Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-15-2020, 12:07 PM   #16
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post

Note that you need google store etc installed to get a good, well maintained epub reader app. Amazon app store is crap.
Depends on the app.
FBREADER is still available free at their website and updated regularly. And their TTS is pretty good.
The paid version doesn't add all that much.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 12:09 PM   #17
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonacker View Post
I was very interested and concerned when I read that you couldn't specify your own DNS. I checked with my Fires, and I found that I could enter OpenDNS, and it seems to persist after a reboot. The most recent OS I was able to try it on was 6.3.1.2. Does the problem only occur on more recent OSes?

It was a little tricky to enter my own DNS. Google's 8.8.8.8 was pre-entered. When I backspaced to delete it, the whole IP popped back as soon as I deleted the final 8.

The fix was to not delete the final 8 and then enter the first part of OpenDNS, so you have 8.208.67. Then you can delete the left-most 8 with the 208.67 remaining. Then add the 222.222. It gets saved and persists through a reboot. I entered a non-existent DNS to test if it is ignoring the customer entered DNS. Addresses were then not resolved proving that it does use the customer entered DNS.
Thanks for the suggested workaround. I have the latest hd10 with special offers. I am not sure of my older hd 8 also force adds 8.8.8.8.
I had previously googled for solutions and failed so you may be ahead of the Reddit etc guys there.
I sideloaded adclear instead which stops most clickbait by enforcing a VPN. Means I have to use a pin on the lock screen though.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2020, 12:10 PM   #18
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
IF your PC see it as an Added Device Yes. You can Also DL the App SEND to Kindle & Calibre can send ebooks to your Amazon account then they can send to what Devices you have on the account for you ... no connecting to PC at all. Then there is the Email to Device option tho that Never worked for me. I can now Side load to my Fire 10... but new PC like old PC wont except the Older Fire HD gen 2/3.
Or you can copy the files to an SD card on the PC.
Once you mount the card most reader apps will see the files.
It's faster than USB for large transfers.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:10 PM   #19
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Depends on the app.
FBREADER is still available free at their website and updated regularly. And their TTS is pretty good.
The paid version doesn't add all that much.
Has to be sideloaded though. Amazon will not let anything with the TTS their app store.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:15 PM   #20
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonacker View Post
I was very interested and concerned when I read that you couldn't specify your own DNS. I checked with my Fires, and I found that I could enter OpenDNS, and it seems to persist after a reboot. The most recent OS I was able to try it on was 6.3.1.2. Does the problem only occur on more recent OSes?

It was a little tricky to enter my own DNS. Google's 8.8.8.8 was pre-entered. When I backspaced to delete it, the whole IP popped back as soon as I deleted the final 8.

The fix was to not delete the final 8 and then enter the first part of OpenDNS, so you have 8.208.67. Then you can delete the left-most 8 with the 208.67 remaining. Then add the 222.222. It gets saved and persists through a reboot. I entered a non-existent DNS to test if it is ignoring the customer entered DNS. Addresses were then not resolved proving that it does use the customer entered DNS.
My experience was slightly different . Go to wireless advanced, modify... Set static IP. Ok.set end. I can type in both open end values but then Google is immediately appended ( as soon as you leave the field and return to network details screen)so I have 3 values.
See here
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8...g-dns-t4008907

Test
I go to taboola.com, blocked in my opendns filters and it still appears. Same with outbrain.com
My test is to block a site or a category in opendns filters then see if it stays blocked.

NB I cannot edit my router DNS. Locked by my ISP, virginmedia

Last edited by stumped; 05-15-2020 at 12:20 PM.
Advert
Old 05-15-2020, 12:15 PM   #21
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Has to be sideloaded though. Amazon will not let anything with the TTS their app store.
I downloaded it with the browser from FBreader.
(Updated it just now.)
Once it finishes downloading it offers to open it, saying yes installs/updates.
The Amazon and Google stores aren't the only sources for good software.
Whenever possible I prefer to buy direct from the publisher.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:27 PM   #22
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I downloaded it with the browser from FBreader.
(Updated it just now.)
Once it finishes downloading it offers to open it, saying yes installs/updates.
The Amazon and Google stores aren't the only sources for good software.
Whenever possible I prefer to buy direct from the publisher.
Fine if you know what you are doing. The tablet comes with
" install from unknown sources "
blocked
And puts up a bit of a fight when you do the sideload Google services procedure

One day they will do an apple and lock it all down. And i will stop buying them when that happens.

Each gen of fire TV is a little more locked than the previous. But I was very pleased to find instructions to add apple' aerial drone screensaver videos and make them a default with a 30 minute runtime on my fire TV. Love those. Have them on pc also. I will never go to the golden gate bridge or the Great wall lot china so the slo mo drone flyovers are the next best rhing
Old 05-15-2020, 12:38 PM   #23
stumped
Wizard

Aerial screensaver
Could probably be adapted for a fire tablet, running in docked mode.
Otherwise, it's great on fire TV
Uses ADP and developer mode

https://www.theandroidsoul.com/chang...aver-apple-tv/

https://i2.wp.com/www.theandroidsoul...60%2C705&ssl=1
Old 05-15-2020, 01:49 PM   #24
bonacker
Connoisseur
bonacker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle g
Quote:
My experience was slightly different . Go to wireless advanced, modify... Set static IP. Ok.set end. I can type in both open end values but then Google is immediately appended ( as soon as you leave the field and return to network details screen)so I have 3 values.
See here
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8...g-dns-t4008907

Test
I go to taboola.com, blocked in my opendns filters and it still appears. Same with outbrain.com
My test is to block a site or a category in opendns filters then see if it stays blocked.

NB I cannot edit my router DNS. Locked by my ISP, virginmedia
I don't have the latest OS with three DNS fields if that's what you were saying. It's pretty straightforward with two DNS fields. The only issue was it was difficult to physically enter the OpenDNS digits without doing what I described. From the XDA thread, it looks like Android or Amazon has made it harder to use one's preferred DNS server.

However, the sites that OpenDNS should have been blocking weren't being blocked even though the only entry for a DNS server was OpenDNS.

So I went to my Windows desktop, and made sure that the DNS was OpenDNS. The blocked domains in my OpenDNS dashboard also resolved on Windows. Then I remembered OpenDNS wasn't using my current IP, but after I fixed that, there was still no blocking using the Windows machine.

I think it must be an OpenDNS issue, or I have not set-up OpenDNS correctly. It doesn't seem to be a Fire issue. By setting a bogus DNS server in the advanced wireless settings on the Fire and observing that no domains resolve, and then setting 208.67.222.222 and observing that all domains are then resolved, I am confident that the tablet is sending DNS queries to the server that is manually entered in the advanced settings. I don't know why OpenDNS isn't blocking. Could there be a new IP for OpenDNS's server that you're supposed to use? I haven't played with this in more than a year.

" I cannot edit my router DNS."
I think the DNS setting on a device always overrides the router setting. That's always been the case for me, but I read on the XDA thread that there is some very complicated stuff going on that I know nothing about.
bonacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:50 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
PPI too LOW. Dont understand why they wont do 300 PPI ...grrrr
Or at least full HD.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:57 PM   #26
stumped
Wizard

See that xda link
There are only 2 dns entry fields, so for dns you can input your 2 values for open dns into those, but when you leave that screen you are back on a summary screen that shows all the advanced settings and there you see that dns line is reverted to
67.208.222.222.67.208.220.220.8.8.8. i.e. 3 sets
Posted the numbers from memory so they may be out of order but hopefully you get the idea.
Bottom line is that without a VPN, you cannot block sites by using a filtered DNS as the Google dns will allow them
The XDA developers link says there is no fix. The tablet will add Google dns to your DNS options, as an extra, 3rd option.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:04 PM   #27
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Or at least full HD.
I looked up an old analysis of mine

I had there fire hd8 has 189ppi 720p screen . As good as 1st gen paperwhite.
The full hd hd10 is a bit higher, over 200ppi
The fire Hdx range was retina quality over 300.

For video streaming you need very good eyesight to distinguish 720p from 1080p on 8 inch screen. I can do it on 10onch, I doubt I could on 8 inch.

In that best android tablets link the Huawei media tab 5 , i8.4 inch is retina quality and much cheaper than samsungs of ipads
I have the 10 inch Huawei and it is best tablet I have ever owned. Full hd for netflix and for Amazon videos, great for reading.. high quality DAC on board, better than anything in a mainstream pc, so audio into studio quality headphones is very very good
Old 05-15-2020, 02:05 PM   #28
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Or at least full HD.
What about that usb C port
Old 05-15-2020, 05:35 PM   #29
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Fine if you know what you are doing. The tablet comes with
" install from unknown sources "
blocked
Settings has a pretty clear toggle on that.
One click to toggle it off. No hacking needed.

It's the first Advanced setting on SECURITY AND PRIVACY.

And if you try to run a downloaded apk it tells you you need to toggle it first.

They don't really care, the default setting is just lawsuit insurance.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:03 PM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
One day they will do an apple and lock it all down.
Nothing in Amazon's history of selling devices suggests to me that this will ever happen. They make token (or possibly even accidental) attempts every now and again, but mostly, I don't think they really care enough to make a serious (or successful) attempt at a total lockdown.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote