Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-06-2020, 09:16 AM   #1
rikkinumber
rikkinumber began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura
Question Kobo aura screen replacement - touchscreen top row unresponsive

Hi everyone,

After a small accident with my Kobo Aura (1st edition, N514) the screen cracked and died, I ordered one from ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-e-ink-ED0...EAAOSwrUdeqXXw) and then proceeded to wait for the shipment to arrive.

Thanks to various posts on the internet, it was easy to find out how to disassemble the device and change the screen. I made sure to unplug the battery when doing this, and also used a heat pack to pry out the old screen. There was plenty of adhesive left so I just pressed in the new screen.

Everything worked great except for touch input along the top of the screen, it just doesn't register anything. Everywhere else on the screen registers touch input. I've tried cleaning the contacts on the ribbon cables with just a drop of isopropanol and making sure they're correctly inserted, but to no avail.

I guess either the screen is defective, or there could be a hardware revision which broke compatibility. I checked the part number of the old one (ED060XH3) in order to get a matching replacement. However, there is a number on the touch screen digitizer ribbon which is lightly different: 131421Q1V1.1-3 the new part I got ends with '5'

Any help greatly appreciated!
rikkinumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:35 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
If it's an IR touch the issue can be misalignment of the bezel, or something not level or not fully pressed together. Certainly the original H2O is IR and is sensitive to the bezel placement. The "humps" are light pipes for IR from the IR LEDs to IR sensing transistors on the other edge.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2020, 03:51 PM   #3
rikkinumber

Hi Quoth,
The KA1 has a capacitive touchscreen which is flush with the front of the device.
I thought about misalignement, I did re-use the same adhesive that was left in the body when I removed the old screen. But the new screen comes as one assembly with screen and digitizer together, so I assume it should even work outside of the body of the device.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:28 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It's likely either damaged or a bad connection, because it's capacitive.
Subtle differences in model number are more likely to be eink related. I think they vary?
The capacitive layers OTH are very simple and standard. If it works at all but one horizontal or vertical strip doesn't that suggests damaged capacitive layer or a bad connection.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:10 AM   #5
rikkinumber

Okay, the eink display works fine, displays everything as it should and refreshes correctly. So I guess the subtle differences in model number aren't an issue.

I thought about a bad contact or damage too. But visually inspecting the capacitive touchscreen connector it seems perfect and brand new. The ZIF connector on the board looks perfect too. Cleaning the contacts on the ribbon cable with a drop of isopropanol didn't help either. What do you think about opening a complaint with the seller?
Advert