Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-26-2018, 10:55 AM   #1
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
problem loading books to Forma via Calibre

I do not know whether it is a problem with the device or with Calibre, but I have been painfully loading some 4000 books to my 2 days old Forma - mostly kepubs converted from epub on the way, the rest PDFs.
I've been sending them in small batches, but calibre still closes down half-way through. And sometimes it disconnects from the device. In both cases the device remains connected to my PC. I tried Microsoft analysis which detected no error, then I disconnected my Kobo account and then reconnected to refresh the data base without having to spend two more days' loading, but the problem subsists.

Here is the latest error message:
Spoiler:
calibre, version 3.33.1
ERREUR : Erreur: Erreur pendant la communication avec le périphérique

IOError: disk I/O error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 510, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1781, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 169, in device_database_connection
IOError: IOError: disk I/O error

I've had this type of problem everytime I've loaded my books on a new reader, but it seems worse. I don't know whether I should post this here or in the Kobo forum. Can someone tell from the log?

Thanks.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:48 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
IO errors are usually the Device as a drive has issues (damaged file system ) or the connection is flaking (or timing) out during the transfer.

You could try running the standard Windows Check Disk utility on the Kobo drive.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:05 PM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
but if the OP is experiencing this with "every reader he buys"
( "everytime I've loaded my books on a new reader")
I would begin to suspect the cable or the USB port in use
so a new question is - have you tried with different cables and with different PC ports?

also there are 2 sides to an I/O error - the I and the O. could be the PC hard drive where calibre resides is becoming error probe and so is not reliably sending the data?
that could be tested by doing a "save to disc" operation, just to some other PC folder, or to a USB stick, with the same batch of books

Last edited by stumped; 10-26-2018 at 01:10 PM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:05 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
but if the OP is experiencing this with "every reader he buys"
( "everytime I've loaded my books on a new reader")
I would begin to suspect the cable or the USB port in use
so a new question is - have you tried with different cables and with different PC ports?

also there are 2 sides to an I/O error - the I and the O. could be the PC hard drive where calibre resides is becoming error probe and so is not reliably sending the data?
that could be tested by doing a "save to disc" operation, just to some other PC folder, or to a USB stick, with the same batch of books
Good point. Anti virus might be getting in the way. A bad USB driver is another.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:45 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
THat I/O error is coming when sqlite tries to open the kobo database on the kobo device. General debugging options:

1) Use a diffeereent USB cable/port
2) Reset the Kobo and/or reformat the kobo drive
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:42 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I do not know whether it is a problem with the device or with Calibre, but I have been painfully loading some 4000 books to my 2 days old Forma - mostly kepubs converted from epub on the way, the rest PDFs.
I've been sending them in small batches, but calibre still closes down half-way through. And sometimes it disconnects from the device. In both cases the device remains connected to my PC. I tried Microsoft analysis which detected no error, then I disconnected my Kobo account and then reconnected to refresh the data base without having to spend two more days' loading, but the problem subsists.

Here is the latest error message:
Spoiler:
calibre, version 3.33.1
ERREUR : Erreur: Erreur pendant la communication avec le périphérique

IOError: disk I/O error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 510, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1781, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 169, in device_database_connection
IOError: IOError: disk I/O error

I've had this type of problem everytime I've loaded my books on a new reader, but it seems worse. I don't know whether I should post this here or in the Kobo forum. Can someone tell from the log?
Unfortunately, I can't really add more than the others have. I can only state that some of the devices seem to be more susceptible to issues with the cable or port. I have a similar issue with my Glo HD. I have this very nice cable that came with my tolino epos. Both plugs are reversible. It's great to use. But, if I use it with the Glo HD, as soon as calibre starts accessing it, the connection partly drops and I get the above. All the other Kobo devices work perfectly with it. And it is actually worse for me, as when this happens, it leaves the USB port on the laptop in a state that it doesn't work with other ereaders and I need to reboot to fix it. I haven't been able to come up with a reason, and simply use a different cable.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:34 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

David
Back around 2010-11 I had a Astak that had issues with Intels enhanced (USB2) mode.
I could either disable enhanced mode (and all devices suffered) or install an USB 1 only board. I found one cheap.
I proved it was the device, multiple computers failed, and they all had the same chip set. the ones without that, worked.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:31 AM   #8
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you everybody. In Forma's case, I didn't try any cable other than its cable from the box, since I'd read in other threads that it responds badly to other cables. Also I try not to plug/unplug too much from the device size since I had major port problems with the One's (I do the plug/ unplug on the PC dock's side instead): I had to exchange it twice and the last one died a month after the end of the two years guarantee. Luckily I have a Fnac shop not too far from me and when I went to fetch the Forma and brought back the unusable One for recycling, I was pleased that the employee managed to get me a 66 € refund. The previous exchanges were painless there too.

I wasn't clear enough about what was happening on the other devices: I was speaking of Calibre closing off often when I load many books, that is with new devices or after a factory reset.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:40 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

look at it this way: you have 4 suspects- the PC [hardware] , the Kobo, the cable, & the transfer software(calibre)

the easiest 2 tests are to change the cable and /or change the connection ( i.e. use a different USB port). those are unlikely to make matters any worse, and one or the other may fix the issue.
if not they you are looking for ways to take the others out of the loop or bypass them i e.g. test on a friends PC or sideload the books using windows + usb without using calibre....
you can also try disabling all anti virus in case that is interfering or slowing stuff down so much that calibre gives up and disconnects. I am unsure if calibre can be tweaked to wait longer or retry more often before stopping with an IO error.

many people exclude the calibre library folder from AV scans and checks, as any books will be checked when they arrive elsewhere on the PC, before going through an add to library process
Old 10-27-2018, 10:25 AM   #10
anacreon
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
look at it this way: you have 4 suspects- the PC [hardware] , the Kobo, the cable, & the transfer software(calibre)

the easiest 2 tests are to change the cable and /or change the connection ( i.e. use a different USB port). those are unlikely to make matters any worse, and one or the other may fix the issue.
if not they you are looking for ways to take the others out of the loop or bypass them i e.g. test on a friends PC or sideload the books using windows + usb without using calibre....
you can also try disabling all anti virus in case that is interfering or slowing stuff down so much that calibre gives up and disconnects. I am unsure if calibre can be tweaked to wait longer or retry more often before stopping with an IO error.

many people exclude the calibre library folder from AV scans and checks, as any books will be checked when they arrive elsewhere on the PC, before going through an add to library process
It is an old problem I had with many USB cables, several devices and several PCs. The antivirus scan is something I have to try if Microsoft allows it (I use Defender). I finally finished downloading my 4000 books on the Forma, but it would be useful next time.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:28 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard

Definitely set up exclusions in defender. I am pretty sure you can exclude specific folders. It could be holding up the transfer process and causing a time out..
A forum Search on defender may also be productive
Old 10-27-2018, 03:44 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
It is an old problem I had with many USB cables, several devices and several PCs. The antivirus scan is something I have to try if Microsoft allows it (I use Defender). I finally finished downloading my 4000 books on the Forma, but it would be useful next time.
You CAN set 'Exclusions' by folder in Defender. It just takes a bit of drilling down to get there.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:27 AM   #13
stumped
Wizard

while we were rabbiting on - this post from the master got overlooked|?
so most likely the AV thing is a red herring..

KOVID
"THat I/O error is coming when sqlite tries to open the kobo database on the kobo device. General debugging options:

1) Use a diffeereent USB cable/port
2) Reset the Kobo and/or reformat the kobo drive