Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-28-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
lobby
lobby began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Non US users - difficulty buying books

Hi,

I got a Sony 505 at Christmas and have bought a book on waterstones.com but the selection is rather limited for now.

I have tried to get books via both the sony ebook store and booksonboard but to no avail.

I understand that sony ebook store is for US only, but did I see somewhere that I can get vouchers? And if so, do I need to upgrade my sony library software as it currently only links to the waterstones website and has no other option to view the sony ebook store through it.

Secondly, booksonboard has told me that the content I selected is not available in my country whenever I try to buy a book. Is there a way around this?
lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobby View Post
Hi,

I got a Sony 505 at Christmas and have bought a book on waterstones.com but the selection is rather limited for now.

I have tried to get books via both the sony ebook store and booksonboard but to no avail.

I understand that sony ebook store is for US only, but did I see somewhere that I can get vouchers? And if so, do I need to upgrade my sony library software as it currently only links to the waterstones website and has no other option to view the sony ebook store through it.

Secondly, booksonboard has told me that the content I selected is not available in my country whenever I try to buy a book. Is there a way around this?
Welcome, lobby. I'm sure you'll find the answer here somewhere, lots of knowledgeable people here.

What kinds of books do you like to read? That might help us direct you. Have you seen the books uploaded here for the Sony?

And don't forget about our "What Country are you From" Poll.......

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37241
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
lobby

I was looking for thriller novels for a bit of a relaxed easy read (just finished The Goldilocks Enigma - on why the universe is suitable for life, and Barack Obama's Audacity to Hope).

I was particularly looking for a book called The Camel Club by David Baldacci
Old 01-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
There are many ebook stores out there. You should try Fictionwise and Baen for example. Not to mention, The wonderful uploads that are here at Mobile Read courtesy of many volunteers here!!!! More than 8000 books here according to our Guru Alex!!!

Quote:
Hi,

hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Hi Lobby and welcome!

I'm a UK Sony user too and I buy mainly from Fictionwise and Books on Board. If you just ignore the 'country of origin' tab after the login, you should have no probs at BoB.

Good luck!
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
lobby

Hi Dickon25,

I just changed my country of origin in booksonboard to US, and it let me get a bit further but when it came to verifying either my paypal or credit card it copped on that I wasn't a US resident.

(I think it depends on the book and the publishing rights associated with it)

I'll get there.....
Old 01-28-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
justlizz
Connoisseur
justlizz began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
You can get most books from whsmiths ebookshop and they work out cheaper than BoB in some cases BUT be carefull not to make more than 2 mistakes with credit card as they freeze you out and you have to contact c/s to be unfrozen I have had no probs with BoB and Im in the UK
lizz
justlizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
lobby

Maybe it's just an Irish thing then with BoB.

Anyway - i got it!!!!!

I created a new "google checkout" account but used a random US address with it's zip code. The google system didn't verify the address against the credit card I used.

I tried it to buy the book I was refused with the other methods and it worked!!!!!

Happy now.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
I was looking for thriller novels for a bit of a relaxed easy read (just finished The Goldilocks Enigma - on why the universe is suitable for life, and Barack Obama's Audacity to Hope).

I was particularly looking for a book called The Camel Club by David Baldacci
I suspect that you're feeling that pain that was discussed in this thread.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36414

It references David Baldacci's books specifically. My understanding is the online stores had to make some changes to the regional restrictions.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
besca147
besca147 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:

Anyway - i got it!!!!!

I created a new "google checkout" account but used a random US address with it's zip code. The google system didn't verify the address against the credit card I used.

I tried it to buy the book I was refused with the other methods and it worked!!!!!

Happy now.
I wonder if the same method would work with the Sony Store
besca147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:47 AM   #11
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by besca147 View Post
I wonder if the same method would work with the Sony Store
Nope,
Sony only accept US/Canadian credit cards or Gift certificate codes.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:32 AM   #12
toolio
Enthusiast
toolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader/IPAQ 210/Ipod Touch
Is there any way to purchase gift certificates from outside the country and redeem them later. That might be helpful to those with this problem. I know the Sony reader store doesn't block on the basis of out-of-country IP addresses (geoblocking), just credit card addresses. I constantly buy books with my Canadian credit (which has a Canadian address) from Brazil with no problems.
toolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #13
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
I bought The Camel Club from Fictionwise last year in LIT format, deDRMed it and chucked it at Calibre to get it into LRF. Convert Lit is a very nifty tool.
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #14
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolio View Post
Is there any way to purchase gift certificates from outside the country and redeem them later. That might be helpful to those with this problem. I know the Sony reader store doesn't block on the basis of out-of-country IP addresses (geoblocking), just credit card addresses. I constantly buy books with my Canadian credit (which has a Canadian address) from Brazil with no problems.
Anyone with a US or Canadian credit card can buy an online gift certificate and send by email it to someone outside the US to use. The other person can pay by sending money via paypal.
A very kind mobileread member has done it for me in the past.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:20 PM   #15
Mel_Putra
Enthusiast
Mel_Putra is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-300

Quote:

Anyway - i got it!!!!!

Happy now.
Hi Bobby,

I am a bit blur here... But how do you create a new "google checkout"? I do have a US address that I can use but just don't understand the "google checkout"...

Mel
Mel_Putra is offline   Reply With Quote