Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-06-2020, 12:59 PM   #226
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
...Kobo could provide some basic marketing information for the Nia. Why not build some anticipation?
Aside from what everyone else said, I couldn't imagine there would be much anticipation for the Nia. It's a low-end reader almost identical to their previous low-end reader. Not that it's a piece of junk, but there's nothing new about it.

"Hey, we switched the case for the Aura 2 and changed its name!"
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:21 PM   #227
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
This. Also if the delay stretches on longer than anticipated it kills the hype you’ve built for the product. It’s basically pouring money down the drain.
Yeah but, technically, we're not even supposed to know about the Nia. I'm guessing most who don't read Mobile Read won't know it exists. And once it is announced... maybe Tuesday?... it won't have much effect anyhow (until it's put on sale at a big discount at Walmart most people will probably think, "meh" – as other posters have mentioned here). I like it because it "evens out" the Tolino and Kobo product lines, but I'm not looking to buy one (I already own an Aura 2).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2020, 01:32 PM   #228
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Yeah but, technically, we're not even supposed to know about the Nia. I'm guessing most who don't read Mobile Read won't know it exists. And once it is announced... maybe Tuesday?... it won't have much effect anyhow (until it's put on sale at a big discount at Walmart most people will probably think, "meh" – as other posters have mentioned here). I like it because it "evens out" the Tolino and Kobo product lines, but I'm not looking to buy one (I already own an Aura 2).
Probably the case, but they’re still not going to put hurdles in the way of selling it. Kobos marketing seems to mostly be an email blast to current accounts (regardless of device owned) and a YouTube video. I’m sure they send review editions out to some outlets as well.

I also agree the Nia isn’t a head turner it’s the low cost entry level device.
MGlitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:33 PM   #229
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
"Hey, we switched the case for the Aura 2 and changed its name!"
It'll be a mixed bag for the hackers. Apparently the first Aura Edition 2 (version 1) had a removable SD card, but the version 2 had it glued in? So the first edition Aura 2, at least, could get more RAM by replacing the SD Card. The Nia has that SD card glued in but the indications are that it will come with a 16 GB SD Card, so the hackers might have fun trying to enable that extra 8 GBs. An entry level reader with 16 GBs could be attractive (even its 8 GBs is more impressive than the 4 GBs on the Aura 2). Also, I think the Nia will come with 512 MBs of operating memory instead of 256 MBs, which (in theory) should mean it will run a little smoother. That's about it. I like the location of the power button on the Aura 2 better (when I remember where it is).
Old 07-06-2020, 01:48 PM   #230
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
An entry level reader with 16 GBs could be attractive...
It might be, if all 16 were available.

Amazon seems to be silently increasing the Kindle Basic to 8GBs. I wonder if it would be a good idea for Kobo to enable all 16 out of the box.

Hell, if the Page 2 it is based on has been using 16GB since launch and the Nia appears to be doing the same, just commit to it and use it as marketing.
Advert
Old 07-06-2020, 10:38 PM   #231
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Hell, if the Page 2 it is based on has been using 16GB since launch and the Nia appears to be doing the same, just commit to it and use it as marketing.
The Page 2 supposedly has 16 GBs, but only 8 GBs are available.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:34 AM   #232
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I can't help but think we've got the wrong name for the device. Surely it's the Kobo Mia
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:43 AM   #233
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I can't help but think we've got the wrong name for the device. Surely it's the Kobo Mia
Or:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=12

4 months and counting.
But hope springs eternal.
Just ask Charle Brown...

It'll get here...
...someday...

Thing is, what else is out there to talk about in the ebook world?
(The buzz these days is all Lockhart and that's off topic.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:54 AM   #234
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Thing is, what else is out there to talk about in the ebook world?
(The buzz these days is all Lockhart and that's off topic.)
You could always have at it in the Lounge.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #235
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
The Page 2 supposedly has 16 GBs, but only 8 GBs are available.
No, no. I understand that. Maybe I was unclear.

If Kobo has been putting 16GB cards in the Page 2 for its life cycle and they are going to do the same for the upcoming Nia, rather than limiting the cards to 8GB, they should just make it all available and advertise it.

I do understand that there was probably some sort of super deal on 16GB cards and they aren't counting on using them forever or what have you.

But Amazon seems to be using 8GB cards in the Kindle Basic. It's still listed as 4GB, but if an 8GB card is installed, that lucky purchaser gets a Kindle Basic with 8GB internal storage.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:24 AM   #236
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You could always have at it in the Lounge.
Nah.
Its all about vaporware and corporate hypesmanship.
The well is just that dry.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:06 PM   #237
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
No, no. I understand that. Maybe I was unclear.

If Kobo has been putting 16GB cards in the Page 2 for its life cycle and they are going to do the same for the upcoming Nia, rather than limiting the cards to 8GB, they should just make it all available and advertise it.

I do understand that there was probably some sort of super deal on 16GB cards and they aren't counting on using them forever or what have you.

But Amazon seems to be using 8GB cards in the Kindle Basic. It's still listed as 4GB, but if an 8GB card is installed, that lucky purchaser gets a Kindle Basic with 8GB internal storage.
I don't think Kindles use memory cards for storage.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:10 PM   #238
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't think Kindles use memory cards for storage.
Point is this: Basic Kindles are advertised at 4GB, yet some are showing up with 8GB. Whatever storage medium is used, they are putting double in those babies. And they aren't hiding half the storage the way Kobo/Tolino is doing.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:11 PM   #239
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Point is this: Basic Kindles are advertised at 4GB, yet some are showing up with 8GB. Whatever storage medium is used, they are putting double in those babies. And they aren't hiding half the storage the way Kobo/Tolino is doing.
I think Kobo should enable all the storage on the memory card. And given that Kobo uses memory cards, going to 32GB should be fairly cheap.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:30 PM   #240
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
The 32 G is more expensive than 4 or 8 and cost is tricky on an entry level or near entry level device. But whatever it has should be all available.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote