Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Whose debut will we witness in August?
The Winter Queen by Boris Akunin 2 33.33%
A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman 3 50.00%
Some Tame Gazelle by Barbara Pym 2 33.33%
I Am a Cat by Soseki Natsume 5 83.33%
Fer-de-Lance by Rex Stout 3 50.00%
Every Day is Mother's Day by Hilary Mantel 2 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #16
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I have always found Soseki to be relatable, but I have a passing knowledge of the Japanese language and have read many books on the history of Japan and its culture. Hopefully, I can contribute to the conversation in a useful way.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:00 PM   #17
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I am looking forward to this novel. One of my favorite reads last year was a modern Japanese novel, The Traveling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa. Therefore I am curious to read another cat book from a different era.

Perhaps a quick overview of the Meiji era of Japanese history (time period when the book was written) might be helpful in understanding the satire.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meiji_(era)
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2019, 12:54 AM   #18
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I have always found Soseki to be relatable, but I have a passing knowledge of the Japanese language and have read many books on the history of Japan and its culture. Hopefully, I can contribute to the conversation in a useful way.
I worked for a Japanese company for 10 years. But sadly, the limit of my Japanese is about a half dozen words or phrases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I am looking forward to this novel. One of my favorite reads last year was a modern Japanese novel, The Traveling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa. Therefore I am curious to read another cat book from a different era.

Perhaps a quick overview of the Meiji era of Japanese history (time period when the book was written) might be helpful in understanding the satire.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meiji_(era)
Thanks for that. It should help.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:50 PM   #19
Twitchly
Bookish
Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Sony Pocket Reader
I’m in. The preview on Amazon looked promising.

Of course we’ll have to read a dog book next month. Equal time, etc.
Twitchly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:46 AM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchly View Post
I’m in. The preview on Amazon looked promising.

Of course we’ll have to read a dog book next month. Equal time, etc.
Oh, excellent!

If you want a dog book the next time, you'll just have to come up with one that fits (it can be a stretch) with the theme for September, Labour of Love: Working Class. But in terms of equal time, I'll note that you're our fourth cat avatar and we've got only one dog.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2019, 07:35 AM   #21
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Cats would never agree to equal time with dogs. They have never got over being gods in ancient Egypt.

Maybe a biography of a guide dog would fit the next theme, always supposing there was such a book! They are certainly amazing dogs.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:59 AM   #22
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Oh, excellent!

If you want a dog book the next time, you'll just have to come up with one that fits (it can be a stretch) with the theme for September, Labour of Love: Working Class. But in terms of equal time, I'll note that you're our fourth cat avatar and we've got only one dog.
There is an awful lot about his working dog Floss in James Rebanks excellent A Shepherd's Life.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:39 AM   #23
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Balto the sled dog is the subject of several books, including The Cruelest Miles.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:46 PM   #24
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Clearly, there are possibilities! The Rebanks book sounds particularly interesting, especially to one who bemoans the death of the seminal British television series One Man and His Dog.

I admit, I had a more prosaic set of books in mind when I suggested this theme, but if there's one thing we've all seen in the last year and a half, it's that themes have a life of their own!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:03 AM   #25
Twitchly
Bookish
Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Twitchly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Sony Pocket Reader
Or Chet, hard-working private eye dog extraordinaire in Spencer Quinn’s series. Another animal narrator for Issy!

That does feel like a bit of a stretch, though. Were there any dogs in “Grapes of Wrath”?
Twitchly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:26 AM   #26
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchly View Post
Or Chet, hard-working private eye dog extraordinaire in Spencer Quinn’s series. Another animal narrator for Issy!

That does feel like a bit of a stretch, though. Were there any dogs in “Grapes of Wrath”?
Heh. Dog on It was nominated last November, as an unreliable narrator. (It could be nominated again.)
Old 07-28-2019, 07:58 AM   #27
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So how are people going with I Am a Cat? I started a couple of days ago as it's very long - my iPad says 764 pages, but of course that will vary from one device to another.

I'm into Chapter 3, and I must say that although it reads easily enough, I am finding it rather hard going. No doubt this is at least partly because of my lack of understanding of Japanese culture and attitudes.

Without trying to start a discussion before time, I'm curious to know if others are enjoying it or finding it hard work?
Old 07-28-2019, 05:22 PM   #28
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Hard work. I have read two chapters so I’m on Page 70 of 471 according to my Kindle.

I don’t know if your book has an Introduction or if you perhaps skipped it to avoid spoilers. It says the early parts of the book are uneven and jerky. The second chapter is nearly the longest of all. It says in the third chapter that he finally “hit his stride” in “tone, length, and character” so maybe it will get easier as we continue reading past Chapter 3.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:30 PM   #29
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Hard work. I have read two chapters so I’m on Page 70 of 471 according to my Kindle.

I don’t know if your book has an Introduction or if you perhaps skipped it to avoid spoilers. It says the early parts of the book are uneven and jerky. The second chapter is nearly the longest of all. It says in the third chapter that he finally “hit his stride” in “tone, length, and character” so maybe it will get easier as we continue reading past Chapter 3.
Oh, thank you! I did skip the introduction to avoid spoilers and this is good news.

I'm at roughly the same point as you; I started earlier than usual because it's long. It moves quickly and it's witty, but I was starting to wonder if he was going anywhere with it.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:38 PM   #30
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

And thank you from me too, Bookworm-Girl. I had left the Introduction for later, as they so often do have spoilers.

Okay, I shall plough (or plow) on and see how things develop.