Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-18-2020, 03:40 AM   #2791
smolchy
smolchy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
hello.

I'm trying to Jailbreak PW2 with the firmware 5.12.2 and there is just no way, to get to an update of Kindle...it is greyed out... I tried to restarted/reseted a couple of times and I can not get it to work...any suggestions?

I read like 10 times trough tutorial with Q&A, nothing helps...
smolchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:44 AM   #2792
smolchy

okay, I just realized that I'm f*c**d with 5.12.2...any suggestion?
Old 06-18-2020, 11:53 AM   #2793
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolchy View Post
okay, I just realized that I'm f*c**d with 5.12.2...any suggestion?
serial port jailbreak:

linux: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...90&postcount=1

windoze: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:54 AM   #2794
smolchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
wow...that is something! thank you! it will be a lot of work...but I notice yesterday, that the battery is very bad (I get this PW2 from a friend)
...so I was wondering, how to change the battery...so now I have everything I need! Thank you for this link!
Old 08-28-2020, 11:24 AM   #2795
pix@pics
pix@pics began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
hi I am talha i have kindle 8th gen white. When i searched its model no (which is G000 KA05 8376 04NB ) i found it code as KT3 and the firmware version is Kindle 5.13.1 .
I tried the above mentioned method and its not working.
Here are the steps i am taking:-
1. Download the tar.gz archive .
2. Extract out the content and then extrat the content of kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip to the root of kindle.
3. Going for the update option but its not hightlighted , like its not clickable.

Please help
Guide me to right forum or thread.
Talha.
pix@pics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 01:31 PM   #2796
sorg
sorg began at the beginning.

Device: SNE60
Hi !

I have a PW2 with firmware 5.12.2 .
What is the step by step process to jailbreak it ?
I find the first post of this topic really confusing. Is it up to date ?
sorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:27 PM   #2797
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorg View Post
Hi !

As it says in the title, this thread applies to firmware versions 5.0.x - 5.4.4.2. Those versions predate 5.12.2 by many years.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:29 PM   #2798
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorg View Post
Hi !

Software jailbreak will not work for firmware 5.12.2

See below for hardware jailbreak using the serial port inside the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:43 AM   #2799
sorg
sorg began at the beginning.

Device: SNE60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
As it says in the title, this thread applies to firmware versions 5.0.x - 5.4.4.2. Those versions predate 5.12.2 by many years.
indeed. Sorry, i did not notice that.
Where is the topic for the latest firmware ?
sorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:38 AM   #2800
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Stickied.

But it won't help you much, as @j.p.s already gave you the links to what will *actually* work on your device (i.e., not a software JB).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 05:39 PM   #2801
Homer_S
Homer_S began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Any harm in running the JB Hotfix twice? I'm not 100% certain I ran it once... anyway to know? Is there a clearly changed file I can navigate to and say "Oh yes... I ran the JB Hotfix."

Homer
Homer_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:20 PM   #2802
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Homer_S: Not really, not without shell access and having a vague idea of what you're looking for.

Thankfully, it's perfectly safe to rerun it .
Old 11-07-2020, 12:14 AM   #2803
Homer_S
Homer_S began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Homer_S: Not really, not without shell access and having a vague idea of what you're looking for.

Thankfully, it's perfectly safe to rerun it .
I'm not afraid of shell... I used to root my DirecTiVo back in the day. But I'm happy just to rerun. Also, I've had this thing for like a year and never had the WiFi on. I'd like to turn it on without Amazon undoing all the work. Also, I might like to register... I assume that is safe to do?

Homer
Homer_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:31 AM   #2804
NiLuJe
BLAM!

It's kind of a catch-22, as you kinda need a working JB to install USBNet in the first place ;p.

But feel free to check out the bridge script if you have some time to waste ^^.

----

You'll probably want to look into the various ways people have come up with to block OTA updates before turning WI-Fi on. If your device is still currently on an older FW, the KUAL helper extension's block OTA button should do the trick, though.

I can't quite recall quite what the cutoff point was for this method being defeated, though. 5.10.x?
Old 11-07-2020, 08:33 AM   #2805
NiLuJe
BLAM!

When in doubt, check my own doc ;p.

If I got that right, the block button stopped being effective on FW >= 5.12.x

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch