Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-07-2017, 01:32 AM   #1156
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
So far I think I can learn to live with a significantly shorter battery life than my Aura HD (I was expecting about 50% of that, but so far I'm getting about 30% or so). My only other gripe is the lack of the hardware button to turn the light on and off, but fortunately enough I rarely use it in total darkness. In all other respects I find the Aura One to be superior, even if it doesn't fit into the pants pocket quite as comfortably as the HD did
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #1157
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Hello! New to the forum, though I've lurked for years. I just received my KA1 yesterday. Kobo had forgot to add my name and street address to the package, but UPS got it worked out. Haha. The reason I am posting is because I have run into the 0% lighting bug. The auto backlighting is buggy as others have noted, dimming and brightening sometimes even though the lighting in the room hasn't changed. (I suspect it's oversensitive to cast shadows) I can live with that. What is annoying is the 0% lighting bug. I like to read in bed. I have a 6th gen Paperwhite that I've used for years to read in the dark. But when I set the KA1 on 1 or 2%, several times last night the device adjusted to 0% lighting. It's hard to read in the dark then.

I've only found a few mentions of this bug in this thread. Is this an uncommon problem? I'm wondering if my unit is defective. I can turn auto lighting off, but it's one of the features I chose this ereader.

Last edited by Cootey; 04-18-2017 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Typo
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #1158
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I've only found a few mentions of this bug in this thread. Is this an uncommon problem? I'm wondering if my unit is defective. I can turn auto lighting off, but it's one of the features I chose this ereader.
Cognrats on the KA1!

The light dropping to 0% is a known bug even with the latest firmware.

The only workaround I've found is to turn off the auto light adjustment. Yes, it is a pain, but you have the slide adjustment on the left-side of the touch screen or you can go into the bar at the top and manually adjust the light. I just leave mine on 3%.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:11 PM   #1159
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
Cognrats on the KA1!

The light dropping to 0% is a known bug even with the latest firmware.

The only workaround I've found is to turn off the auto light adjustment. Yes, it is a pain, but you have the slide adjustment on the left-side of the touch screen or you can go into the bar at the top and manually adjust the light. I just leave mine on 3%.
That's disappointing to hear. I was rather enjoying that feature—except when it acted possessed or went all the way dark. I've noticed that the yellow lighting has very poor coverage at 1%, turning almost dim & blueish at the bottom right side. These are otherwise small complaints. Is there a known bug entry for the 0% lighting bug on the site? I didn't see one, but perhaps missed it.

One thing I absolutely love is the Overdrive integration. The KA1 is a nice upgrade from my Kobo Mini. The lack of bevels is also sweet.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:45 PM   #1160
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

I'm returning my KA1.

I have to admit that Kobo customer support (situated in Jamaica) is horrendous. Assuming we can hear each other over the bad connection, the accents cause problems on both ends. I have called Kobo four times today. Two failed connections while on hold, a disconnect after a 33 minute tech support session, and finally a very frustrating 30 minute call later, and I may or may not be getting an exchange of my defective KA1. Took me an hour between the two connected calls, and two factory resets, before I was told that my item would be exchanged. I am still awaiting their email to put things in motion.

I've never had a single problem with my Kobo Mini. Not a one. But my Kobo Aura ONE has the 0% lighting bug, forcing me to fight with the Kobo to keep the backlight on, even if Auto lighting is turned off. The Night lighting coverage is red orange on the upper left side and a dim greenish yellow on the lower right. And my KA1 fails to respond to sleep covers. If I take the KA1 out of the case, sometimes I can trigger sleep or wake if I wiggle the cover around the right edge. Again, my Kobo Mini works like a champ, sleep cover and all.

I had purchased a $10 sleep cover off Amazon, so to see if it was at fault I tested it on my Kobo Mini, which wakes and sleeps as expected. The Kobo Mini's sleep cover can't trigger waking or sleeping on my KA1 either. So there's a problem with the magnet sensor, too.

Aside from those three things, I loved the reader. Overdrive integration is amazing, which isn't a surprise considering Kobo owns them now. The larger screen is gorgeous. The device feels wonderful in my hands. I like the textured back. I hope to have a new one in ten days or so.

I can say that the backlight coverage is better on my Kindle Paperwhite (6th gen) even though it has fewer lights. I suspect the smaller screen is a help there.

Does anybody else have similar findings?

Last edited by Cootey; 04-19-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:35 PM   #1161
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Does anybody else have similar findings?
There were problems with the covers and the early firmware versions (launch and I think first update). They were corrected -- in my experience anyway -- with one of the successive updates. My ONE has been fine with its cover ever since.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:01 AM   #1162
moonshot
Connoisseur
moonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Device: Kobo touch
I gave up on my Kobo Aura One. Having waited months for Kobo to get new stock, I finally got one, but it was faulty, with a shadow around the reading area. I returned it for a refund. Customer service was very poor.

I am still using my Kobo Glo HD which is a better size, I feel, than the Aura One. I am considering for my next reader a Kindle.
moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:33 AM   #1163
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
There were problems with the covers and the early firmware versions (launch and I think first update). They were corrected -- in my experience anyway -- with one of the successive updates. My ONE has been fine with its cover ever since.
I have a cover from Amazon (not the official one) and it works fine until I fold it back to read, then it puts the Kobo to sleep. I guess I'll have to get the official one. sigh
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:37 PM   #1164
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I have a cover from Amazon (not the official one) and it works fine until I fold it back to read, then it puts the Kobo to sleep. I guess I'll have to get the official one. sigh
Possibly. The official cover had that problem at least some of the time with the early firmware versions but not since... 4.2.8110 or 4.2.8283, I forget which.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:06 AM   #1165
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
I have a non-official cover that I got from Amazon which works fine and has no effect on my KA1 when I fold it back.
Obviously works as it should when I close the cover as on next opening the sleep page is displayed.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:31 AM   #1166
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
I have a non-official cover that I got from Amazon which works fine and has no effect on my KA1 when I fold it back.
Obviously works as it should when I close the cover as on next opening the sleep page is displayed.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks, but there does not seem to be any by Henaci on Amazon US - UK, France, even Italy has it. Will keep looking here in US.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:33 AM   #1167
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Thanks, but there does not seem to be any by Henaci on Amazon US - UK, France, even Italy has it. Will keep looking here in US.
If you're looking for non-official sleep covers in the US, I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm very happy with it--the sleep function works when opening and closing the cover--and it doesn't shut off the reader when I fold it completely around. The only caveat to that--I'm not sure about placing it on a metallic surface when folded open. I don't know that I've tried that yet--but with both my Kindle Voyage and my Kobo Aura HD, when I'm sitting at a metallic table and place my reader down beside me while eating, they will shut off. So, in this instance, I fold up a paper napkin and place it between the back of the reader and the case. That keeps the reader from going to sleep.

Good luck!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #1168
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
If you're looking for non-official sleep covers in the US, I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm very happy with it--the sleep function works when opening and closing the cover--and it doesn't shut off the reader when I fold it completely around. The only caveat to that--I'm not sure about placing it on a metallic surface when folded open. I don't know that I've tried that yet--but with both my Kindle Voyage and my Kobo Aura HD, when I'm sitting at a metallic table and place my reader down beside me while eating, they will shut off. So, in this instance, I fold up a paper napkin and place it between the back of the reader and the case. That keeps the reader from going to sleep.

Good luck!
Thanks so much, I'll give it a look.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:36 PM   #1169
Deets
Deets exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverDeets exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverDeets exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverDeets exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverDeets exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverDeets exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverDeets exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverDeets exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverDeets exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverDeets exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverDeets exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Aura One
I ordered my Aura One on Friday. I can hardly wait for it to arrive!
Deets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:55 PM   #1170
Deets
Deets exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverDeets exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverDeets exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverDeets exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverDeets exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverDeets exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverDeets exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverDeets exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverDeets exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverDeets exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverDeets exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Aura One
My KA1 arrived yesterday and I'm very pleased so far. I am curious enough as to how long it will take for the firmware to upgrade. Mine came loaded with 4.1.7729.
Deets is offline   Reply With Quote