Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Farewell, iLiad, come back soon!

In the last week, my iLiad has switched itself off three times for no readily apparent reason, while the battery was pretty much fully charged. I got the closing down screen, then a blank screen, but the green light remained on. The on/off switch didn't work, and pressing the reset button started it rebooting.

I sent in a support ticket to iRex this morning, and I've just had a reply that they want me to send it back, and they're sending me a box to put it in.

Luckily, I've only had it since February, so it shouldn't cost my anything.

I suppose at least I'll get round to reading all those dead-tree books on my readpile that I've been neglecting...
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
Crisby
Fanatic
Crisby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Crisby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Crisby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Crisby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
I hope your iLiad makes a speedy recovery!

I couldn't imagine being without mine - which I've also had since February.
Crisby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2008, 09:29 PM   #3
majaka
majaka began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
It's a similar case for me.
I've had my iLiad since February as well, and I use it constantly (as a matter of fact, I run the batteries down typically every day, although I dun think that that is necessarily a good thing!)

But a few weeks ago it developed a small white "patch" in the top-right corner, kind of similar to how an LCD screen looks when you push on it with your finger, except that it isn't visible except when the device is turned off.

I opened a ticket with iRex and sent them a couple of photos, and they said that they will replace it. The box got here in 2 days (I'm in Australia) which is great, 'coz it shipped with my dad's iLiad (since he grew tired of seeing how much I loved mine and wanted his own) and I have since then shipped it back. By using the tracking code it seems like it also only took 2 days on the return journey, but by crikey they have a lot of checks!!

Anyway, I'm sure that your iLiad will be safely back in your hands, as iRex are a great company. (My dad initially hated them since he paid on credit card and they had to verify it because he's international and thus it took 2 weeks to ship, but that's HIS fault, isn't it?!)

We should make T-shirts. "iLiadless, need a hug"
majaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:33 AM   #4
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My iLiad was picked up yesterday afternoon by UPS (none of this old fashioned "going to the post office" business) and is currently in a plane on its way to Germany. The t-shirt sounds like a good idea! :-) I actually found myself in a bookshop yesterday, first time in ages!
Old 08-06-2008, 06:40 AM   #5
carandol
Evangelist

Well, that's annoying. iRex's famous customer service strikes again. My iLiad was delivered to iRex last Friday. Nothing appeared in the info on my open ticket page on the iRex site. I asked them there when I could expect it back. No reply.

This morning, it appears my iLiad was delivered while I was out. No warning that it was on its way, or I could have made sure there was someone in. Nice that it's back so quick, but I'm going away tomorrow, so I'm going to have to make alternative delivery arrangements with UPS and persuade a friend to stay in all day so it can be delivered to them instead.

Really, it wouldn't have taken a minute to let me know it was on its way and I'd have been here to pick it up.
Advert
Old 08-06-2008, 08:01 AM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
Really, it wouldn't have taken a minute to let me know it was on its way and I'd have been here to pick it up.
I agree, there should be updates on every step of the way. Especially a notification with a UPS tracking number, when the package is on its way back.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:38 AM   #7
carandol
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
I agree, there should be updates on every step of the way. Especially a notification with a UPS tracking number, when the package is on its way back.
I've just this minute been told by iRex that it should arrive today or tomorrow. Gee, thanks guys!
Old 08-07-2008, 08:45 AM   #8
carandol
Evangelist

This is turning into a saga! Got my iLiad back today (delivered to relatives because I'm out all day). Don't know if the original problem's fixed, but it now has a new problem that it didn't have before -- there's something deep down in the SD card slot, blocking it and preventing me getting a memory card into it. Looks like it's going for another little trip to Germany. It's had more holidays than me this year!
Old 08-07-2008, 09:10 AM   #9
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
let me guess, it's the plastic dummy MMC card?
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #10
carandol
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli View Post
let me guess, it's the plastic dummy MMC card?
It's hard to be sure, because it's too far inside to see properly, but I'd guess so. It's not mine though, because I sent back it without that bit.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:14 PM   #11
carandol
Evangelist

For anyone interested in the grand finale of this little drama...

After having been away from home for a while, and thus unable to get my iLiad picked up for return, I decided to have a go at fixing the problem myself, and managed to get the offending blockage out of the MMC card slot using a pair of fine tweezers. It wasn't a plastic dummy MMC card after all, but a little plastic thing which (iLiad informed me, after asking me to describe it to them) the manufacturers put in the card slot to make it easier to solder the card slot to the main board, and which is supposed to be removed as part of the manufacturing process.

Seems I've had an entire new main board put in my iLiad, which also explains why my PID had changed, and I had to re-download all my Mobipocket books. iRex did apologise for not having mentioned this.

So, I have a new main board, a new PID, the unexpected switch-off problem has gone, and my MMC card slot is unblocked and working fine. I did have a brief problem with BooksOnBoard's store not showing some of the books I'd bought from them which I needed to re-download, but they fixed that within an hour when I complained, so that ended well.

Hopefully that's the end of that saga, and I can go back to reading ebooks with no further trouble. I would say I don't have so many problems with paper books, but since the pages are falling out of several role-playing game books I'm using at the moment, this wouldn't be quite true. Hey ho!
Old 09-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #12
watcha
Not so junior!
watcha began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad
You're lucky to get it back at all. Seven weeks ago mine was sent back for screen replacement. Still no sign of getting it back. Repair centre has been moved from Germany to Holland, was the explanation ten days ago for the delay. Also problem finding spare parts.
I ask you!!
watcha is offline   Reply With Quote