Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-27-2016, 01:36 PM   #1
pluma
Enthusiast
pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Strategy to create faux tabbed ebook?

Hello,

I've noticed that index navigation is awfully slow and cumbersome. So a possible solution that I thought is to create some sort of inlined tabs that are clickable to make quick navigation between a few pages.

My idea is something like to common webpages menu links.

Is this a good idea in an epub? I noticed that footnotes is a huugee list at the end of the epubs.

This is a small example.

page 1
page 2
page 3
page 4 index to 5 and 6
page 5 index to 4 and 6
page 6 index to 6 and 4
page 7
page 8

I don't know how to solve this. Or have a special title that makes a popup menu with the navigation index.

Devices's navigation takes endless steps to travel around the doc.

The first problem I am seeing is to work around the touch areas of devices. Or perhaps it's possible to tell the device to clear those screen areas from devices touch buttons.

thanks.
pluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:52 PM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluma View Post
Hello,

I've noticed that index navigation is awfully slow and cumbersome. So a possible solution that I thought is to create some sort of inlined tabs that are clickable to make quick navigation between a few pages.

My idea is something like to common webpages menu links.

Is this a good idea in an epub? I noticed that footnotes is a huugee list at the end of the epubs.

This is a small example.

page 1
page 2
page 3
page 4 index to 5 and 6
page 5 index to 4 and 6
page 6 index to 6 and 4
page 7
page 8

I don't know how to solve this. Or have a special title that makes a popup menu with the navigation index.

Devices's navigation takes endless steps to travel around the doc.

The first problem I am seeing is to work around the touch areas of devices. Or perhaps it's possible to tell the device to clear those screen areas from devices touch buttons.

thanks.
I don't understand what you mean. Can you give a better example of what you're thinking? What I see seems to indicate that, what, you're planning to put links, to other pages...I don't understand what you're proposing.

Hithc
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2016, 03:31 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluma View Post
If you use the proper footnote attributes in epub3 books many, though not all, epub3 apps will display them as popup footnotes.
For example, if you target iPads this is more or less a non-issue.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:00 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Doits?

You think s/he is discussing footnotes? Crap, I didn't get that impression at all. I thought he was talking abotu essentially NOT having to click "go to" or "toc," to then browse to {whatever is desired}. I don't know that I understand the cumbersome issue, but..

Alrighty. I'll shaddup now.

Hitch
Old 11-29-2016, 02:11 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I get what's being asked. Some websites have a menu on the left side of the screen to allow quick navigation. The OP wants to have a menu on the left side of the screen for quick navigation in an ePub eBook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2016, 02:33 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I get what's being asked. Some websites have a menu on the left side of the screen to allow quick navigation. The OP wants to have a menu on the left side of the screen for quick navigation in an ePub eBook.
That's what I thought. Ok, so this one is easy.

No.

Hitch