Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-18-2018, 06:10 AM   #26806
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm half done with Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House by Michael Wolff.
I'm reading this too. I am at the 32% point.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:49 AM   #26807
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished Chanur's Homecoming by C. J. Cherryh. Almost done with Ringworld (audio) by Larry Niven. Next I am reading Vagina: Revised and Updated by Naomi Wolf. Not sure what I will listen to on the commute yet.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2018, 11:52 AM   #26808
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Finished Chanur's Homecoming by C. J. Cherryh.
Just finished Cyteen. Precious book.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:55 PM   #26809
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcn363 View Post
Just finished Cyteen. Precious book.
Just found my copies, I may find time to read them again soon.

Meanwhile, I have begun listening to Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides. Great writing style, though his subject matter is not to everyone's taste.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:59 AM   #26810
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
...I have begun listening to Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides. Great writing style, though his subject matter is not to everyone's taste.
I enjoyed it a lot.

Good luck.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2018, 02:00 PM   #26811
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Next up was the February selection for the New Leaf Book Club, Passing, by Nella Larson. I listened to this as an Audible book, narrated by Robin Miles. Not the world's best narrator, but better for this than she was for Hidden Figures. Finished, and we'll be discussing this starting February 15th here. Come join us -- the book is short (226 pages), inexpensive ($0.99) and quite interesting.

Next for an audio book, I'm listening to the David Case narration of Galsworth's The Man of Property. Wonderful, simply wonderful. I tried to read this as an eBook and it wasn't working for me, but with David Case narrating, it's really enjoyable. The perfect book for a long trip!
Wonderful. David Case brings this classic alive. Highly recommended.
Quote:
Meanwhile, for an eBook, I'm reading a barely interesting Fantasy from Jack Campbell. Nothing exciting, I'm not really sure why I'm reading it, actually.
Quote:
Finished. Three stars, mostly because I'm feeling generous. Next up, something better, I hope -- The Price of Salt, by Patricia Highsmith. This was nominated for the New Leaf Book Club February Rainbow theme, but even though it didn't get selected, it sounded interesting enough that I decided to go ahead and read it.
Finished. An excellent nomination from astrangerhere, and I kind of wish we'd chosen it for New Leaf Book Club. This is a book about love, first and foremost, but also about just how difficult it was for a lesbian in the early 50's, especially if children were at issue (as they so often were.) If you'd asked me, I'd have said I understood. I now know I really don't, though I think I am closer to understanding. A really important book for its time, and one that is well worth reading now! Karma to astrangerhere, and highly recommended.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:03 AM   #26812
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:

Finished. An excellent nomination from astrangerhere, and I kind of wish we'd chosen it for New Leaf Book Club. This is a book about love, first and foremost, but also about just how difficult it was for a lesbian in the early 50's, especially if children were at issue (as they so often were.) If you'd asked me, I'd have said I understood. I now know I really don't, though I think I am closer to understanding. A really important book for its time, and one that is well worth reading now! Karma to astrangerhere, and highly recommended.
It was made into a movie called Carol a couple of years ago with Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara. It earned several Oscar nominations.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:30 AM   #26813
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
It was made into a movie called Carol a couple of years ago with Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara. It earned several Oscar nominations.
Yes. I never saw the movie, but I might be more interested now.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:26 AM   #26814
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Started reading a Fantasy called The Demon King. Sort of LotR-ish but keeping my attention so far.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:16 AM   #26815
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Great! Let me know what you think.
I enjoyed The Wanted, though I'm not sure quite as much as some of the other's in the series. I thought Joe Pike felt like a bit of a cypher - if this had been the first time we had met the character, there would have been little to engage with. Only knowing his backstory saved it for me. Still, I gave it 4 stars as any book by Robert Crais is still above average for the genre.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:31 AM   #26816
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I enjoyed The Wanted, though I'm not sure quite as much as some of the other's in the series. I thought Joe Pike felt like a bit of a cypher - if this had been the first time we had met the character, there would have been little to engage with. Only knowing his backstory saved it for me. Still, I gave it 4 stars as any book by Robert Crais is still above average for the genre.
Glad you liked it. And I agree with the four stars
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:00 AM   #26817
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
I am glad you liked it! The book is not the best prose or even the best plot in LGBT fiction, but it is one of the most impactful. I am not sure how that translates to a straight audience, but a copy will always be on my shelf.

As to the film, there were some unnecessary and unusual changes made by the screenwriter (who was friends with Highsmith), but it was still a great work on its own.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #26818
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I am not sure how that translates to a straight audience, but a copy will always be on my shelf.
Well, it translated well to me, and I'm as depressingly straight as can be. And now a copy is on my eBook shelf. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2018, 12:00 AM   #26819
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
If you're still in an LGBT mood, I would recommend the fantasy novella Passing Strange by Ellen Klages. It takes place in 1940 San Francisco during the World's Fair. The main character is an artist based on Margaret Brundage who created many of the lurid covers for Weird Tales magazine. For me the historical fiction and the magic didn't mesh seamlessly but I liked it a lot anyway.
It also had one of my favorite covers from last year.

http://locusmag.com/2017/01/gary-k-w...-ellen-klages/
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:41 AM   #26820
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Actually, I just started the 2nd Dave Brandstetter mystery from Joseph Hansen. I was quite pleasantly surprised to find that the first one had held up well.