Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 04:19 PM   #211
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
(The real reason for not teaching Shakespeare in school, or most of the other books that get taught in high school, is that kids don't enjoy him and forcing them to read "the classics" mostly just teaches them to hate reading.)
I've been saying that on MR for a long time now. I agree that making kids read Shakespeare and other really awful books can very easily put kids off on reading. I know I hated Shakespeare because of school and I still do. I will never read anything by him. Other books such as A Canterbury's Tale I found to be awful. However, Hyperion by Dan Simmons I found to be very good and it's very similar. There were other books I really didn't like.

The way a book is taught can influence how it is perceived. I can see disliking a book because of the teacher when otherwise, it might have been enjoyed. School spoils too many books and too many kids don't want to read because of school.

Fortunately, by the time I got to the point in school where books were being destroyed in class or were just awful to start with, I was already enjoying reading for pleasure.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:39 PM   #212
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
It's a tough question for you. Me, I happily read everything I want to read, no matter who the author is.
If there was an author you would not read because you disliked the author, would you read other works based off this author's work?
Old 07-16-2020, 04:41 PM   #213
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've been saying that on MR for a long time now. I agree that making kids read Shakespeare and other really awful books can very easily put kids off on reading. I know I hated Shakespeare because of school and I still do. I will never read anything by him. Other books such as A Canterbury's Tale I found to be awful. However, Hyperion by Dan Simmons I found to be very good and it's very similar. There were other books I really didn't like.

The way a book is taught can influence how it is perceived. I can see disliking a book because of the teacher when otherwise, it might have been enjoyed. School spoils too many books and too many kids don't want to read because of school.

Fortunately, by the time I got to the point in school where books were being destroyed in class or were just awful to start with, I was already enjoying reading for pleasure.
Exactly. It's all in how the books are taught. Both of my kids like Shakespeare because of the way they were taught. My daughter's teacher related Romeo and Juliet to Twilight, and boom--all of the girls (and some of the boys) started reading Shakespeare. My son's teacher gave the students summaries of the stories and allowed them to choose one to read in class as a play, with different students doing different parts. This not only inspired a love of Shakespeare in some students, it also inspired a love of drama in some. Even the students who didn't end up loving Shakespeare, at least didn't hate the lesson.

When I was in High School, we read R&J, then watched the movie. We also watched West Side Story, and discussed the similarities and differences between the two movies and the play. We also learned about Shakespeare the person, and the times that he lived in.

Teachers are so *incredibly* important. They all make a difference in our children's lives, whether it's for the good or bad.

Shari
Old 07-16-2020, 04:41 PM   #214
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I'm not really sure what you're saying here, but I'll take a stab at it.

Most of the works that are in the same universe that Lovecraft made don't require you to have read any Lovecraft. I'd actually be surprised if any really do. You might get more from the second hand works if you'd read Lovecraft, but you could probably get through everything having read wikipedia entries for his work. And if folks are going to object to even that, well I think we'd have to agree to disagree at that point.
Thing is, why base your work off of a horrible person? Why not come up with your own ideas?
Old 07-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #215
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Thing is, why base your work off of a horrible person? Why not come up with your own ideas?
Because not everyone knows that Lovecraft was a "horrible person" This is the first I've heard of it, to tell you the truth...

Shari
Old 07-16-2020, 04:48 PM   #216
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I say we don't read the works of others based on Lovecraft's work if we should read Lovecraft before the other works in order to get more out the other works. Because that means the newer books are kindle of forcing us to read Lovecraft in order ot get the most out of the newer books. So no thank you.
Lovecraft didn't write a series. There's no ongoing storyline. He just wrote a number of stories that shared similar theme and they would often reference imaginary books like the Necronomicon. I don't believe there's a need to read Lovecraft or even be familiar with his name to enjoy Lovecraftian fiction.

Of course, I have no problem reading Lovecraft, though his racism and purple prose does wear on the reader. His racism was extreme even for his time. But the more I learn about Lovecraft, he comes off as a sad, damaged man fearful of everything. Not that that excuses his attitudes.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #217
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
If there was an author you would not read because you disliked the author, would you read other works based off this author's work?
If I was interested in them, yes. But it's hardly likely, because the only reason I wouldn't have read the original work would be my lack of interest in it. So I wouldn't be interested in other works based on the original either.

If you mean I disliked the author, but was interested in their work and just didn't read it on principle, nah. That's not going to happen. If I was interested, I would read it.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:50 PM   #218
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Because not everyone knows that Lovecraft was a "horrible person" This is the first I've heard of it, to tell you the truth...

Shari
Look into anything Lovecraft for more than a few minutes or read some of his stories and it is unavoidable.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:56 PM   #219
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Everything is based off of earlier things. If you're going to ditch everything influenced by Lovecraft, you've just lost a whole bunch of popular culture.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:46 PM   #220
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Moderator Notice
The thread is closed.

Everyone’s had their say; the posts are starting to repeat; the mods have agreed that no purpose can be served by leaving it open, while closing it prevents those posts that have verged on, if not crossed into, the offensive. It’s time to move on.
Closed Thread