Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-02-2011, 04:38 AM   #10696
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next: Saltation by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller
And excellent follow-up, bring's Theo's story right up to the point reached in the other thread of the story that's told in "I Dare".

I shall enjoy getting to the others in the series when my TBR list is a little shorter.

Next up: View from the Imperium by Jody Lynn Nye
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:57 AM   #10697
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Just finished the YA-fantasy Graceling an ok read but I didn't think the language construct made the story flow very well. Don't know what I will be reading next.

Last edited by thinkpad; 09-02-2011 at 05:07 AM.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #10698
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Finished the second in the Alpha and Omega series by Patricia Briggs (Hunting Ground). AWESOME. Simply AWESOME.

I also finished the second in The Edge series by Ilona Andrews...did I post about that already? I think I did. Never mind.

Weirdly I thought it would be Bayou Moon by Andrews that was the better of the books (both are the second book in their respective series) but I enjoyed the Briggs one far more. Just hit all the right notes, was more original and the characters were made of awesome!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #10699
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Finished Fellowship of Fear by Aaron Elkins, 1st in his Gideon Oliver, Intrepid Globe-Trotting Forensic Anthropologist series. I got this from Fictionwise for the low, low price of $1.60 during one of their previous 60% off coupon weekends and went back and bought the rest during their most recent one after having read the first half of this.

It's an older amateur sleuth series (the main plot involves said sleuth getting caught up into a suspected spy investigation) and kind of dated in parts beyond the Cold War aspects of the background. But still quite readable and fun in other parts, and some moderately clever misdirection as to to who were the actual guilty culprits.

I especially liked the little mini-lectures on philology and cranial shape as related to identifying the people who were attacking him. But then, I've always liked it when fictional academics bring their fictional academic credentials to bear on practically irrelevant aspects of "all we really need to know is these people are trying to kill you and how can we prevent them from doing so".

Medium recommend. A promising start for the first novel of what seems to have been a moderately popular series (10 books thus far republished as e-books) which hopefully gets more polished as it goes along.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #10700
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Finished Fellowship of Fear by Aaron Elkins, 1st in his Gideon Oliver, Intrepid Globe-Trotting Forensic Anthropologist series. I got this from Fictionwise for the low, low price of $1.60 during one of their previous 60% off coupon weekends and went back and bought the rest during their most recent one after having read the first half of this.

It's an older amateur sleuth series (the main plot involves said sleuth getting caught up into a suspected spy investigation) and kind of dated in parts beyond the Cold War aspects of the background. But still quite readable and fun in other parts, and some moderately clever misdirection as to to who were the actual guilty culprits.

I especially liked the little mini-lectures on philology and cranial shape as related to identifying the people who were attacking him. But then, I've always liked it when fictional academics bring their fictional academic credentials to bear on practically irrelevant aspects of "all we really need to know is these people are trying to kill you and how can we prevent them from doing so".

Medium recommend. A promising start for the first novel of what seems to have been a moderately popular series (10 books thus far republished as e-books) which hopefully gets more polished as it goes along.
I tried one of his books, but I don't think it was a series. Opened with someone getting shot by a poisoned dart (more complex than that statement, but yanno). I don't know why, but it didn't grab me. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for the jungle setting or poisoned darts? Dunno.
Advert
Old 09-02-2011, 10:06 PM   #10701
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I tried one of his books, but I don't think it was a series. Opened with someone getting shot by a poisoned dart (more complex than that statement, but yanno). I don't know why, but it didn't grab me. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for the jungle setting or poisoned darts?
Could be. I'd previously started the 1st in another one of Elkins' series, the Chris Norgren, Intrepid Globe-Trotting Medieval Art Curator amateur sleuth books, and it was kind of slow-going and not particularly compelling. I expect I'll eventually get back to it later, because I paid a good $1.60 for that, too and might as well get my money's worth.

Even though he's supposed to be an award-winner, I can see how his writing style might have that hit-or-miss quality depending on the reader. I stuck with Fellowship of Fear despite a not-particularly-grabby first few chapters because I like forensic anthropologist stuff and I'd heard that the series became quite good in later books and it paid off for me.

But if the particular elements I liked were different ones that didn't hit my appeal-marks, then I'm guessing that instead of being fun, they would have just seemed annoyingly pedantic and socially maladjusted.

And some of Oliver's personality quirks and the setting did grate on me. Ah, messed-up 80s retro sexual and political and racial dynamics… I'm so glad I never had to live through you.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #10702
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
I just finished The Magician King

This second volume in Lev Grossman’s celebrated series picks up just after the events of its 2009 prequel The Magicians. Quentin, Eliot, Janet, and Julia are now the High Kings and Queens of Fillory, a fantastic realm not unlike Narnia, and they pass their days “deliquescing atom by atom amid a riot of luxury.” To ease his royal boredom, Quentin embarks on a quest with Julia. Despite his romantic visions of heroic feats and easy accolades, the quest goes horribly awry, and they find themselves back in the depressingly real world of Chesterton, Massachusetts. With the help of seedy underground magicians, a dragon, and a young boy named Thomas, they undertake a desperate journey back to Fillory. Grossman’s writing here is sharp and self-aware, and the characters feel like people you actually know, but cooler: they are delightfully profane and dripping with irony, they are arrogant and shallow, they are finding their way in a magically perfect world that somehow still lets them down, and they are learning to fight for the things they love. The Magician King is a triumph of (and an homage to) modern fantasy writing, and a must-read for grown-up fans of Narnia and Harry Potter. --Juliet Disparte

I thought it was really good, I liked it better then the first one and I enjoyed the first one...
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:24 AM   #10703
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Could be. I'd previously started the 1st in another one of Elkins' series, the Chris Norgren, Intrepid Globe-Trotting Medieval Art Curator amateur sleuth books, and it was kind of slow-going and not particularly compelling. I expect I'll eventually get back to it later, because I paid a good $1.60 for that, too and might as well get my money's worth.

Even though he's supposed to be an award-winner, I can see how his writing style might have that hit-or-miss quality depending on the reader. I stuck with Fellowship of Fear despite a not-particularly-grabby first few chapters because I like forensic anthropologist stuff and I'd heard that the series became quite good in later books and it paid off for me.

But if the particular elements I liked were different ones that didn't hit my appeal-marks, then I'm guessing that instead of being fun, they would have just seemed annoyingly pedantic and socially maladjusted.

And some of Oliver's personality quirks and the setting did grate on me. Ah, messed-up 80s retro sexual and political and racial dynamics… I'm so glad I never had to live through you.

That sounds about right. It wasn't the pacing, I don't think, but I had no time to be involved with the characters. I'm a pretty character-driven reader and these particular characters seemed rather rabid over getting a treasure or something from the jungle and ignored those fine warning signs...I don't remember if I read enough to get my monies worth because I can't remember what I paid!
Old 09-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #10704
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I finished up Carol Birch's Jamrach's Menagerie. A tale of the sea—friendship, adventure, hardship, grief, and redemption. Just beautiful. I loved it. I think I may be snagging something else from the 2011 Man Booker Prize long-list to read. More than likely Patrick deWitt's The Sisters Brothers.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #10705
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I finished _All Mortal Flesh_ and Rev Furgesson and Russ Van Alstyne mystery. I'm not sure why but I really like these stories. The are cozy mysteries and move really quickly. There is a small amount of action/adventure to them as well. When I read about all the settings in upstate new york with all the cold and snow I am happy about my decision to relocate to Florida from New England those many years ago.

I have started on the next book in the series _All Mortal Flesh_.

If you like cozy's I think you should give the first in the series a try. I recommend them. If you like Christies stuff I think you will like this too. Although, I seem to like most mysteries I read... so take it with a grain of salt.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #10706
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
I've finished Mark Lawrence's Prince of Thorns (read my review here) and loved it. It's not your average fantasy and is very dark. The protagonist is so ruthless and seemingly evil that you love him for it. I also enjoyed all the plot twists and the way the nature of the world was hinted at, before it's revealed.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #10707
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I finished up Carol Birch's Jamrach's Menagerie. A tale of the sea—friendship, adventure, hardship, grief, and redemption. Just beautiful. I loved it. I think I may be snagging something else from the 2011 Man Booker Prize long-list to read. More than likely Patrick deWitt's The Sisters Brothers.
I too found Jamrach's Menagerie a magical read! Beautifully written - with many echoes of past writers.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #10708
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
currently reading The Kinshield Legacy by KC May. i friggin love this book, the characters are fantastic and Gavin is one of the most loveable heroes i've ever come across in a fantasy novel. he's like han solo but with a tad more charm.

i just have the ebook edition but i'll be sticking hardcopies of this series on my christmas list because i'm enjoying it so much.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:41 AM   #10709
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Currently reading this months club book the The Chinese Maze Murders. I'm enjoying it more than I though I would, it is rather amusing and moves along fast.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:30 AM   #10710
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Yesterday I finished Layton Green's The Summoner. Although it was very well written, had an interesting setting (Zimbabwe) and and interesting topic (Juju) I wasn't wild about it. It's a good read but for me the basic storyline, without the Juju and the setting, wasn't that special.

Now I'm back to reading Caleb Carr's The Alienist.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote