Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-07-2015, 01:29 PM   #16
SabaEdge
SabaEdge began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
You can easily convert books from ePub to AZW3 with Calibre (freeware), however, if your father has mostly ePubs, it'd make more sense to buy a Kobo, because then he wouldn't have to convert anything and he could also install additional Tamil fonts. If I were in your situation, I'd definitely buy a Kobo, unless Kindles are significantly cheaper and your father has sufficient computer skills.
I will convert and give him the document or can use the mail feature. But i am from india, here kindle is known brand. Kobo is rarely available and support is poor. So i am just thinking to get a kindle touch.
SabaEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:12 PM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabaEdge View Post
I will convert and give him the document or can use the mail feature. But i am from india, here kindle is known brand. Kobo is rarely available and support is poor. So i am just thinking to get a kindle touch.
While I agree with Doitsu that the Kobo would be a better fit for you, the availability and support is important. If nothing goes wrong, the support doesn't matter, but if you need it, you really need it. Needing to convert the books is a hassle, but not much of one. But, if you and your father aren't in the same location the Kindle email feature is probably the killer function for you.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2015, 09:42 PM   #18
SabaEdge

Thank you both. one more question. How to know if there is any tamil newspaper available for kindle? I can see some indian english version.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:06 AM   #19
amazon author
Cracking Coding Interview
amazon author began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Thank you both. one more question. How to know if there is any tamil newspaper available for kindle? I can see some indian english version.
Popular tamil newspapers must be supporting tamil language.
amazon author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:43 AM   #20
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
You can use Calibre's Fetch News feature to automatically generate ebooks from websites that have RSS feeds.
Currently, Calibre doesn't come with predefined recipes for Tamil news sites, but you can generate your own recipe, if the news site has an RSS feed. For example, BBC Tamil has an RSS feed and most likely all major Tamil newspapers will have websites with RSS feeds, too.
Try generating a recipe using these instructions. If you can't get it to work, ask in the Calibre Recipes forum for help.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #21
SabaEdge

thanks for the idea. will that be supported in kobo touch as well?
Old 04-09-2015, 11:58 AM   #22
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thanks for the idea. will that be supported in kobo touch as well?
AFAIK, the Calibre Fetch News feature can generate books in all supported Calibre output formats, including epub and kepub. However, since I don't use this feature, you may want to ask specific questions in the Calibre Recipes forum.

You can also apparently request a recipe for a specific news site in that subforum. Once you have a recipe, you could then test the book that it generates with the built-in Calibre ebook viewer.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:17 PM   #23
SabaEdge

I saw a site which will mail the news to email id automatically http://www.zinepal.com/what

I have generated one mobi and epub file for the tamil news. can you both please try that and let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi 247785.mobi (283.6 KB, 1145 views)
File Type: epub 247785.epub (277.0 KB, 282 views)
Old 04-09-2015, 02:43 PM   #24
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have generated one mobi and epub file for the tamil news. can you both please try that and let me know.
As I've already pointed out several times in this thread, you must convert epub files to azw3 files not mobi files.

To illustrate the difference I've taken screenshots of the mobi file that you attached and an azw3 file that I generated. You can clearly see that there are major display issues with the old mobi format.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle_mobi.png
Views:	443
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	137022   Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle_azw3.png
Views:	426
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	137023  
Attached Files
File Type: azw3 sabaedge's eBook.azw3 (213.6 KB, 259 views)
Old 04-12-2015, 05:40 AM   #25
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I saw a site which will mail the news to email id automatically http://www.zinepal.com/what

Attached are two screenshots. The first is the same page as Doitsu. The other is the first page with a picture.

Comparing these to the Kindle, I don't see enough difference to choose between them. The differences are in the choices of font size, margins used an line spacing. I think they are both good enough that deciding between the Kobo and Kindle can be based on which you can get and the support available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glo-TamilTest-epub-news-picture.png
Views:	409
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	137142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Glo-TamilTest-epub-news-headline.png
Views:	417
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	137143  
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:43 PM   #26
SabaEdge

Thanks guys. Finally i bought a Kindle for my father. I am facing issue in converting a book to kindle format. Can you please help on this. I have attached the pdf.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf alai osai 1 - Kalyan.pdf (417.3 KB, 327 views)

Last edited by SabaEdge; 06-04-2015 at 12:48 PM. Reason: changed
Old 06-04-2015, 01:17 PM   #27
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Since very few MR members read Tamil, you'll have to be more specific regarding the problems that you're facing.

If you're trying to convert a .pdf file to an .azw3 file with Calibre you shouldn't expect perfect results, because even utf-8 encoded Latin alphabet based .pdf files rarely convert well.

This particular .pdf also won't convert well at all, because it's not encoded in utf-8 but TSCII. You may want to search for the original TSCII etext, convert it with an TSCII to Unicode converter and then convert the Unicode text file to an AZW3 file.

If that's all too complicated for you, try to resize the original file for 6" screens with k2pdfopt.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:50 AM   #28
aarunsen
aarunsen began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 7th generation
All kindle versions

All kindle versions after kindle first touch version supporting tamil fonts as a native supporting language with bold option. You can find many tamil books on amazon.in

Hope this one helps.
aarunsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:13 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you have many PDF, get an iPad as converting from PDF is can produce very poor results. Reading the PDF as is is not a good idea on an eInk screen of 6".
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:14 AM   #30
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
For exotic writing systems, the best choice is a device where you can try out a bunch of different software. Something is bound to work.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, kindle touch, kobo, kobo touch, tamil