Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-06-2008, 08:34 AM   #61
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
I currently read on my treo and on my laptop. I have a Cybook Gen 3 that I just won (yay!) from BooksOnBoard.com. I keep my books on an 8G SD card in my treo along with all sorts of other treo stuff. Videos, mp3s, backups of my calendar, misc files.

At this point I have about 256M of books.

I envision that that the easiest way to have my bookmarks travel across platforms with me is to read them from the card. That's how I manage with my laptop and my treo...the sidecar file with annotations and bookmarks is the same file since I'm always reading from my card. So, I figured I'll do this with my Cybook.

Apparently I figured wrong since my 8G card won't work in my Cybook.

So, really this is why I want wifi or at least Bluetooth in an ebook reader. I'd like to sync my bookmark/sidecar files across my reading devices so that my bookmarks are in sync and I can read from any of my devices and have the right "placemark" no matter where I am. If I had wireless I wouldn't need a large card. (at the moment. I can conceive of a future when I have more than 2G of books...but probably not before I want to retire my current reading devices)
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:47 AM   #62
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Why 2+ GB Cards?

The original question was " Why 2+ GB Cards?". One valid reason for the future is that 2GB and smaller memory cards will eventually become unavailable. Anyone still able to find an 8 MB SD card?

Of course our current readers will most likely be non-functional long before then (or if not, will be relegated to the back of a closet somewhere) but that was not part of the question as stated.

Actually I have over 200 books on a 1 GB card and this is too much. Many of these are to-be-read with some being old favorites that I want to read again.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:04 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The answer as I see it is so you can purchase an 8GB SD card and use it across all deivces that support SD be it your cell phone, digital camera, eink reading device etc.

That way you don't have to purchase multiple cards if you don't need to or you can purchase high capacity ones for swapping between devices.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:43 AM   #64
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
But as internal memory of devices increases, the need to use memory cards lessens. I don't use a memory card on my Gen3; I have close to 300 books on it (many of them "omnibus" versions containing multiple books) and am only using about half the internal memory.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:46 AM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't use a memory card with my 505 to store content. And I have 70-100 eBooks on it at any one time.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #66
Gianfranco
computer scientist
Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Gen 3
Define valid reason. It is perfectly possible to mirror the question as; give a valid reason for having your books on the onboard memory and not on a 2GiB memory.

I happen to have bought a 2GiB SD memory, and my reason? So I can separate my books, I put the sci-fi books on the onboard memory and the technical on the SD card.
Gianfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #67
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and now Kindle 3
One can buy a larger size card and not fill it up fully...

Or fill it with stuff other than ebooks; or are you someone who has all their red socks in one drawer, green in another, etc ???
peterbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:53 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

With a larger then 2gig card, you could say share it between the reader and a digital camera.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:36 PM   #69
Gianfranco
computer scientist
Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbbb View Post
One can buy a larger size card and not fill it up fully...

Or fill it with stuff other than ebooks; or are you someone who has all their red socks in one drawer, green in another, etc ???
No, but I happen to be such an exotic man that I have my t-shirts in a drawer, and my shirts hanging in a separate closet. But then again, I am a very exotic man
Gianfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:11 AM   #70
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I would strongly advice against sharing a card between a camera and anything else. It is the single biggest reason aside from bad cards for lost data on shoots. I am aware of 2 instances of problems with this in the past week. Even sharing a card between 2 different models of camera is a bad idea. Always format a card in the camera before starting a shoot. Try not to have files on a card in a camera that does not support that file type.

As to why a 2gig card, they are cheap so why not?
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:39 PM   #71
ylefox
gadget freak
ylefox has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ylefox has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ylefox has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ylefox has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: cybook gen3 +palm tungsten e,e2,tablet pc
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I find that I can tolerate the lack of folder navigation as I have seven SD cards into which I've sorted my ebooks. But I'm constantly misplacing them! And it always seems as if the next book I want to read is always in the last SD card I check!

Yes, I'll survive, but I want quality of life, damnit!

Derek
i use catfish to catalogue all of my sd cards and number each card, so if i wanted a book by arthur c clark i enter that in the search and it finds which cards have that author on (you can even search by the book title).
that way i dont have to go through my 80+ cards to find which title i want, before you ask i use them for mp3,audio books and jpegs as well.
you can even use the program to list what is on the cybook as it is seen by the computer as another drive.
ps. just ordered my cybook yesterday, at the moment i read from a palm tungsten e2 and with my diabetis i like the idea that the screen is not backlit.
i also have paygo phone(motorola f3 wich uses an e ink screen which i dont have to charge very often........thanks ylefox
ylefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:44 PM   #72
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
As to why a 2gig card, they are cheap so why not?
For me there seemed to be no reason to get anything less, since the price was so small.

With folder support there's no real limit to the amount of books the device can hold while still being useful. So I now have more storage than I could ever want on my Cybook. Shame I don't have that on my DAP :P
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gb, memory, sd card, sdhc