Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
scotsman
Enthusiast
scotsman doesn't litterscotsman doesn't litter

Device: irex DR1000S
A way to execute files without shell access?!?

I am in the puzzling situation that I do not know whether I actually got the shell access downloaded:
1. After registering with MAC, cf-contents in "attachment" section etc., no download when synchronizing.
2. No way to click on .sh files in my documents: shown with a "?" in the icon.
3. BUT: I can run scripts when I put an appropriate .desktop file in /System/Desktop/ on the CF-card, e.g.

[Desktop Entry]

Name=Xournal

Type=Application

Exec=/usr/local/bin/xournal

Name[en_US]=Xournal

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=runscript
Type=Application
Exec=/media/mmcblk0p1/Programs/scripts/script.sh

So either I have shell access, but it only works this way, or I have not got it, and then this is a way of running scripts without requesting shell access.

It works for all proper shell scripts and for some exectuables in the root file system, but not for all (e.g. not for xshell, mrxvt, abiword), sadly. Via the shell scripts and redirected output thereof I can basically do whatever I want on the machine, and have full access to all folders starting from "/".

Any ideas? Maybe someone who has a device definitely without shell access can try running scripts this way.

Thanks!
scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I think the main thing that the developers package does with regards to enabling scripts is to put an entry in the "registry" so that .sh file extensions are "clickable" from the Content Lister. It's not really a security thing that is supposed to prevent you from running scripts via a .desktop file, although that was pretty clever.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
BTW, I assume you're talking about an iLiad even though this is posted in the Digital Reader section?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Not sure what is going on but seems that you did not copy everything to your SD-card.

Did you copy both the Programs and System directory from the zip file of UtterInanityto your SD card (maually)?
Was the '_install'-directory from the Programs directory also copied?
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
BTW, I assume you're talking about an iLiad even though this is posted in the Digital Reader section?
OK, then ignore my answer ...
Old 03-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
scotsman, I think you are mixing up a few things. The developer/shell access and cf-content applies only to the iLiad platform.

The DR1000 is based on the iOn -platform. The approach you describe by starting scripts from desktop shortcuts is the normal way to install applications on DR1000. You don't need to sign up for that, anyone can do that.
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
scotsman
Enthusiast
scotsman doesn't litterscotsman doesn't litter

Device: irex DR1000S
Thanks for the quick and helpful replies.
1. I am indeed talking about the Digital Reader, not the Iliad.
2. So is the option to request the developer package on the website then just by mistake enabled for a MAC address of a Digital Reader?
3. Given the differences between the DR and iliad, is there any comprehensive guide to 3rd party applications and reflashing/resetting specifically for the DR? What I found so far is rather little.
scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:18 AM   #8
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
1. That's cleared up then.
2. Probably, yes.
3. Third party applications are typically installed on the SD card and don't go on the flash of the DR1000. When you replace or install stuff to the internal flash, you can easily restore the original software by installing a firmware update. You can do this by copying the update to an SD-card and pressing the reset button. That should always work. It replaces everything on the internal flash. As a result you may need to re-install 3rd party applications afterwards.

As for documentation, iOn provides this guide for development purposes:
http://developer.irexnet.com/pub/iOn...nvironment.pdf
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:35 AM   #9
Mackx
Guru

The disadvantage of installing on SD is that you have to do it on every SD card that you use. The advantage is that you can remove the program easily.

Check create_device_install.sh in the hello-world-example (1.5) to see how to create an installation script for your own app to internal flash. (It would be 'polite' to also provide an uninstall-script I guess.)
Note that iRex tells that programs installed on the internal flash will/might(?) be removed when upgrading to a new firmware version.

The programs posted here for the DR typically installed on the SD-card (xournal being the exception to this).