Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #15511
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Finished reading Cryptonomicon and enjoyed it although the story felt a bit weak. Loved the characters and writing style. Not quite sure what to tackle next.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:41 AM   #15512
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
On now to "Dead Water", the 23rd book in Ngaio Marsh's "Inspector Alleyn" series.
Originally published in 1963. Alleyn investigates the death of a woman on a small island at a spring with reputed healing powers. Very enjoyable - the best in the series for quite a few books, to my mind. As with all of Ngaio Marsh's books, it's the characters rather than the crime which make the book worth reading. Recommended.

On now to "How Firm a Foundation", the 5th book in David Weber's "Safehold" series.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2013, 06:28 AM   #15513
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Straight onto Asimov's SF, March 2013 by Dell Magazines
A little bit better than February's issue, but again, nothing outstanding.

Now onto a collection of short stories, Limits by Larry Niven, which was the November 2012 freebie at http://www.phoenixpick.com/

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-02-2013 at 06:38 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #15514
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I finished Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, which I wasn't that into, and I'm going to move onto Third Shift. Yay for another Silo book!
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #15515
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
I finished Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, which I wasn't that into, and I'm going to move onto Third Shift. Yay for another Silo book!
Still waiting for Third Shift to be released as a standalone here in the UK .

Just finishing Suspect by Robert Crais, and about to move on to A Town Like Alice.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #15516
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Kim Harrison, Carolyn Keene (Mildred A Wirt) & Hugh Howey

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Leviathan Wakes proved to be a really good read! I became really invested in the characters and the ending was a real surprise and not at all what I expected. I'm gonna' invest in the sequel, Caliban's War. Oh, and I loved the ship the protagonists flew.
Also I read a Nancy Drew mystery, The Bungalow Mystery, between chapters (revisiting my youth) and will probably continue doing that with another one while I'm reading Kim Harrisons new release, Ever After, the 11th in The Hollows series.

I finished Ever After yesterday and am now in the middle of The Secret of the Old Clock, the first of the Nancy Drew books by Carolyn Keene. I'll start on Third Shift - Pact by Hugh Howey when I finish and then on to another Nancy Drew mystery (revisiting your youth is fun).

Last edited by alansplace; 02-06-2013 at 04:06 PM. Reason: add info
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #15517
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Currently reading Cannery Row by John Steinbeck. So far it's wonderful. A reminder that the English language can be beautifully written.
What a treat that was! Beautifully brilliant. Many of his passages were especially moving. Steinbeck can say so much in few words. There were moments of sadness, drama, humor and mystery. However, I enjoyed Of Mice and Men better but I'd still rate rate Cannery Row an A [5 stars].

Unsure of my next read but will probably be a sci-fi from the library.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #15518
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
What a treat that was! Beautifully brilliant. Many of his passages were especially moving. Steinbeck can say so much in few words. There were moments of sadness, drama, humor and mystery. However, I enjoyed Of Mice and Men better but I'd still rate rate Cannery Row an A [5 stars].

Thanks for that!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:38 AM   #15519
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:

I just took in a bag of paperbacks to the used book store and planned to pick up pback copies of Cannery Row and Tortilla Flat, plus Tyrannosaur Canyon by Douglas Preston. The only one they had was the Preston book.

Of Mice and Men and The Red Pony are among my favorites by Steinbeck.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #15520
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Waiting anxiously to receive "Sutton" by J.R.Moehringer in the mail. This time not an ebook but a signed-by-author hardcover. There are some books you just want to have, to keep, to look at it and to touch!
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:38 AM   #15521
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I've been powering through the Mack Bolan, Deathlands and Rogue Angel books that have been piling up on my shelf.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:38 AM   #15522
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
Waiting anxiously to receive "Sutton" by J.R.Moehringer in the mail. This time not an ebook but a signed-by-author hardcover. There are some books you just want to have, to keep, to look at it and to touch!
I got my dad that for Christmas, I haven't heard back from him what he thought yet (he may not have even started it yet). Please report back on what you thought!
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #15523
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
The Robot Rocket by Carey Rockwell {pseud} published in 1956 was the last of the Tom Corbett Space Cadet stories. The first seven are all available in a Megapack volume and these are well-formatted and enjoyably nostalgic to read.

The final volume is still under copyright restrictions but is easily available as a cheap paperback. So if you are a completest it is worth getting.

As to the quality of the story telling, it is really just average. Much of the brio and excitement of the earlier books is less apparent. The team is broken up as Roger is sent off to Mars. His replacement, "Thistle", is really very little different from Roger, so the change seems pointless. A fourth new member is added to create some bonding issues but little else. Ideas in the earlier books are rehashed and one gets the feeling that the series is just running out of steam. I got the book because I am a completest and it is satisfying to have the entire set, but otherwise one could do without it.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #15524
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Carey Rockwell - Also try our Library for some free titles in this series.

Here's the one from Amazon with the most reviews, the one I also own:

http://www.amazon.com/Corbett-Space-...tt+space+cadet

There are many to choose from, however.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-03-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #15525
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I loved Tom Corbet space cadet when I was a kid!

I'd be kind of afraid of re-reading them for fear of destroying the memory...

and....just saw this, in looking at that:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Tom-Swift-...d_sim_kstore_2

Last edited by kennyc; 02-03-2013 at 08:19 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote