Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
My PRS-600, my constant companion

So, some of you may have followed, my exploration of several different readers (PRS-300, PB360, Astak Mentor). Surprisingly, even to myself, the PRS-600 has emerged as the best reader for me. The thing that allowed it to become my favorite was my asking, “Really, really, how good does the screen readability of my reader need to be?” As we all know, the 600 screen is not as clear or high-contrast as non-touch screens. I was constantly holding it up next to the 300 or my husband’s 505 (or the PB, or the Mentor, lol), and being disappointed. But then I started carrying it around with me, and using it daily, and realized that, you know what? Maybe it’s not as clear as other screens, but it’s perfectly readable in almost any situation in which I use it (true, sometimes I’m reading through a fuzzy relection of myself, or the light source behind me, but still, readable). And when it’s not all that readable, it’s in situations where I probably shouldn’t be reading anyway (low light, etc.)

The other thing that turned me into a PRS-600 user was the thought that I could use it not just for leisure reading, but for work. I’m currently in a job where I need to learn a ton, and fast. I do this mostly through reading through documents, FAQ’s, memos, etc. How cool is it that I can output these as pdf’s (I use pdf’s because there are graphs and charts on these docs), read them perfectly well in landscape on my reader, highlight and make notes, and then use my notes as ‘study guides’ to help me remember key points? Plus, I save all those trees by not printing out hard copies, and I have all this reference material, in searchable format, with me at all times, without having to carry the binder from hell. Awesome!

Some unexpected advantages:
  • my 600 can also be entertaining in the rare instances when I’m sick of reading. I can play Sudoku (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86393), or even a quick round of hangman with my kids
  • despite my conviction that I would never use the dictionary, I use the dictionary. I just learned what a “concertina” is this past week (kinda like an accordion, as far as I can tell)
  • I can use it as a productivity tool (see my tip here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=85010&page=3 (post #44) ). Also, I could potentially start using it for taking quick notes or making jotting down to-do lists, instead of using my usual 3x5 cards, but we’ll see about that
  • I actually prefer navigating through my book list without the interference of folders (like on the PB or Mentor). And I think tags are better than folders since a single book can have multiple tags

So yes, my 600 is with me all day. I wake up in the morning, take it from the nightstand, plug it in to my laptop downstairs to download the NYT. I read this over breakfast and on the bus on the way to work. I generally pack lunch and eat it outside, while reading whatever novel I’m into. As mentioned above, I use it during work to read reference documents. Then I read some more on the bus ride home. There usually follow several hours when I am unable to read since I’m actually interacting with my family and such But once the kids are in bed, I read some more, then bring the 600 up to bed so I can catch a few pages of Jeeves and Wooster stories before lights out.

If Sony announces an updated 600 with Pearl screen and (dare we hope) a non-reflective touchscreen, I am going to be *all* over it. In the meantime, I am a happy camper with my 600
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I really love the dictionary, too. I'm not a native english speaking person, so the dictionary comes in handy. I must admit that I never read a book in my own native language since I returned from the US, so I don't know if the German dictionary is as good as the AE one.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
I agree, the PRS-600 is great in many ways.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:23 AM   #4
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Maxbookworm I agree with you as well. My 600 is also my constant companion. I also use it to read novels for enjoyment, catching up on the daily news, and for extened research on my book as well the short stories and poetry I write. I jnst wish I had it when I was an undergrad years ago.

I also agree that the touchscreen and dictionary or invaluable as well. I just wish I could find ones for latin and ancient greek that I could integrate into the reader's software.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
Georgiegirl2012
Connoisseur
Georgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony touch prs600
My first post, so be gentle - I've been doing some research and after a couple of days decided on the Sony PRS 600 - it should be with me by the end of the week. You say you download the NYT - I thought one of the advantages of some of the other readers over the Sony was that Sony didn't do newspapers - is it an american thing (I'm in the UK) or am I mistaken? Or indeed is it some "workaround" you've discovered?
Georgiegirl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 03:14 PM   #6
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
I use calibre (see calibre forum) in conjunction with my e-subscription to the NYT to download each day's issue as an epub file to my PC and then load it on to my reader. It's not as hands off as Kindle's NYT subscription service (delivered over 3G), but it works great
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote