Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #31
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'm hoping to listen to the audio book of Dracula that was free from Audible a couple of weeks back.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #32
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
I've got my Halloween read picked out for this year: The Night Strangers by Chris Bohjalian. Supposed to be really good and creepy.

One I can wholeheartedly recommend is The Monster of Florence by Preston & Spezi. True crime about a serial killer in Italy that has baffled investigators for decades. And the authors actually get involved, one actually accused of being the killer, while writing the book! Utterly fascinating and I spent much of one night reading it in the dark in a cabin in the woods we were staying at...it was creeping me out badly. I mean, my pulse was pounding, every little sound of the trees or the house settling was nerve-wracking, but I couldn't stop reading. Never been that creeped out by a book before.

Last edited by usuallee; 10-04-2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: spelling
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:37 AM   #33
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I think I'm going to read The Exorcist again this month. Fantastic book, scared the crap out of me. Having a hard time getting into the Halloween spirit this year, hopefully this will do the trick.
Make sure you read Legion too. I found it more frightening than the Exorcist.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:42 AM   #34
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Legion is one of my most favorite books of all time. There are some absolutely chilling scenes and ideas in there.

I might add that the movie version is very good as well but it cuts out the subplots which I thought were the best parts of the book. However the movie does contain a scare that scared me so badly that I had to stop it and walk away for a bit, and I've been watching horror movies since I was a kid.

My current favorite horror novel is That Which Should Not Be by Brett J. Talley. Very gothic and Lovecraftian, super atmospheric, and genuinely creepy. It's not really fast paced nor does it have a "Boo!" scare factor but the atmosphere, descriptions and sense of creeping dread are definitely chilling.

Last edited by xg4bx; 10-05-2012 at 12:49 AM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #35
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
That's right! I haven't read it but put it in my wishlist at Amazon for this years Halloween read. Thank you for the reminder! Karma coming your way

And it's DRM free at Amazon

Last edited by Pookeysgirl; 10-05-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #36
pastanley
Zealot
pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 4, Kindle fire HD 10
Heres a book I just completed reading:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/one-...=9781936076925

One OCtober is a short story (63 pages) but it takes place during Halloween. Very well written and easy to read. Highly recommended.
pastanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #37
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury isn't an ebook yet but Audible has a nice rendition.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:00 AM   #38
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Going to pick up The Exorcist, seems as few have recommended it, seen the film but never read the book
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #39
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I think I'll read "The Other," by Thomas Tryon, a book which I've been meaning to read for 30-some years. (Availabe as an ebook where better ebooks are sold. )

Here's one review to whet your appetite:

“If you’re looking for a good scary book to enjoy this Halloween, here is a suggestion: The Other by Thomas Tryon. The 1971 horror classic is a tale of a seemingly bucolic farmhouse in a small Connecticut town in the 1930s. There are no vampires in the story, no ghosts, no swamp monsters or ghouls or zombies or witches. There are two little boys, twins Niles and Holland, the picture of innocence. Or so it seems. The story is told in the voice of one of the boys, now older and a resident of a sanitarium. Insanity, it seems, is a family inheritance, and insanity is at the core of the chilling story that slowly unfolds and culminates in some horrifying deaths.
– Advocate (Baton Rouge)

I collect him in hardback. His novel "Harvest Home" is incredible, but not yet available as an ebook.

I have a strong desire to fondle my First edition Thomas Tryon titles, but unfortunately they're all in storage in the U.S., currently in a climate-controlled storage.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-06-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #40
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I think I'll read "The Other," by Thomas Tryon, a book which I've been meaning to read for 30-some years. (Availabe as an ebook where better ebooks are sold. )
I think The Other is better than Harvest Home--thought it's been a really long time since I read either of these books. Just be sure to avoid any reviews that might contain spoilers.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #41
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I'm considering reading this one.

Johnny Halloween: Tales of the Dark Season by Norman Partridge

or else his Dark Harvest.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:07 AM   #42
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Just finished up Hero by JF Gonzalez, and now reading his Survivor
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #43
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook STR, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've read it. Very dull.
I disagree! I have started reading Dracula and actually stopped reading because it was creeping me out. I though Stoker did a really great job.
purple_fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #44
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_fishy View Post
I disagree! I have started reading Dracula and actually stopped reading because it was creeping me out. I though Stoker did a really great job.
Dracule gives me mixed emotions.

On one hand, I love the story and think it's one of the best stories ever written.
On the other hand, I do not like his writing style at all.

This books makes me go crazy. I start feeling like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde whenever I think about it. Argggh!
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #45
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post

This sounds good. I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote