Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-26-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
Bookworm4eva
Bookworm4eva began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 10
Cover transfer to new Kindle Fire HD 10 with Calibre

Hi everyone,

I have been using a Kindle for several years. Since I felt that my 8-year-old Kindle was somewhat outdated, I just bought a new one – a Kindle Fire HD 10. It’s pretty awesome in general and does tons of things that I don’t even need. BUT: My biggest disappointment (and probably naïve deception) is that my whole structure from the previous Kindle is now gone. I have invested years in converting and uploading books through Calibre and organizing them into lists on my Kindle and now it's all gone.
Anyway, after hours of forum searches and formatting, I managed that all my Calibre books (in mobi format) now appear under “Books” on the new Kindle and not under “Documents” as they all the sudden did.
However, all the individual covers that I have researched and downloaded for my books don’t appear as covers on the new Kindle no matter what I do.
Some forum entries say that the new versions of the Kindle won’t accept individual book covers anymore because the device automatically downloads a cover from Amazon. And you could only change that if you checked a setting under Calibre, which would then disable WhisperSync (which I need since I have different devices) and would also sort all books under “Documents” (which I don’t want).

My question: Do you have any advice on how I could get my individual book covers to appear on the Kindle Fire under “Books”?

Here is what I have done so far: I have deleted all dates, IDs etc. from the metadata on Calibre and uploaded new covers for the books. I have formatted all books under Calibre so that they were again converted to mobi with the tag EBOK instead of PDOC.
Then I sent the books from Calibre to my Kindle visa USB cable (which apparently makes a significant difference to emailing books through Calibre).

Is it possible that a cover must have a certain size, measurements or resolution to appear as Cover on the Kindle Fire?

I am really desperate. I spent so much time working on this with little results.

I really hope you can help me. What use is a fancy HD screen if all you can see is some lousy book cover – blank page with the title written on it.

Thank you very much!
Bookworm4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:27 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...droid-ipad-etc

Note the third and fourth paragraphs.

calibre can only work around this bug on E-Ink devices, not on the Fire.

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-26-2016 at 05:29 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:34 AM   #3
Lizj1
Enthusiast
Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!Lizj1 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, Kindle 3, Kobo H20, Oasis 2
Hi Bookworm,

I'm not sure if this will help you, but I found that I need to "Polish" a book, and imbed the cover into the epub file, then convert it to mobi again. When I transfer this new file, or an AZW3 with the cover imbedded, the covers show up on my fire.

I don't change PDOC to EBOK, at least not conciously, and all my books transferred from calibre show up as books not docs - I think I just had to set things up (maybe in calibre preferences - Sending Books to Devices) so that the books were going to the books folder - I don't have my fire with me today so I can't check. I don't use whispersync though, so things may be different with that.

Anyway, I think imbedding the cover is the key thing.
Good luck!

Liz
Lizj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:42 AM   #4
Bookworm4eva
Bookworm4eva began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 10
Hi Liz,
thanks! I'm still hoping that there will be a fix to this somehow.
What do you mean by "polishing" a book? How do you embed the cover?
I have been using the normal cover function under calibre.
I'm quite sure that I have gone through all the settings but if you feel there is something I could have overlooked, I'm very grateful for the tip!
Thanks!
Bookworm4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:58 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm4eva View Post
Hi Liz,
thanks! I'm still hoping that there will be a fix to this somehow.
What do you mean by "polishing" a book? How do you embed the cover?
I have been using the normal cover function under calibre.
I'm quite sure that I have gone through all the settings but if you feel there is something I could have overlooked, I'm very grateful for the tip!
Thanks!
The Polish Books feature can be accessed by pressing the 'P' key on the keyboard, or by adding the Polish Books icon to one or more toolbars, it looks a like wooden handled a blusher brush

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
covers, kindle fire hd, mobi