Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-11-2018, 09:02 PM   #16
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Wonderful to hear you love it so much and it fits yours needs!
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:10 PM   #17
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Mine arrived yesterday. So far I’m enjoying the larger screen size and despite it being larger than my voyage it feels lighter even in its case.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:38 AM   #18
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I do not believe the battery life is much worse than my Voyage was. I do not leave the WIFI on. I enable wifi only when downloading a book or deciding to sync so I can read on my IPad.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:47 PM   #19
Solo1959
Connoisseur
Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle 5th gen, and many in the past
I love the new Oasis except one annoying thing. I usually hold the device in my left hand with the page turn buttons on the left. If I am eating, I will sometimes rest the Oasis on the table. This turns the device off because the power button is not recessed. Yes, I know I can turn the Oasis upside down when I am going to eat, but that would put the page turn buttons in the wrong spot and defeat their purpose.

Just that one little thing or else it would be perfect.
Solo1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:42 AM   #20
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo1959 View Post
I love the new Oasis except one annoying thing. I usually hold the device in my left hand with the page turn buttons on the left. If I am eating, I will sometimes rest the Oasis on the table. This turns the device off because the power button is not recessed. Yes, I know I can turn the Oasis upside down when I am going to eat, but that would put the page turn buttons in the wrong spot and defeat their purpose.

Just that one little thing or else it would be perfect.
As a leftie, I've done this too, a few times. But since the (original) cover really only works well as a stand when the buttons are on the right, I've gotten used to standing it on the table with the buttons on the right, regardless.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:01 PM   #21
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
I'm losing about the same per day 8%, with wifi off. I don't read audio books on it so I have no idea how much more the battery would go down. Other than that I love the Oasis 2.

Same here but I have become OCD with the battery meter and cant stop watching it. I wish we could hide it all together
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:30 AM   #22
millydog
Connoisseur
millydog doesn't littermillydog doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone X, iPad Pro
I'm in Australia and ordered mine last week. It is great to now have Amazon now ship devices from Australia. This is new and previously they were shipped from the US. It arrived today and I have only downloaded a couple of books so far to try it out. I have come from a Paperwhite (maybe 2nd gen?) and I see many improvements over my old device. I love the screen size of the new Oasis and the screen is very evenly lit. My Paperwhite had light patches in areas and it was very uneven in lighting. It makes me wonder if my Paperwhite was actually not quite right now. The speed of this Kindle is also great. I am yet to experience what the battery life is like, but I am quite happy to charge nightly, along side my iPads. But then, I know that don't read enough to need to do that. lol
A little interesting thing to note is that it came already updated to 5.9.2.0.1 out of the box.
millydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:07 AM   #23
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Same here but I have become OCD with the battery meter and cant stop watching it. I wish we could hide it all together
Lol , That would be better right now I'm letting my battery go down to 0%. I've had the wifi on to speed things up this weekend. Then I'll charge it, and see if it calibrates better after that. I usually charge at 40-50%. So I'll see if it makes a difference.

I'm also pretty sure this is why they didn't include immersion reading, the smaller battery wouldn't have been able to do both, audio and have the screen lit up at the same time, it would have killed the battery in hrs.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:42 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I'm also pretty sure this is why they didn't include immersion reading, the smaller battery wouldn't have been able to do both, audio and have the screen lit up at the same time, it would have killed the battery in hrs.
I'm pretty sure you'll find that playing an Audible book will drain the battery in a few hours anyway. It uses a lot of power compared to reading.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:55 AM   #25
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I am no longer seeing a fast drain in the battery of my Oasis 2. I am seeing just about the same as I did with my Voyage now, maybe a little faster drain due to the larger screen and more lighting. I read for 2 hours before bed last night with the light setting of 9 and I drained 3% of the battery. Now I set the light down to 0 before putting it to sleep, and I did not have WIFI or bluetooth on. In fact I have not connected bluetooth at all.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:13 AM   #26
Shark69
Zealot
Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Wonderful. The only issue is the battery. Mine goes down about 5% per day in flight mode.
Shark69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:51 AM   #27
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Lol , That would be better right now I'm letting my battery go down to 0%. I've had the wifi on to speed things up this weekend. Then I'll charge it, and see if it calibrates better after that. I usually charge at 40-50%. So I'll see if it makes a difference.

I read a rumor that they will get immersion reading update.

I tried letting it discharge 100% and did not change the fact that it is a battery eating monster LOL. I saw only a minor improvement. I do not use audible on it for to me without immersion reading it is pointless to have audible on it.

Last edited by HLS; 01-29-2018 at 11:57 AM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:37 PM   #28
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm pretty sure you'll find that playing an Audible book will drain the battery in a few hours anyway. It uses a lot of power compared to reading.
I think your right Harry, I haven't used the audible yet, but I should just try it and see how it works. My battery use has been from the screen only so far.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:05 PM   #29
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I read a rumor that they will get immersion reading update.

I tried letting it discharge 100% and did not change the fact that it is a battery eating monster LOL. I saw only a minor improvement. I do not use audible on it for to me without immersion reading it is pointless to have audible on it.
That's good to know, I named my Oasis Nemesis. Lol. I haven't been using it much because I haven't been home. I had it sitting in stand by mode with wifi on, waiting for the battery to drop, so I can give it a full charge from zero. Well I came home thinking it must be dead by now ? Nope I probably could have read for 2 more hrs. with 5% charge left. It's like it knows I'm going to test it. So it's being good. The problem I have seen with it, is when on a 100% charge it will drop at 100% to 94% after I start reading for a couple minutes, this happens every time, and I can't figure out why ? Then it drops in 1% increments after that but a little slower. I read with the light anywhere between 12-15 level. With wifi off when reading. I'm still waiting for the last 2% to go down then I'll charge it again. I don't think it will make that much of a change on mine either, but every little bit helps.

Last edited by Wearever; 01-30-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:54 PM   #30
Wearever
Wizard

I charged my Oasis 2 to 100% last night. After finally getting it down to 1%. I figured that was good enough to test it. I didn't see the 4-5% drop I usually got after reading for a couple minutes, it did drop more gradually after that. I didn't read more than an hr. on it last night, so still testing. No big difference so far, but at least it hasn't dropped 4-5% from the start.

Also if Amazon plans to add immersion reading, if it's not just a rumor, then that might mean they will have to address the battery drain. I read somewhere that Kobo was able to increase battery life with one of their devices, with a software update ? Is this true ? Maybe it can be done with the Oasis 2 as well ?

Last edited by Wearever; 01-31-2018 at 04:04 PM.