Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-15-2020, 09:55 AM   #106
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflyer View Post
Yea, more like book/stealing enthusiasts, maybe can sell them on the other side of town. Or use them to start the fire.

I’m new here and haven’t seen much humor so not sure if attempts at humor are appropriate.
Try some of the smilies under "advanced".
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:07 AM   #107
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
WalMart's customer base isn't what I'd call book/reading enthusiasts.
You'd be surprised.
It's not a class warfare thing, though.
WalMart mostly deals in essentials and day to day stuff.
Not luxury goods or premium versions for disposable income.
Gaming consoles are about as far as they go in that direction.

For example, they move a lot of VIZIO TVs but it's almost exclusively the low end V-series of LCDs. The higher end Quantum P-series and OLED models won't be there because they're slower moving. Computers you'll more likely find a Stream Laptop for kids than an Alienware rig.

It's about volume and speed.
Floorspace costs money and just like B&N added pricey toys and "lifestyle" merchandise to boost the bottom line, Wallmart ads higher priced stuff from time to time: house brand gaming PCs for example.

But their key metric is always money per square foot per day.
And books are at the low end, today.
Over half the market is online and digital and the total market has been flat all decade.

Books are just not a good fit for B&M anymore.
It can be made to work as a specialty and regional draw, like Powell's, but selling "everywhere books" is not a rainmaker.

Last edited by fjtorres; 06-15-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Advert
Old 06-15-2020, 10:30 AM   #108
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
That is lesson everybody has learned.
Germany, for one, is starting up a native electronics industry (from design to chip fabbing) because they realize the techno!ogy base of a country determines the degree to which it controls its future.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...st/ar-BB15fiOK

The US has always known *that* but it allowed too much *production*, especially of medical feedstocks, to move out of the country. There is now an effort to activate the production capacity most recently shut down, in Puerto Rico, because it can be quickly restored.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/07/corona...n-puerto-rico/

The pandemic has shown that border control and local sourcing of at least a minimum of essential supplies is critical to the well-being of a nation, putting an end to the hoary old "distributed competitive advantage" underpining globalization.

Come crisis time, even friendly nations put local needs first.
To say nothing of hostile ones.

There's a new normal coming to global trade.
It won't be just union heads screaming for "build local to sell local".
Do you think this change will really be actioned by governments, or will it be forgotten as the crisis lessens and hopefully passes?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:44 AM   #109
AZBronco
AZBronco began at the beginning.

Device: Kbo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
WalMart's customer base isn't what I'd call book/reading enthusiasts.
Walmart demographics aren't necessarily what the stereotypes lead everyone to believe; a surprising number of people with incomes over 6 figures that primarily shop there. Walmart is also the strongest B&M among shoppers under 25 or over 60 (college kids and retirees)--people that tend to read a lot. And despite all the talk about Amazon ruling the world and people preferring to shop online, B&M still pulls in 84% of shopping dollars in the US.

Regardless, Walmart's business model has always been "stack it deep and sell it cheap." It's about velocity and revenue per square foot/day. Books no longer achieve that except for the latest best sellers. Ereaders have a strong niche following, but they're durable with low innovation--not something people replace every year or even two so they aren't a good fit with Walmart's business model.
AZBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:01 PM   #110
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBronco View Post
Walmart demographics aren't necessarily what the stereotypes lead everyone to believe; a surprising number of people with incomes over 6 figures that primarily shop there. Walmart is also the strongest B&M among shoppers under 25 or over 60 (college kids and retirees)--people that tend to read a lot...
I mean, the thing is, I hear reports like that and I'm not going to argue the facts. But then, I've also occasionally gone to my local Walmart.

Now, I live in a high-end suburb of Houston. Teslas, Mercedes and so on are common and so are multi-million dollar homes.

But I know that if I want to see a guy in a sweat-strained tank top and dirty pink camouflaged pants, Walmart will still manage to come through for me
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2020, 02:14 PM   #111
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Do you think this change will really be actioned by governments, or will it be forgotten as the crisis lessens and hopefully passes?
Depends on tbe country.
Some things being floated around aren't going to happen (Australia nationalizing Chinese owned property, Trillion dollar lawsuits in US courts) but the manufacturing and IP stuff was already on the table in the US.

I believe the Germans, too. Their plan makes sense. So does expanding it.

Reports out of France over medical gear are credible. Franceis to big to rely on the kindness of strangers on life or death matters.

Italy, less so. A lot of countries are in deep debt to China.

And a lot of the chinese owned contract manufacturers were already moving parts of their operations to Vietnam, India, Brazil, and the US. China's role as lowest cost manufacturing site was already fading before the crisis. So a lot of business can diversify while retaining tbeir contractors. The key thing is insuring against the next pandemic. And the one after that. Because they will come.

So it won't be hard for Kobo or other companies to diversify their supply lines.

Microsoft is launching a new gaming console this fall despite the crisis. Their factories and heavily automated, the new boxes were designed for robot assembly, and they are already being built in China *and* Malaysia. They were ready. (In fact, 40 years ago, Bill Gates insisted the company always have enough cash reserves to operate a full year with zero income. Zero layoffs. And with telecommuting and video conferencing they've barely missed a beat.)

Others will follow suit.
Those that don't will be gone soon enough.

If anything, tbe outbreak speaks even more to the need for full automation and since robits are not only outbreak-proof but also more productive, factory geography will matter a lot less.

Again, before the crisis a lot of companies were bringing production back to tbe US because between cheap energy, automation, and transportation costs, local manufacturing makes more sense.

In fact, expect to see more like this:

https://techcrunch.com/2020/05/14/ts...nment-support/

eReaders and all sorts of electronics depend on foundries like these to provide the core chipsets. They are the modern equivalents to steel mills or refineries.

The US has dozens, Europe a handful. Japan and Taiwan a lot.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ication_plants

So yes, believe the Germans.

Running your communications on gear made by a company owned by tbe CCP and PLA is not a good idea for privacy or security.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:22 PM   #112
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I mean, the thing is, I hear reports like that and I'm not going to argue the facts. But then, I've also occasionally gone to my local Walmart.

Now, I live in a high-end suburb of Houston. Teslas, Mercedes and so on are common and so are multi-million dollar homes.

But I know that if I want to see a guy in a sweat-strained tank top and dirty pink camouflaged pants, Walmart will still manage to come through for me
They're not proud.
They'll take anybody's money.

And even people with six figure salaries appreciate cheap TP.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:25 PM   #113
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
They're not proud.
They'll take anybody's money.

And even people with six figure salaries appreciate cheap TP.
I want good quality TP. Cheap TP is disgusting.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:54 PM   #114
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I want good quality TP. Cheap TP is disgusting.
Actually, the Great Value red package TP is the best I've ever used. As good as Charmin Red. I buy it all the time. And honestly, I go to Walmart all the time, and Target. I see the same types of people at Target as I do Walmart, from poor to rich. Like professional football players and their wives rich. Pretty sure Lays potato chips are the same at Target, Harris Teeter, Smith's, Krogers, and Walmart. Heck, the Goodwill parking lot where I live constantly has Jaguars, Beemers and Mercedes in the parking lot.
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:16 PM   #115
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
...even people with six figure salaries appreciate cheap TP.
It's true. But even with all those six-figure earning customers, Walmart doesn't regularly stock caviar. Or high end computers. They don't seem like a natural fit with Walmart's brand.

And neither do ereaders, to go back to the point made in post #104.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:21 PM   #116
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
It's true. But even with all those six-figure earning customers, Walmart doesn't regularly stock caviar. Or high end computers. They don't seem like a natural fit with Walmart's brand.

And neither do ereaders, to go back to the point made in post #104.
Plus they're slow movers.
It's not price but sales volume.
Tbey need big, fast sales for the leverage to get big discounts.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:56 PM   #117
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Plus they're slow movers.
It's not price but sales volume.
Tbey need big, fast sales for the leverage to get big discounts.
Not sure where this is going...
Old 06-17-2020, 04:16 PM   #118
Geared
Geared doesn't litterGeared doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Kobo Nia 6"" EPD w/Carta Display 1024x758
https://store.exertis.co.uk/products...u-bk-k-ep.aspx
Geared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:24 PM   #119
Nightflyer
Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Wow, looks like a website placeholder (not yet open) for a 6”.

Same size as Clara but maybe lower specs including screen. And heavier, 260g, at same size?

Kobo Clara HD 6” EReader specs
Screen: 6” Carta E-Ink touchscreen, 300 ppi, print quality
Display Resolution: 1448 x 1072 pixels
Weight: 166g

Last edited by Nightflyer; 06-17-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:07 PM   #120
mirage
Zealot
mirage has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!mirage has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!mirage has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!mirage has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!mirage has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!mirage has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!mirage has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!mirage has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!mirage has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!mirage has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!mirage has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: OnePlus 6 phone, Kobo Clara HD, Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflyer View Post
Wow, looks like a website placeholder (not yet open) for a 6”.

Same size as Clara but maybe lower specs including screen. And heavier, 260g, at same size?

Kobo Clara HD 6” EReader specs
Screen: 6” Carta E-Ink touchscreen, 300 ppi, print quality
Display Resolution: 1448 x 1072 pixels
Weight: 166g
Maybe that 260 g figure is for the packaged Nia, not just for the device alone.
mirage is offline   Reply With Quote