Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-28-2019, 11:14 AM   #991
ratinox
Evangelist
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The question refers to dual-booting two different versions of OS X. Is that possible?
Yes, with pain. The older OS drive needs to be removable, and it must be removed from the machine when the newer OS is booted. Otherwise the newer OS will quietly run "upgrades" to the filesystem which the old OS will not know about and can make the old OS unbootable.

There may be other problems. I don't know. I only found the filesystem problem the hard way and gave up on dual-booting after that.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #992
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Which is fine as long as the developers are still around .
well, yes, there is that. Abandon wear happens on iOS devices a lot more than on the Mac, but there are some programs out there with very minimal updates. I use Yojimbo, but I'm not sure when the last time they added functionality. Mostly it's just recompile to make it compatible with the current MacOS. I think Adobe abandoned Photoshop for the Mac a while back. Kind of odd since that was on of the programs that made the Mac. I'm still trying to find a photo repository program that I actually like on the Mac. Once again, very odd since the Mac use to be the platform of choice for photographers.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2019, 12:05 PM   #993
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
Yes, with pain. The older OS drive needs to be removable, and it must be removed from the machine when the newer OS is booted. Otherwise the newer OS will quietly run "upgrades" to the filesystem which the old OS will not know about and can make the old OS unbootable.

There may be other problems. I don't know. I only found the filesystem problem the hard way and gave up on dual-booting after that.
I just bought an older mac mini and keep that at Sierra. It's a lot easier than dual booting and two year old mac mini's are pretty cheap.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:48 PM   #994
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
The move to 128bit is not going to happen for consumer devices in the foreseeable future. The only (practical) reason to move from 8 to 16 to 32 to 64 bit was for being able to access more RAM. Even current smart phones cannot do without 64bit anymore as they now have memory in excess of 4GB. Breaking through the 64bit memory barrier is highly unlikely to happen. 16 exa byte - that is 16 thousand terra byte. Maybe when normal person storage needs reach that high can you think about 128bit cpu for mainstream users.
I would not say it's going to happen any time soon. But it _will_ happen. Whether any normal human cares? Well, I doubt I'll be around by then to know.

I routinely run on a desktop with 64GB of RAM, and my server has 128 GB. But then, I'm only a SOHO.

Breaking the limitations of 32-bit was huge for me. But I can't see a need to go beyond 64-bit.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:50 PM   #995
ratinox
Evangelist
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I just bought an older mac mini and keep that at Sierra. It's a lot easier than dual booting and two year old mac mini's are pretty cheap.
That's an option. I don't recommend it as I don't recommend adopting any legacy system as a future-proofing scheme.

ADE 2.0.1 runs well with WINE on either Macintosh or Linux. Some hoop-jumping is required because it's a .NET application but the hoops are documented over on the wiki:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/ADE_2.0.1_Linux
Advert
Old 02-28-2019, 08:17 PM   #996
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I would not say it's going to happen any time soon. But it _will_ happen. Whether any normal human cares? Well, I doubt I'll be around by then to know.

I routinely run on a desktop with 64GB of RAM, and my server has 128 GB. But then, I'm only a SOHO.

Breaking the limitations of 32-bit was huge for me. But I can't see a need to go beyond 64-bit.
I am sure it will eventually happen. At least in theory. And like you I probably won't be around anymore to see it. Doubling bits does not sound very impressive, except it is a lot faster than any exponential function. It is exponential growth when plotted on a exponential scale. The growth of storage is merely a function that doubles every so often.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:47 PM   #997
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
That's an option. I don't recommend it as I don't recommend adopting any legacy system as a future-proofing scheme.

ADE 2.0.1 runs well with WINE on either Macintosh or Linux. Some hoop-jumping is required because it's a .NET application but the hoops are documented over on the wiki:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/ADE_2.0.1_Linux
The various DRM removal software for iTunes works just fine on Windows, so running Wine or dual booting to windows is always an option as well. I had the mac mini available and it suits my needs just fine.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:15 AM   #998
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I think Adobe abandoned Photoshop for the Mac a while back.
They certainly did not! PhotoShop is a part of Adobe's "Creative Cloud".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:18 AM   #999
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2, Onyx T68 Lynx
Quote:
The various DRM removal software for iTunes works just fine on Windows, so running Wine or dual booting to windows is always an option as well. I had the mac mini available and it suits my needs just fine.
iTunes?! My solution for Apple DRM is to never buy anything with it in the first place.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:40 AM   #1000
ratinox
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
iTunes?! My solution for Apple DRM is to never buy anything with it in the first place.
Apple: You can buy better but you won't pay more.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:45 AM   #1001
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is not the place for "advocacy". Take it to the Lounge if you want to play that sort of game.

Thank you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:09 PM   #1002
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They certainly did not! PhotoShop is a part of Adobe's "Creative Cloud".
Yea, but does it run on the Mac, or does it run on the cloud?
Old 03-02-2019, 03:12 PM   #1003
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
On the mac (for the "clasic" version.)
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:45 AM   #1004
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Yea, but does it run on the Mac, or does it run on the cloud?
Creative Cloud programs are still downloaded to and installed on your local machine.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:23 AM   #1005
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Creative Cloud programs are still downloaded to and installed on your local machine.
I never really got the joys of Cloud programs for consumers, but to each his own.