Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-27-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Format deletion

Apologies if I'm missing something obvious, but is there any way to delete a particular format of a book from Calibre's library (from the Calibre UI - I don't mean by going to the relevant folder in window explorer and just deleting the appropriate file)?

The specific case I have in mind is that sometimes when I convert a PDF file to LRF, I end up with something that looks worse on my PRS505 than the PDF (all the fault of the PDF, not the conversion!) If I then want to "undo" the conversion, the only way I can currently see is to delete it from the file system. It would be nice if I could just delete a specific format from the Calibre UI.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:26 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Go into the Metadata dialog for the book. At the top right you are shown the formats that exist. Select any you no longer want and then hit the trash can icon to remove them.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Go into the Metadata dialog for the book. At the top right you are shown the formats that exist. Select any you no longer want and then hit the trash can icon to remove them.
Perfect! That was just what I was after.

Thanks!

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:03 AM   #4
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
Perfect! That was just what I was after.

Thanks!

/JB
Unfortunately it doesn't work for me. I hit the trashcan icon, the chosen format is removed from Calibre library, but the file still remains on the hard disk....
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:06 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Unfortunately it doesn't work for me. I hit the trashcan icon, the chosen format is removed from Calibre library, but the file still remains on the hard disk....
Does that happen for any format removal or only the last one for a given book?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:26 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
I created an empty text file ("DummyBook.txt") and added that to Calibre.

I then went in and edited the meta data. At that point the DummyBook.txt file showed in the list of formats.

I now reset the metadata to the correct value for the title, author, series, cover art etc. When I OK'ed this the BummyBook.txt file was not present in the new folder that was created because I changed the metadata. the only file present was the the cover.jpg file. If you selected the metadata option again from calibre then no formats were shown.

It occured to me that this technique would also allow for including books that I only have in paper form into my Calibre database - probably using a tag of PAPER to identify them
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:12 AM   #7
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Does that happen for any format removal or only the last one for a given book?
Any format. Well, I only checked for html and rtf. What I usually do, I import a an html or an rtf file, edit its metadata and convert it to lrf. The I go back to the edit metadata dialog and remove everything but the lrf file. What happen then is that the files are removed from the program, But they still remain in the directory.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Any format. Well, I only checked for html and rtf. What I usually do, I import a an html or an rtf file, edit its metadata and convert it to lrf. The I go back to the edit metadata dialog and remove everything but the lrf file. What happen then is that the files are removed from the program, But they still remain in the directory.
What OS is this on?

EDIT: Nevermind, will be fixed in next release

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 11-28-2008 at 06:05 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:18 PM   #9
Dave Berk
Fanatic

Already fixed... Wow. Thanks!