Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
ralphfawnlette
ralphfawnlette began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7"
Need help deciding

i have been looking for so long, i am so frustrated i might scream or cry at the difficulty in finding information about these things. Hopefully someone here can help.

Situation 1 - i want an ereader/tablet that supports me putting my own pdfs onto it with either a cord or an sd card. i would like for it to have wifi support for actual internet, not just looking at a store. i would prefer not to have to jailbreak it. it needs to be around 150$ If i have to jailbreak it, that's okay but i would like some reassurance i am not going to destroy it and then have no support.

Situation 2 - i want an ereader that i can put my own pdfs on with a cord or sd card. it doesn't need wifi, but if this is the case i would like to pay considerably less for it. e ink sounds cool, my eyes hurt when reading from a laptop that is why i want one of these things. But i don't think i could force myself to pay even 100$ for something that doesn't even support internet.

In both cases, i don't want to buy some horrible knockoff from a chinese website i can't find reviews for. i don't have the luxury of "oh just pay a little more". My price range is what i have to work with. The lower the better :/

Also, i hear a lot about some of these things not working very well for pdfs. Having to scroll around is a lot more tolerable if it at least has a touchscreen but i would rather not have a teeny 6" screen. My vision is bad so that is something to consider.

Thanks in advance, i hope you all can help me. If this doesn't work out i give up searching for one of these things
ralphfawnlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
A 6" inch screen e-ink ereader will not work well for most PDF files. The screen is simply too small. A 10-inch tablet is best, like the iPad, but that is not within your budget. I don't know about other 10-inch tablets, because I already have an iPad.

Most ereaders have at least wi-fi available. A few have an sd card, but all support side-loading via USB, as far as I know.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Buy a 2nd-hand 1st-generation iPad. You'll easily get one for $150, and it's a superb PDF reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Buy a 2nd-hand 1st-generation iPad. You'll easily get one for $150, and it's a superb PDF reader.
That's probably the best suggestion. If you can find one that cheap, I've never seen them that low, add an app like Goodreader and you'd be all set for a great PDF experience. What I have seen in the $150 range are refurbs of the name brand 10" Android tablets from earlier generations such as the original Asus Transformer (TF101) and Acer Iconia. One of those would be a good PDF reader as well.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've just had a quick look on eBay UK and the going rate seems to be about $200 for a 32GB model, so that's not too far outside the OP's budget, if he can stretch it a little. And it really is by far the best tool for the job, IMHO.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert