Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
Devon
Enthusiast
Devon began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle
Refreshing Calibre?

Can you refresh your book list on Calibre, so that it rechecks your files and adds any that are missing? I have started to use DropBox on the recommendation of another member and my files are syncing, but they don't show in Calibre.
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Basically you can use Add Books to re-add the books.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
Devon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Basically you can use Add Books to re-add the books.
Thank you, that is what I have been doing - the problem lies with my memory - by the time I switch computers, I don't always remember what is new.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If this loss is occurring repeatedly, you got a rpoblem in your dropbox setup. Unfortunately, I can't help you with that, as I don't use dropbox with calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
Devon
Enthusiast

The files transfer to my Book directory, but when I launch calibre, they don't show in the file list.
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
With the caveat that I'm not a developer and don't know the insides of the program and all my knowledge about it could be wrong...

It sounds like your database is not syncing. IIUC All the metadata and book info is stored in the metadata.db file which is an SQLite database. How have you set up the data on Dropbox? Did you also put the metadata.db file there to be shared? Also, do you completely close the calibre program when finished with it? Not just the gui and have the program run in the background, but close it completely. I'm not sure about calibre, but many programs that use data files keep them open in memory and only sync to disk periodically.

What may be happening is that each calibre instance holds the metadata.db file open and then at some point syncs back to disk, but it hasn't yet seen the updates from the other instance. That means they're writing old data and updates don't happen. To fix that you'd need to completely shut down one instance of calibre before opening the other.

I hope this helps.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
Kilroy
Kilroy began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
I have also set up the Dropbox implementation today, and noticed that the metadata.db file does NOT sync to Dropbox until you close Calibre (close, not just minimize to the system tray).

Assuming the metadata.db file is synced correctly, then when you open Calibre on another computer, it should be using the latest version of the database.

Best practice: Open Calibre only to add files/metadata, then close it afterward. That way you won't get any database inconsistencies. If you try to access it from two places at the same time, "bad things" will happen.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
Devon
Enthusiast

Thank you, I will try keeping Calibre closed.