. So hit home and look through them the top of the list.

Of course, if you add books, they get added to the top. And if they looked at other books...well, it's a bit annoying.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I have also found that if I use the BACK button a sufficient number of times, it MAY take me back to where I was in a book even if I've cruised the web or gone to mess with settings. So try BACK, etc
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
Figlilly
Zealot
Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you all. My Kindle seems to list books alphabetically by title so the book is never near the top. I probably confuse it as well because I add books just about every day - new toy syndrome I guess for me, the Back button might be the solution.
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
If you run the cursor up to the top of the Home page, you will see that you have the option to sort by Most Recent First, Title, Author, or Collections. You may be set for Title.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
Figlilly
Zealot

Thank you JMikeD. That's perfect.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:40 AM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
check the "now reading" thread for some further tips!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:23 AM   #9
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Yes -- the most logical solution, as that thread notes, is to create something like a 'Current Reading' collection and move books in there which you are busy with. The Kindle will generally keep this collection near the top of the list on page 1 of your Home page, making it dead easy to find your current book without too much drilling.

Even better, restrict your collections to just 10, which will keep everything nice and compact on one Home page!
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:39 AM   #10
Figlilly
Zealot

Thanks guys. Terencek, there is no way I could do that. I love to carry my library around with me. I am still at the 'OMG look what I have got' stage. It's also good to show off my Kindle if I have zillions (ok a few dozen) books for people to gasp at. One day when I am an old hand at this and quite blase I might do that.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:39 AM   #11
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I think you may have misunderstood... You have just 10 'Collections', not just 10 books on your Kindle. That enables you to navigate through what you want very easily.

Clicking on any of those collections (e.g. Novels, Crime, SciFi, whatever is your fancy) will then unveil that impressive cornucopia of books to all and sundry if that's still your thing (I know the feeling!).

My Home page shows the 10 Collections (headed by Current Reading so I can always get quickly to the books I'm working on right now) -- but dig further and there are over a hundred Novels, a hundred Crime, a hundred Non-Fiction etc.
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #12
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
Quote:
You have just 10 'Collections', not just 10 books on your Kindle. That enables you to navigate through what you want very easily.
The last sentence would hold if Kindle supported subcollections (or standard folders and subfolders), otherwise it gets nice on Home page but messy in the collections...
It is of course matter of preferences and ways of use but I think that in general the most apparent sort by "most recently Read' or a '[ Currently Reading ]' collection sound the best. Creating 'Currently Reading' (without the symbol in front) would not be ideal if you have many collections, especially those starting by A,B or C

Last edited by janvanmaar; 12-14-2010 at 10:19 AM.
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote