Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: If simple life extension technology were available, how long would you want to live?
Not for me. I prefer Nature's way. 9 29.03%
100 years 1 3.23%
150 years 2 6.45%
200 years 0 0%
Less than 500 yesrs 1 3.23%
As long as could get the technology to work! 18 58.06%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2021, 06:35 PM   #1
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
If simple life extension technology existed, how long would you want to live?

It 's poll time. Choose your selection.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:13 PM   #2
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
What sort of quality of life are we talking about for the unnaturally added years, at/near peak quality, or declining steadily until you're looking for the easiest way to put yourself out of your misery?
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2021, 07:31 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Given how fed up I am at being in lockdown for 3 months -- about a week

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:32 PM   #4
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
What sort of quality of life are we talking about for the unnaturally added years, at/near peak quality, or declining steadily until you're looking for the easiest way to put yourself out of your misery?
Say early middle age - Ca. 40 years old biologically.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:44 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
300-400. Because this is how long it would take me to read all the books in my ebook library.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2021, 08:50 PM   #6
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hmmm,

I would rather go to sleep for 200+ years then wake up to the "new world"
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:52 PM   #7
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
300-400. Because this is how long it would take me to read all the books in my ebook library.
But, they'll be writing still more books in that time. It's a trap!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:31 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
But, they'll be writing still more books in that time. It's a trap!
Yeah. I guess I should have chosen the last option...
Old 09-29-2021, 10:05 PM   #9
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
To take this seriously, if the technology was available, my current thinking would change in ways hard to predict.

But I still think it would be hard to impossible for me to put the rest of my family in a state of mourning. So -- no limit.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:23 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
To take this seriously, if the technology was available, my current thinking would change in ways hard to predict.
That's true. No one has any idea how a 500-year-old man/woman would think. Or even whether a human being would be emotionally capable of living so long. The spirit might give up long before the body.

Last edited by Sirtel; 09-29-2021 at 11:25 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:03 AM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
At one time, I read an article (might have been one of Analog's science fact articles) which tried to estimate the average age of death for an "immortal" human. They assumed the body would be maintained at about 35-40 years and that you could still be killed by accident, etc. The statistics they used came up with an average age at death of 400 years. I suspect that number would actually be higher given that increased concentration on safety is likely to be a result of knowing you could live longer. Something like Niven's Puppeteers.

Admittedly, I wondered then and still do as to whether a 400+ year old human would still think in ways even close to the average human today.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:11 AM   #12
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Would I have to keep working all those extra years?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 10:01 AM   #13
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Would I have to keep working all those extra years?
Most likely.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:04 AM   #14
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
If you'd asked me when I was 20, I might have picked one if the longer options. Honestly, now that I'm not so young anymore, I'm starting to feel like I've lived pretty long already. Based on my gene pool, I figure I've probably got another 30 years to go. That seems like plenty. I checked "nature's way".
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:06 PM   #15
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
If you'd asked me when I was 20, I might have picked one if the longer options. Honestly, now that I'm not so young anymore, I'm starting to feel like I've lived pretty long already. Based on my gene pool, I figure I've probably got another 30 years to go. That seems like plenty. I checked "nature's way".
That's weird. My sister tells the same thing. But I'll be 50 in January and if anything, I feel more and more that I have too little time left and it's not enough (no idea for what, though). And I too have probably 30 years left, at least.

I checked less than 500. I'm not sure I'd want to live for thousands of years. But 80-100 seems very little to me for some reason.