Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-07-2020, 06:58 AM   #31
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Full cast audiobooks are more like the old radio dramas than a book. They put the actors spin on the material rather than relying just on the audience.

Except for non-fiction, which I find close to a classroom lecture, I prefer print where I can imagine the voices and intonations myself.
Different strokes and all that.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:11 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Full cast audiobooks are more like the old radio dramas than a book. They put the actors spin on the material rather than relying just on the audience.

Except for non-fiction, which I find close to a classroom lecture, I prefer print where I can imagine the voices and intonations myself.
If the voices fit the characters, then it works. Same as if when the single reader does the voices and they too work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2020, 08:07 AM   #33
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I feel similarly. For me audiobooks are only for learning, when used with printed content to both drive the content home and slow down the rate at which I read it. Other than that, they are anathema.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:11 AM   #34
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
My ereader has enough memory to handle an omnibus future.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:21 AM   #35
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I feel similarly. For me audiobooks are only for learning, when used with printed content to both drive the content home and slow down the rate at which I read it. Other than that, they are anathema.
Anathema seems overly strong, but obviously mileage varies. My top reason for liking audiobooks is that I get through more content and they serve as entertainment when I’m otherwise occupied. Win/win. I can’t read and drive, more’s the pity.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2020, 09:14 AM   #36
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Anathema seems overly strong, but obviously mileage varies. My top reason for liking audiobooks is that I get through more content and they serve as entertainment when I’m otherwise occupied. Win/win. I can’t read and drive, more’s the pity.
Give it time.
Robot cars exist. The laws (and meatbag drivers) are the limiting factor.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:25 AM   #37
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Anathema seems overly strong, but obviously mileage varies.
Indeed. For me, audiobooks in general are as fingernails across the chalkboard of whatever passes for my soul.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:00 AM   #38
Gardenman
Guru
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, iRiver Story HD - Gave to Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There are even more different types of audiobooks.
  1. There's the ones where the reader just reads the book with no doing voices.
  2. There's the ones where the reader does voices for the different characters.
  3. There's ones with a partial cast where the readers do different voices.
  4. There's the ones with a full cast where different people read the different characters.

I've got two audiobooks on the go. One fits 2 and the other fits 4.

His Dark Materials series are excellent audiobooks. Philip Pullman is the narrator and it has a full cast. The voices fit the characters very well. It's almost listening to a radio drama but without the sound effects.

Another full cast audiobook I really enjoyed was Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.
Where did you get the books for Dark Materials and Ender's Game?
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:08 AM   #39
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
1a: The publisher adds music and effects that make it hard to follow the reading!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:23 PM   #40
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
Where did you get the books for Dark Materials and Ender's Game?
Probably here:

https://www.audible.com/series/His-D...oks/B006K1ML9G

https://www.audible.com/search?keywo..._header_search

Audible serves the UK, right?
Old 05-07-2020, 03:08 PM   #41
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Yes, Amazon's talking Books are in the UK and Ireland. Amazon's Audible is the market leader.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:10 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are some problems with audiobooks. For example, I cannot watch TV and listen at the same time But I can read some and watch TV at the same time depending on what's on/
Old 05-07-2020, 04:31 PM   #43
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
...I can read some and watch TV at the same time depending on what's on/
I can't do that. The noise of the TV pulls me out of reading.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:32 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I can't do that. The noise of the TV pulls me out of reading.
It does depend on the book and the TV program. Like I'm on MR while the TV is going.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:35 PM   #45
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
It does depend on the book and the TV program. Like I'm on MR while the TV is going.
Internet plus TV doesn't bother me. Probably because the concentration required is different.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote