Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-03-2017, 11:22 AM   #1
bonacker
Connoisseur
bonacker began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD 10, 11th Gen.
Question about updating Silk Browser

I'd like to update the Silk browser on my Fire tablet, but I don't want to update the OS. I read somewhere that if you change the extension of a firmware update file from .bin to .zip, you can view a collection of apk files and maybe a silk.apk would be among the apks. Is there any truth to that?

Alternatively, is there a way to update just one of the Fire system apps like Silk individually from the settings/system updates? I have updates turned off, so I never see what others have written that they see: Pending component updates ready to install.
bonacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:13 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
As far as I know by going to Settings>Apps & Games >Manage all applications > All you can then scroll down to the Silk browser App and either:
1. Force Stop
2. Clear Data
3. Clear Cache
4. Clear Defaults
But you can't force an update. They just pop up when Amazon is ready with them. There is an option to Uninstall Updates that is greyed out when the browser is running. You can go to Settings then scroll down to Sync Device though which will let you know if something is ready for updating (or download any books you have ready for download that haven't as yet).
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert