Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-12-2018, 11:51 PM   #8116
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
“Ask me a question.” Kim Harrison

Have you read it, would you recommend the Hollows series? Is it compatible with Dresden, e.g. is a cross even possible?

ETA: Most importantly: Is the Hollows series finished?

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 11-12-2018 at 11:54 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:18 AM   #8117
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Have you read it, would you recommend the Hollows series? Is it compatible with Dresden, e.g. is a cross even possible?

IDK if it's finished (of course, Dresden isn't...), but I suppose they could do some type of cross-over. They're alternate realities that have different backstories, but...it could be made to work.

I don't know the status of the Hollows series. I started reading it when the first book came out; initially really liked it, then at some point, book 5 or whatever, started feeling like Harrison was being hit over the head with the LKHamilton stick, and decided, BTDT on a supernatural-mystery series that decides that fauxrotica is more profitable. I don't have any issue with sex scenes, etc., but when they start to take over from actual plotting, meh. That's why I gave up on LKH, years ago now, (an originally great supernatural murder mystery series that degenerated into the originally-bad-ass female protagonist being the supernatural-blow-up-sex-doll for the supe community) and I decided that I didn't want to enrich another publisher that ruined another series (that I'd originally really liked).

FWIW. But, sure, they could crossover with a bit of creative rewriting, or Harry getting sent into some alternate timeline, whatev.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2018, 12:46 PM   #8118
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:

I've read the first six books (I think) and really enjoyed them. I had planned to reread and finish the series this year, but work and school got in the way.

The series is complete, but there are quite a few bonus stories that take place before, during, and after the last series novel.

I do hope to read them all at some point.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:03 PM   #8119
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I've read the first six books (I think) and really enjoyed them. I had planned to reread and finish the series this year, but work and school got in the way.

The series is complete, but there are quite a few bonus stories that take place before, during, and after the last series novel.

I do hope to read them all at some point.
Thank you. A bonus the series is complete. Earlier this year I started Colin McCool thinking it was complete, only to find out it wasn't at the end. Was going to recommend it here, but not when it is unknown how it ends or if it ends. Nothing worse than a never ending series that the author doesn't know how to kill off at the right time and end it. Series are nice, but having too many I am waiting on to be continued is horrible. Many got picked to gap the time until a new Dresden book comes out ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
IDK if it's finished (of course, Dresden isn't...), but I suppose they could do some type of cross-over. They're alternate realities that have different backstories, but...it could be made to work.

I don't know the status of the Hollows series. I started reading it when the first book came out; initially really liked it, then at some point, book 5 or whatever, started feeling like Harrison was being hit over the head with the LKHamilton stick, and decided, BTDT on a supernatural-mystery series that decides that fauxrotica is more profitable. I don't have any issue with sex scenes, etc., but when they start to take over from actual plotting, meh.
I will pass then, same reason I am not starting Anita Blake. Just like you, I don't mind the scenes, but not at the cost of changing the genre of the series. And only reading until it goes downhill? Meh. I would always wonder if I missed out on something.

Quote:
That's why I gave up on LKH, years ago now, (an originally great supernatural murder mystery series that degenerated into the originally-bad-ass female protagonist being the supernatural-blow-up-sex-doll for the supe community) and I decided that I didn't want to enrich another publisher that ruined another series (that I'd originally really liked).
So you are saying usually the pressure comes from the publisher? Either you go add more romance, or you won't get any more books published.
Quote:
FWIW. But, sure, they could crossover with a bit of creative rewriting, or Harry getting sent into some alternate timeline, whatev.

Hitch
At least it would be theoretically possible.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:20 PM   #8120
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool “Ask me a question.” Kim Harrison

Quote:
Have you read it,
Yes.
Quote:
would you recommend the Hollows series?
Yes.
Quote:
Is it compatible with Dresden,
In some respects, yes. In other respects, no.
Quote:
e.g. is a cross even possible?
Maybe.
Quote:
Yes, 13 novels and a prequel.

Last edited by alansplace; 11-13-2018 at 04:23 PM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #8121
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you. A bonus the series is complete. Earlier this year I started Colin McCool thinking it was complete, only to find out it wasn't at the end. Was going to recommend it here, but not when it is unknown how it ends or if it ends. Nothing worse than a never ending series that the author doesn't know how to kill off at the right time and end it. Series are nice, but having too many I am waiting on to be continued is horrible. Many got picked to gap the time until a new Dresden book comes out ...
THAT is hilarious. You know what series I'm annoyed about? Not only isn't finished, but has started that cliffhanger crap? Colin McCool. The Junkyard Druid thing, right? Yes, it's NA (new Adult) or whatever, but I'd heard good things, and started reading it. I just read the newest one, and it TOO, like the last one, ends on a d*mn cliffhanger! That's almost always a KOD (Kiss of Death) from me. I don't like being played for a sucker.

Quote:
I will pass then, same reason I am not starting Anita Blake. Just like you, I don't mind the scenes, but not at the cost of changing the genre of the series. And only reading until it goes downhill? Meh. I would always wonder if I missed out on something.
It's kind of a shame. I really LOVED that series, through...Bloody Bones. Those 5 were terrific. In Killing Dance, if memory serves, that's when LKH (got divorced and) started writing a crapload of sex scenes, all explained away by the "munin" (spirit of a dead woman) was "riding" the heroine, making her previously celibate self into a whole new person. I hung on, mind you (at one point foolishly thinking that the Merry Gentry series would let LKH blow it out of her system), through...Narcissus in Chains or the following one, and I finally just gave up. I don't care how "super" you are, having sex with more people than you can count on the digits of your hands is just not attractive to me, and the plots COMPLETELY vanished. I mean, it started out with her being "The Vampire Executioner," the sourge of evildoers everywhere, and by the time the 10th book came around, she was the sofa of evildoers everywhere. (I referred to her as a blow-up doll for Supernatural Frat Boy parties). Yeah, no. The mystery portion completely disappeared, the cops disappeared, yadda. Half the damn dialogue was "do me do me do me," (watered down for the family-friendly MR atmosphere). Sorry, but I have other brain cells that need feeding.

Quote:
So you are saying usually the pressure comes from the publisher? Either you go add more romance, or you won't get any more books published.
Not in the case of Hamilton, for certain. She got into a fight with her publishers around book 6, on this very topic (according to her own comments), b/c the publishers asked her to cut out all the sex, or the 'extra' sex, or whatever. She said that she fought back because she thought that they were being sexist; I remember commenting on her then-forum that I thought maybe they just wanted better writing than what was being served. (Given the absolute demise of decent plotting since her first divorce, I've always, always wondered--who was it that was actually plotting out the mysteries in that series? Those plotlines all seemed to completely poof, when she got divorced.) I seem to recall being thrown off her board at that point, or something along those lines. Forum? Honestly, I can't remember, it was a while back. It took me a while to get over wishing she'd go BACK to the original storylines.

Quote:
At least it would be theoretically possible.
You'd have to reconcile a BUNCH of stuff. In Harrison, everybody has these recessive Supe genes, or something, show up due to some disease in...tomatoes, I think it was, whereas with Harry, all the supe stuff is supposed to have always existed. If memory serves, they'd also have to reconcile the Fae and their roles, too, but other than that, yeah, they could PROBABLY do a crossover. (Hope it wouldn't affect the Dresdens, though.)

Hitch
Old 11-13-2018, 05:30 PM   #8122
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
THAT is hilarious. You know what series I'm annoyed about? Not only isn't finished, but has started that cliffhanger crap? Colin McCool. The Junkyard Druid thing, right? Yes, it's NA (new Adult) or whatever, but I'd heard good things, and started reading it. I just read the newest one, and it TOO, like the last one, ends on a d*mn cliffhanger! That's almost always a KOD (Kiss of Death) from me. I don't like being played for a sucker.
Yes, that Colin McCool. Cliffhangers are no problem when you don't have to wait. The only inconvenience I had was to switch from one book to the next. The 7th book came out earlier this month (have not read yet), but still appears not to be the last either.
Quote:
It's kind of a shame. I really LOVED that series, through...Bloody Bones. Those 5 were terrific. [..]
Hitch
Yeah, sounds like a great way to finish it. Not.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:59 PM   #8123
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Jim Butcher interview, exclusively on Suspense Magazine

CLICK HERE
Old 11-19-2018, 03:26 AM   #8124
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Interesting how many times he has to tell the story about his writing teacher. Worded just a little different each time. It looks like he might be getting tired of it:

Quote:
Actually, you should know that I wrote The Dresden Files to prove to my writing teacher how wrong she was about writing.
Not a single mentioning of Peace Talks, no updates anywhere. Maybe he only does interviews anymore when nobody is allowed to ask about the status of the next book. He won't need to break any promises that way. Maybe it will be next year, the following year book 2 of Cinder Spires and in 2021 Mirror, Mirror???

Sure, likely, probably even slower.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:32 PM   #8125
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Author Jim Butcher talks cosplay, The Dresden Files

CLICK HERE

Old 12-01-2018, 07:25 PM   #8126
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool wizard book from Kindle $0.00

Old 12-01-2018, 09:20 PM   #8127
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:

Is this a recommendation?

Hitch
Old 12-01-2018, 10:23 PM   #8128
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Freebie

Quote:
Is this a recommendation?

Hitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace
Nope. just disseminating information. I've only just put it in my TBR list.
Quote:
If you would like to hear about the next books in the Felix Freeman series, then click below to sign up… I WANT TO GET THE NEXT BOOK FREE. CLICK ME. You won’t be disappointed. You won’t get any spam. You WILL get, the second book in the series FREE. You will get news about further books in the series published quickly, satisfyingly, wizardingly, magically brilliant. Okay, one too many adverbs there. But you get the idea. Give me your best email and I will send you ONLY great stuff. I WANT TO GET THE NEXT BOOK FREE. CLICK ME.
.Simmonds, Jack. Wizard for Hire (Felix Freeman, Book 1) (Kindle Locations 40-50). Hooky Bookys. Kindle Edition.
I began browsing the book and right after the Forward and a page called Read Me First there was the above paragraph and this book cover!

Last edited by alansplace; 12-02-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:54 AM   #8129
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
So, Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series is the only "Urban Fantasy" series I've read, and I've really enjoyed it (and his Codex Alera). Typically I read more things like Brandon Sanderson, L.E. Modesitt, David Weber.

Where do I go from here in the genre? I like the magic part, the mystery, and the sense of discovery as Dresden grows and learns.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:22 PM   #8130
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Urban Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
So, Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series is the only "Urban Fantasy" series I've read, and I've really enjoyed it (and his Codex Alera). Typically I read more things like Brandon Sanderson, L.E. Modesitt, David Weber.

Where do I go from here in the genre? I like the magic part, the mystery, and the sense of discovery as Dresden grows and learns.
For starters try the two books by Jack Simmonds featured in my last 2 posts, they are both free! Also try the Alex Verus series by Benedict Jacka and the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy