Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2015, 12:20 PM   #1
paxmark1
Enthusiast
paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Glo
Solved: Kobo glo unresponsive

My 3 y.o. glo was 'stuttering" showing the wrong recent book when sleeping, putting closed books at the end of the recently read section instead of the beginning, etc. I backed up on a linux machine and was ready to do my first ever back to factory default. I have .kobo and .koboimages

However, it was out of case and it fell 2 feet. It will turn on if plugged into a usb via charger or via computer - but will not turn off or on via the power switch.

The usual first screen will come on with no artifacts or cracks noted. Soon after the 'Computer detected" screen will overlay and the choice of cancel or connect is displayed. However all touch input is unresponsive.

I can perform a hard reboot after removing the usb from power source, but again, neither the on/off switch nor the touch screend works.

I can see on the router that it sees the kobo as 192.168.100.107 but I cannot ssh in - but what username to use prior to @192.168.100.107 and would that work to an unmodified kobo? Does it use an alternative port - not 22?

1. Any ideas about a way to get into the unit via my wifi connection to it?

2. Is there any chance I might see something that I could fix after opening it up after draining all power?

3. Are there any parts inside that I would like to salvage if it is scrap

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by paxmark1; 12-01-2015 at 10:23 PM. Reason: solved
paxmark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 03:13 PM   #2
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxmark1 View Post
My 3 y.o. glo was 'stuttering" showing the wrong recent book when sleeping, putting closed books at the end of the recently read section instead of the beginning, etc. I backed up on a linux machine and was ready to do my first ever back to factory default. I have .kobo and .koboimages
It happen to me once when i have too match books in status:read.
go to books>show:reading, and mark all the books you not reading status:unread/finshed.

Quote:
However, it was out of case and it fell 2 feet. It will turn on if plugged into a usb via charger or via computer - but will not turn off or on via the power switch.
Edit: first see if the back cover is closed correctly, no gap between the cover and device, if there is a gap close it and check.
If it didn't work, open the back cover see here how.
with your right hand press gently on the left top corner of the board, and with your right turn on power switch, see if it works.

Quote:
The usual first screen will come on with no artifacts or cracks noted. Soon after the 'Computer detected" screen will overlay and the choice of cancel or connect is displayed. However all touch input is unresponsive.

Is the touch screen is not working or you only can't connect it to PC?
if touch screen is not working my only suggestion is to disconnect and reconnect IR cable.

Last edited by oren64; 12-01-2015 at 05:40 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:27 PM   #3
paxmark1
Enthusiast
paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.paxmark1 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Thanks, upon looking I noticed that the case had come loose for about 1 cm a very short distance, popping it back into place made the touch screen responsive and also the power button to function.

And pruning from 14 "pages" of books in process down to 9 seems to have the proper book cover show on the home page.

I still am thinking about a factory default reset, but will wait.

Again, thanks
paxmark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:51 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Good to hear that you have the switch and touch problem fixed.

The wrong cover during sleep is something that has happened with different versions of the firmware. 3.18.0 doesn't have a problem, but you don't mention which it is.

Another reason for this, and could explain the ordering of books, is having the date and time incorrect. These functions use the timestamp of when the book was read. If you read some books then set the date to an earlier time, when you read the next book, the timestamp would be earlier and hence show in the wrong positions in the lists. Removing some books might seem solve this if you removed the books with the most recent timestamp.

As to access, Kobo do not enable telnet, ssh or an other incoming access method. There are several ways to enable them yourself.

And if you do end up with a dead device, other than the screen and the internal micro SD card, I don't know if there is anything useful in these devices. But, someone would probably be willing to take it off your hands. There are a few evil-scientist types here willing to do all sorts of experiments on Kobo devices (don't deny it, you know who you are! And stop that maniacal laughter).
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo glo, salvage, ssh, unresonsive