Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-21-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Post Your Writepad Templates

With the writepad on the DR1000 not able to automatically create new pages like the iLiad, a good note template is important.

Right now, I'm just using 50 sheets of lined paper as a template for writing notes.

I wish I was more creative, and could come up with a better design.

What does everyone else use?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lined Paper.pdf (171.4 KB, 3013 views)
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
pop along to the "sketching goodies"
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30729

you'll find another 4 useful ones there (single pages)
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
adi
Enthusiast
adi began at the beginning.

Device: irex digital reader
Question Not able to create pages!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
With the writepad on the DR1000 not able to automatically create new pages like the iLiad, a good note template is important.
I am thinking of buying the digital reader, and was confused with this comment.

Suppose I am reading a pdf and want to scribble some notes about what I am reading. To do that, I will need to go to a separate pdf, write there, and then merge the two pdf's together!!! Where is the convinence of digital paper here. I might as well write on a piece of scrap paper, scan it, and merge it with the pdf.

Or did I misunderstand your statement.

Thanks.
Adi
adi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi View Post
I am thinking of buying the digital reader, and was confused with this comment.

Suppose I am reading a pdf and want to scribble some notes about what I am reading. To do that, I will need to go to a separate pdf, write there, and then merge the two pdf's together!!! Where is the convinence of digital paper here. I might as well write on a piece of scrap paper, scan it, and merge it with the pdf.

Or did I misunderstand your statement.

Thanks.
Adi
You misunderstood. When you want to write notes on the DR1000, you press the menu, click the writing button, and select pencil. Now you can write all over the pdf you are currently reading.

My comment was regarding functionality that was in the iLiad software. The notes pages on the iLiad were png's. You could essentially build one page as a template, and on the iLiad, press a "new page" button that would duplicate the base page to give you another to write on. On the DR, you have to create a document that has as many pages as you'd want to use.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #5
adi
Enthusiast

Quote:
You misunderstood. When you want to write notes on the DR1000, you press the menu, click the writing button, and select pencil. Now you can write all over the pdf you are currently reading.
I plan to read journal articles on DR1000. Frequently, the comments that I want to make are big (about one or two handwritten pages), which are hard to make in the margins.

I assumed that I could just add a new page in the pdf and add notes there. Is that possible or not.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #6
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Quote:

Right now, I'm just using 50 sheets of lined paper as a template for writing notes.
Uhm, once a file is "templated" in the PC Companion i.e. has that flag set in the corresponding metadata.db, it automatically creates a new "page" every time you start scribbling on it!

These are labeled originalname 001.pdf, originalname 002.pdf etc. Start writing on those and you will edit the existing page. Start writing on the templated original, and it creates another instance.

To clarify, when I say "page" it assumes a 1-page document, otherwise the entire (multi-page) document is duplicated, like the included "Meeting Notes.pdf" from iRex.

Last edited by allovertheglobe; 10-21-2008 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Clarification
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
I plan to read journal articles on DR1000. Frequently, the comments that I want to make are big (about one or two handwritten pages), which are hard to make in the margins.

I assumed that I could just add a new page in the pdf and add notes there. Is that possible or not.

No, you can not alter the original document. The writing is layered on top (on the reader only!), and can later be merged with the original using the PC companion software.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #8
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:

No, that's not possible.

I think you'll have trouble doing that on any device. The software would have to physically modify the layout of the PDF. There's almost no PDF reading software that can do that now.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #9
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertheglobe View Post
Uhm, once a file is "templated" in the PC Companion i.e. has that flag set in the corresponding metadata.db, it automatically creates a new "page" every time you start scribbling on it!

These are labeled originalname 001.pdf, originalname 002.pdf etc. Start writing on those and you will edit the existing page. Start writing on the templated original, and it creates another instance.
I use my reader as a "notebook". So I want to be able to create an unlimited amount of continuous pages to write on... I create new instances from a template when I want a new notebook to write on for a different subject.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #10
thomega
Connoisseur
thomega began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Quote:
I think you'll have trouble doing that on any device. The software would have to physically modify the layout of the PDF.
No, that's easily done. All the reader has to do is to show an empty page for you to scrible on and to store the finished scribble with a flag indicating to the merging software that it should go on an additional page with the same physical dimensions right after the page you were looking at. That's trivial on the side of the merging program and should be straightforward in the reader.
thomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:50 PM   #11
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
I use my reader as a "notebook". So I want to be able to create an unlimited amount of continuous pages to write on... I create new instances from a template when I want a new notebook to write on for a different subject.
I see. Didn't realize that your pdf consisted of 100 blank pages itself. In that case, yeah, you could just create (re)named copies beforehand and avoid the renaming issue. Hey, at least you're not stuck putting them in the Writepads folder
Old 10-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #12
adi
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomega View Post
No, that's easily done. All the reader has to do is to show an empty page for you to scrible on and to store the finished scribble with a flag indicating to the merging software that it should go on an additional page with the same physical dimensions right after the page you were looking at. That's trivial on the side of the merging program and should be straightforward in the reader.
If this information were available, writing a merging program to insert the page at the correct location (using TeX, for example) will be trivial. But, if DR1000 doesn't allow insertion of pages, there is not much that can be done at a scripting level.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #13
curbarthedog
Enthusiast
curbarthedog began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Try the software attached. With a PDF printer you can create more or less any paper you want. It will do lined, graph, polar plots, perspective. Best of all, its free!

http://pharm.kuleuven.be/pharbio/gpaper.htm
curbarthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:27 PM   #14
adi
Enthusiast

Question On Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertheglobe View Post
Is there a way to convert a pdf into pdf template without the companion software. I am on Linux, so the companion software is not an option.

Adi
Old 11-15-2008, 06:39 PM   #15
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Is there a way to convert a pdf into pdf template without the companion software. I am on Linux, so the companion software is not an option.
No easy way that I know of. In Linux fashion, somebody has to just whip up a little utility, I guess. I'm also mostly using Linux, but keep a Windows boot partition handy for these circumstances.

As I understand it, once SQlite is installed, it could take a shell one-liner to write the corresponding flag to the appropriate metadata.db...