Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Rescuing your Fictionwise/eReader books

Due to Stanza not currently being supported in iOS5 (and maybe never), I found myself in need of rescuing my eReader (.pdb) books I had bought from Fictionwise....as there are no other iOS apps that suppor the format (to my knowledge).

I added a new credit card to my fictionwise account....that way I knew for sure the username/card# to unlock my books.

Then I bulk downloaded my books from fictionwise, and unzipped the file into it's own directory.

I installed the plugins for Calibre (google "Apprentice Alf"), and set the ereader pluggin with my new account info.

I then imported the books into Calibre, and converted to ePub. All is good.

Next I have to figure out how to get my epub books that are on my iPad in the iBooks app copied to my computer so I don't loose them.

My Amazon kindle books and iBook Store books are, of course, just fine. I could just redownload them from their respective apps as needed.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Due to Stanza not currently being supported in iOS5 (and maybe never), I found myself in need of rescuing my eReader (.pdb) books I had bought from Fictionwise....as there are no other iOS apps that suppor the format (to my knowledge).
The eReader app does and it still works on iOS5 (go figure).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I couldn't find an eReader app for the iPad....is it iPhone only?

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I couldn't find an eReader app for the iPad....is it iPhone only?

Lee
Hmm, might be. Never really tried it on the iPad. I don't really use my iPad for reading (too heavy and bulky).
Old 10-18-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
GreggD
GreggD began at the beginning.

Device: iphone/ipod/pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
The eReader app does and it still works on iOS5 (go figure).

Where can I get the e-reader app for iphone - itouch. I loved it on my ols MS Operating System phone. The only links I can find are to Nook.

Gregg
GreggD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:18 AM   #6
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggD View Post
Where can I get the e-reader app for iphone - itouch. I loved it on my ols MS Operating System phone. The only links I can find are to Nook.

Gregg
You would have had to get it from the Apple App store but it has been pulled. I don't know if that is temporary or permanent.

You can still get the desktop version here:

http://www.fictionwise.com/help/ereader-download.htm
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:06 AM   #7
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You are kidding?! They pulled eReader from the app store. That really ticks me off. They break Stanza and now pull eReader.

Of course, my opprobrium is cast at Amazon for swallowing up Stanza to kill it off (where are the anti-trust enforcers?) and at Barnes & Noble for doing to the same to eReader (it used to let one buy books and download them). These were clearly anti-competitive moves.

I wonder whether the Justice Department would do anything with user complaints about both... they might not be willing to go after banks, but maybe they'd force the release of both apps in to the public domain and Apple to carry their updates.
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:01 AM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson View Post
maybe they'd force the release of both apps in to the public domain and Apple to carry their updates.
Are you kidding? Apple is just as bad. I highly doubt we'd see Stanza being all open if Apple gets their hands on it.

Hmm, I wonder if Amazon will consider porting Stanza to Android... I know they're big on trying to promote their own Kindle format but right now, Stanza would be a very nice epub reader to add to their stable particularly if they optimize it for the Kindle Fire.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 10-23-2011 at 05:03 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
HowardBrazee
Zealot
HowardBrazee began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I have books within my Fictionwise eReader app. How can I get them off my iPad where I can read them with my other reader app(s) - such as Nook?
HowardBrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2
Howard, did your fictionwise books not transfer to Barnes and Noble when Fictionwise closed last year? Mine did. I received an email a few weeks before the close saying that my purchases could be moved to a BN account.
anesthezea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #11
HowardBrazee
Zealot

The books I have on my iPad here are (I think) free books:
Tarzan of the Apes
The Last of the Mohicans
README - eReader 2.1 Guide

I've got lots of books in my Nook app, but not these books. I'd like to pull these out to Nook or Calibre and delete that app.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #12
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardBrazee View Post
The books I have on my iPad here are (I think) free books:
Tarzan of the Apes
The Last of the Mohicans
README - eReader 2.1 Guide

I've got lots of books in my Nook app, but not these books. I'd like to pull these out to Nook or Calibre and delete that app.
You can get a (probably better formatted) version here at Mobileread and just delete what you got from Fictionwise:

Tarzan of the Apes

Last of the Mohicans (PRC format) or this one was the only ePub version I found
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #13
HowardBrazee
Zealot

Thank-you. I'll have to find an editor to split those books up. It's funny to see Last of the Mohicans listed in "world's greatest books". My main use for it is from reading Mark Twain's scathing review of it.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #14
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
You could always download the PRC and convert it to ePub in Calibre. I would imagine that would be easier than splitting up the multi-book "volume".

Or...I believe there's an "omnibus" plug-in for splitting multi-book volumes. I've never played with it though, so I don't know how well it works (or even the plug-in's name).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Or...I believe there's an "omnibus" plug-in for splitting multi-book volumes. I've never played with it though, so I don't know how well it works (or even the plug-in's name).
EpubSplit. I use it all the time. Works pretty well.