Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-10-2017, 09:28 AM   #61
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Has Overdrive been removed from the new release for the Aura One?
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:34 AM   #62
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you have "attempt to support newer firmware" checked in the device configuration, your KA1 should be happy with the new firmware. The Aura H2O2 is a different issue since Calibre does not have it's USB ID to identify it.
I can't find device configuration - sorry but search function in Calibre doesn't seem to find it. Can you point me in the correct direction?
Advert
Old 05-10-2017, 09:34 AM   #63
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Has Overdrive been removed from the new release for the Aura One?
No, it's still in the firmware. Why?
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:35 AM   #64
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
I got impatient and decided to try and change my affiliate in order to get a newer firmware than 4.3.8945. I went to the folder named '.kobo' and opened the affiliate file in notepad. First I changed the 'affiliate=Kobo' to 'affiliate=Rakuten'.

When I ejected my reader and tried to sync, I got a "whoops, something went wrong".

So, I went back and changed the affiliate to 'WHSmith'.

When I ejected the reader and synced, it downloaded and updated the firmware - to version 4.3.8966!

Am I doing something wrong? I've never tried to change the affiliate before. The same thing happened with my Aura One and my Aura H2O (1st edition). Maybe it is to do with my geographic location (I am in the UK).

Edit: Okay, so I tried with "BestBuyCA" as my affiliate, and now I'm running the new firmware. Yay!

I like it a lot. The icons along the top are bigger and I think it makes sense to have them this way.
Currently Rakuten does not get the latest firmware.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:42 AM   #65
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Ended up doing a factory reset. It does see the card now (or seems to since it's processing content very slowly [over 4,000 books]).
Spoke too soon.

Did a factory reset which took be back to 4.3.8966, but when I changed affiliates (to bestbuyca) and sync'd to 4.4.9298 it again doesn't see that there is a memory card and so shows no books on the device. It appears to be the OS itself as the card shows with earlier firmware and also when the device is connected to a PC. Not sure if there is anything else I can try or if I'm just destined not to have this firmware on my device.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2017, 09:42 AM   #66
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Currently Rakuten does not get the latest firmware.
More than just not getting the latest firmware, my reader got an error message when attempting to sync with the Rakuten affiliate. Which was interesting.

Thanks for posting that list, in any case.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:43 AM   #67
residentour
residentour is no ebook tyro.residentour is no ebook tyro.residentour is no ebook tyro.residentour is no ebook tyro.residentour is no ebook tyro.residentour is no ebook tyro.residentour is no ebook tyro.residentour is no ebook tyro.residentour is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle 3
This version cannot see my microSDcard. Already tried factory reset and reinstall but only this version has problem with sdcards.
residentour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:03 AM   #68
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
No, it's still in the firmware. Why?
I just got a new Aura One and have been reading all these threads, thought I remembered someone saying it had been removed. Just checking - thanks.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #69
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by residentour View Post
This version cannot see my microSDcard. Already tried factory reset and reinstall but only this version has problem with sdcards.
Which device? I've just update my Glo and it is able to see the external card properly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #70
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
I have sideloaded this firmware on my H2O and Glo. Everything seems to be working fine.
I like the new Homescreen and the authors view.
The first thing I did after the installation was to enable the PIN lock.
I am very happy that the curly braces have been taken back into the keyboard layout. A long tap on one of the round or square brackets calls the corresponding context menu. Except me probably even more users had the missing Kobo complained.
Martina Schein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:21 AM   #71
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
More than just not getting the latest firmware, my reader got an error message when attempting to sync with the Rakuten affiliate. Which was interesting.

Thanks for posting that list, in any case.
The rakuten affiliate is a bit weird. It needs to be rakutenbooks to sync properly.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:27 AM   #72
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
My H2O doesn't see the external card on this firmware. Worked fine before.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:50 AM   #73
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
My H2O doesn't see the external card on this firmware. Worked fine before.
Maybe all of you who have a card that doesn't get recognized should list their brand/type/size... we might recognize a pattern. (or others with the same brand/type/size might see that theirs works fine???)
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #74
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Not a bad idea.

On my Aura HD I have a SanDisk 8GB class 4 card.

All books are kePub, loaded via Calibre. The PC and Calibre see the card and interact with it fine as do earlier versions of Kobo's firmware.

EDIT: Also tried an old 2GB SanDisk card I have lying around and it isn't seen either.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 05-10-2017 at 11:40 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #75
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
My H20 also cannot see the external SD card with firmware 4.4.9298. SanDisk class 10 32gb. I load my books into a subdirectory named "Books" if that makes any difference. Will try loading them into the root directory of the card to see if that matters.

UPDATE: Nope, doesn't seem to make any difference. Books show up in Calibre as "on device" and I can see them when the H20 is connected to the computer, but the device itself does not see any books on the SD card. Whether the book is in the root directory of the card or in a subdirectory doesn't matter.

ANOTHER UPDATE: Hmmm...after reloading the ebook, disconnecting the reader, and then reconnecting, now Calibre does not see the book I uploaded to the SD card either, although I can see the book is there if I look at the file system of the SD card. If I upload the book to Main Memory instead of the SD card, all is fine.

Last edited by icallaci; 05-10-2017 at 11:24 AM.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote