Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #16
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I think the reason behind a premium e-reader is to attract the premium ebook customer: one who is happy to buy the top of the line ereader rather than the budget model or a general-use tablet might also be more likely to buy significantly more books than the average customer.

If Kobo is only breaking even on selling devices, and expects the profits to come from ebook sales, then increasing the spend per customer is probably quite important. I imagine one customer who spends $500 per year on ebooks is worth a lot more than 100 customers who spend $5 each.
Could backfire with a customer like me, I do buy some books, but with a reading habit of around 100 books a year, I use the library more often than not. Be too dead broke to buy a premium reader otherwise, LOL!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #17
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The Aura exists to give us false hopes of a better reader, to make us believe that this is the ultimate experience in reading. Then the software screws-up and we find ourselves right where we started, except with a few bucks less in our wallets.

Also it exists to bring in money for its maker.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #18
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Could backfire with a customer like me, I do buy some books, but with a reading habit of around 100 books a year, I use the library more often than not. Be too dead broke to buy a premium reader otherwise, LOL!
Same here. And when I do buy books it's from Sony store because of all those $25 certificates I got years ago at $15/each
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #19
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I don't see the size as anything special, I don't see that as a big factor in its marketability. Now its having the highest available eink screen resolution and an excellent frontlight, that is where the HD comes in and that may account for the demand.

As to tying their ereader customers to their book store, that seems to be a major driver for their firmware design and development. I bought exactly one ebook from Kobo prior to purchasing my two AuraHDs and none afterwards. I won't tie my ereaders or my ebooks to someone else's servers.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #20
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
The only thing Kobo does to tie you to their book store is to make it the most convenient option for buying books. By making the choice to use stock Adobe DRM, Kobo's opened their devices to the greatest range of e-book retailers possible. And sideloading, while not quite as convenient as buying from Kobo & downloading onto the reader is quite simple & straightforward, imho.

I think the Aura HD exists to differentiate Kobo from the competition. When the Glo was announced there was a lot of "well, it's just a Paperwhite without the Amazon advantage" stuff out there. The Aura is significantly different from any other mainstream e-ink reader and got Kobo a lot of attention.

Now if I can just somehow scare up $192 (taxes incl) to buy one... :-D
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Limited edition because they seem to have bought an existing batch of screens (as opposed to ordering screens for themselves) that the original orderer decided to not buy after all and built a rather shoddy e-reader around them (everything I've seen of the Aura makes it look like a rush job).
That rumour was denied both by Kobo and by eInk.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote