Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 04-13-2016, 09:12 AM   #1
doron
Connoisseur
doron began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura
Dictionary not working

When in koreader (actually also in nickel) why is the dictionary not working (" no definition found")?
doron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:16 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by doron View Post
When in koreader (actually also in nickel) why is the dictionary not working (" no definition found")?
Have you installed any dictionaries?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2016, 09:34 AM   #3
doron
Connoisseur

Indeed I have to... (I've thought the the kobo aura comes with installed dictionary)
But there are no download links in this page (and I didn't understand - for an English dictionary can I use the built in OCR or do I have to install the Tesseract language data?)

BTW - for for kobo aura I use applications/koreader/data/dict (directory for Pocketbook).?

Last edited by doron; 04-13-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:50 AM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't used the stock Kobo software much at all, but it should have a dictionary. There are threads that address that at the Kobo forums.

The Kobo version directory is at: .adds/koreader/data/dict/ (using KSM7) or wherever your koreader/data/dict/ directory is.

The tesseract data for 100+ languages should have been part of KOReader, in the OCR folder.

Luck;
Ken
Old 04-13-2016, 08:26 PM   #5
doron
Connoisseur

I've put the 2 english dictionaries in G:\.kobo\koreader\data\dict (my only data\dict folder. there's also G:\.kobo\dict) as dicthtml.zip and dicthtml-fr.zip, changed lang twice and still - there's no definition...
The same when used G:\.kobo\dict.

Last edited by doron; 04-13-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Advert
Old 04-14-2016, 05:36 PM   #6
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
I remember having problems with stardict 3 dictionaries, need to use v2. Maybe that is also case with you.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:03 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard

OK here is a public domain English stardict dictionary; start here and •Download the dictionary file from James Somers at this link. Then use WinRAR or 7-zip to find the "stardict-dictd-web1913-2.4.2" folder. Copy that folder into koreader/data/dict/

I have 7 dictionaries installed, including "Stardict format, English Wiktionary, English only, v.2015-Jul-20 based on entries from 2015-Jul-02" (From here)

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 04-14-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:03 AM   #8
doron
Connoisseur

works. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2018, 06:58 PM   #9
doron
Connoisseur

After updating Koreader to v2015.11-1607....2018-03-29 the dictionaries have disappeared. What should I do? I was not sure how they are supposed to be installed so I've put in koreader/data/dict/ the 3 dictionary files (.idx etc.) - is this correct? - but tried also other ways.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:57 PM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard

You might want to try a more current nightly. You might also check the "Installed dictionaries" option under the Search Icon. It should see all the dictionaries that are put in the Dict folder or in any subfolder.

Luck;
Ken
Old 11-05-2018, 12:38 PM   #11
doron
Connoisseur

I get "Installed dictionaries"(0).
Is there anything I can try before updating Koreader?
I still have doubt whether I've installed the dictionary correctly. I've put the dict.dz, .idx , .ifo files of stardict-Oxford_English_Dictionary_2nd_Ed._P1-2.4.2 in .kobo/koreader/data/dict/ . Is that Ok?
Old 11-05-2018, 03:08 PM   #12
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by doron View Post
I've put the dict.dz, .idx , .ifo files of stardict-Oxford_English_Dictionary_2nd_Ed._P1-2.4.2 in .kobo/koreader/data/dict/ . Is that Ok?
Each dict files should have their own dir where you place them (within path you mention). Not all files of all dicts in same dict dir.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:18 PM   #13
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_S View Post
Each dict files should have their own dir where you place them (within path you mention). Not all files of all dicts in same dict dir.
It seems to work either way actually?
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:38 PM   #14
doron
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_S View Post
I've now did just that - still no dictionary is recognized.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:48 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
FWIW, here's what my directory structure looks like, and, last I checked, that was working fine .

Code:
/mnt/onboard/.adds/koreader/data/dict/etymonline/:
total 6008
     4 drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root        4.0K May 28 01:01 .
     4 drwxr-xr-x    5 root     root        4.0K Sep 14 08:33 ..
  5052 -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        4.9M May 28 01:00 stardict.dict.dz
   776 -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      772.4K May 28 01:00 stardict.idx
     8 -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        5.7K May 28 01:01 stardict.idx.oft
     4 -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         182 May 28 01:00 stardict.ifo
   160 -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      157.4K May 28 01:00 stardict.syn

/mnt/onboard/.adds/koreader/data/dict/gcide/:
total 15660
     4 drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root        4.0K May  2  2018 .
 13576 -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       13.3M May  2  2018 stardict.dict.dz
  1888 -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        1.8M May  2  2018 stardict.idx
    16 -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       13.2K May  2  2018 stardict.idx.oft
     4 -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         177 May  2  2018 stardict.ifo
   168 -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      166.1K May  2  2018 stardict.syn

/mnt/onboard/.adds/koreader/data/dict/xmlittre/:
total 34576
     4 drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root        4.0K May  2  2018 .
 32272 -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       31.5M May  2  2018 stardict.dict.dz
  1496 -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        1.5M May  2  2018 stardict.idx
    12 -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        9.6K May  2  2018 stardict.idx.oft
     4 -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         146 May  2  2018 stardict.ifo
   784 -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      782.0K May  2  2018 stardict.syn

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-05-2018 at 09:21 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote