Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 12-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Version 2.5 is out

New:
  • Download DRM-free EPUB books from Readmill cloud. Access it from the “Get books” button in your library.
  • Badge counter on Marvin’s icon to show book count, unread books or books in reading list (configure in device’s settings).

Improvements:
  • In-book back button moved into the bottom toolbar.
  • In-book top header is tappable to view metadata even when hidden (unless you have the smallest margins on iPhone).
  • In-book toolbar is automatically hidden after selecting a search result.
  • EPUB compatibility and important stability improvements.
  • Substantial performance improvements for many books.
  • Preset for Pleco Chinese Dictionary custom action.
  • System compatibility improvements.
  • UI enhancements.

Fixes:
  • Exporting full vocabulary wasn’t including all words.
  • The built in web browser could not navigate to “.mobi” domains.
  • Fixed a bug in “marvinhttp://“ protocol handler.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Heitor
Enthusiast
Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.

Device: iPad Air 2, Nexus 7 (2013), Zenfone 3 5.5, Kobo Aura
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
New:
  • Download DRM-free EPUB books from Readmill cloud. Access it from the “Get books” button in your library.
[/LIST]
I really didn't see this coming... or maybe I needed to come back here more frequently.

Anyway, nice to see my two favorite e-readers so close.
Heitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
Quote:
Improvements:
  • In-book top header is tappable to view metadata even when hidden (unless you have the smallest margins on iPhone).
I wouldn't know how to get an even smaller top margin but my settings are "Minimum, no headers & footer text" and Page titles and footers hidden.

And I have absolutely no problem at all accessing metadata. In fact I now actually _can_ access this slide-in view which I could not before with these settings.

Theme (day/night) switching has also become much snappier.

Not sure if it's a bug or something else, but when navigating an OPDS feed, it seems as if the back button sometimes loses track because sometimes it refuses to go further back when not yet on the 'startpage' of the feed. (it's a COPS feed btw so can't post a link)

Last edited by At_Libitum; 12-06-2013 at 11:10 PM.
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:34 AM   #4
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@At_Libitum - Could you elaborate a bit more on the OPDS issue?
Old 12-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@At_Libitum - Could you elaborate a bit more on the OPDS issue?
I have COPS installed and multiple Calibre libraries. COPS allows me to combine these in a single feed, presenting the choice of libraries as first level.

When I go down into a library, then into one of the categories, e.g. author, title, etc. and open a book's details, and decide to navigate back up, then most times when I hit the triangle button bottom-left, I do go back up and can do this until I am at the top level again, in this case the library selection.

Now, sometimes when I go back up, and reach the first level, so this is where I would select either author, title or whatever category I made visible, not the top level, it seems as if Marvin (?) thinks I'm already at the top level and I cannot go up further.

As I said, it's not consistent so I'm not sure if its a bug, it may just be my iPhone acting up (afteral the button sits in a corner and it's not exactly a brand new phone anymore)

Last edited by At_Libitum; 12-07-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Advert
Old 12-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
russelms
russelms began at the beginning.

Device: ipad Air
With Marvin 2.4 on an iPad runnign iOS 6.1 I could load a specific epub from dropbox. Now on my brand new iPad Air with Marvin 2.5 on iOS 7.0.3 Marvin complains that the epub is not correctly formatted or that it is encrypted. I have succesfully loaded it into iBooks by downloading it using safari and readmill.

Any idea what happened between 2.4 and 2.5?

P.S I purchased Marvin when it was at 2.4
russelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
kguil
Addict

@russelms - I'm terribly sorry about this. It's a bug that has been introduced in 2.5. I've already fixed it and already sent an update to Apple to review and release.

@At_Libitum - Checking.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
rlagill
Nameless Being

Question How do I import ePubs from iBooks into Marvin already on my iPad?

I already have many ePub books in iBooks on my iPad. How do I import them into Marvin for iOS v2.5?

In advance, many thanks!

Best Regards,

Rick
Old 12-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
kguil
Addict

You mean you have books in the iPad only version of Marvin and you want to move them to the Universal version? If so, try this link: http://blog.marvinapp.com/post/67661991764
Old 12-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
At_Libitum
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlagill View Post
I already have many ePub books in iBooks on my iPad. How do I import them into Marvin for iOS v2.5?

In advance, many thanks!

Best Regards,

Rick
The simplest way (assuming Windows 7 and iTunes installed and all books synced to your iTunes Books folder) would be to open your iTunes folder with Explorer, navigate to the books folder, if synced to iTunes there will be a load of folders containing, assuming, epubs(?).

Then hook up your iPad with iTunes running, go the device view and select the apps button in top, on the page that opens should be an Apps section at the bottom in which you'll find Marvin, now just drag all of those epubs from the explorer view and drop them onto the list next to the selected Marvin app .

Another way would be via Calibre but then you'd also need as minimum to have the iOS application reader plugin installed and successively configure it for iBooks and Marvin to import from and subsequent exporting to.

Last edited by At_Libitum; 12-07-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #11
At_Libitum
Addict

hehe love it...happen to be browsing Feedbooks, come accross a book, and before 2.5 I had to fire up Marvin, open the opds feed for feedbooks, do a search to locate same book and download.

Now, just click "Send to Readmill" on Feedbooks, and the book is ready to download in Marvin next time I open it. Gotta love this.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #12
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'll check this new update later, thanks for it :-)
While I'm at it, there's a small bug I experience with my current version. Nothing really bad but I'm still letting you know.
When reading a book I touch a word so that this black bar pops in, at the left of it is the dictionary to get the word's meaning. When I'm done, there is at the right of that small window a "done" button which I assume shuts off that window so that you can go back to reading the book. Well when I push on "done", nothing happens ...
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #13
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
when I push on "done", nothing happens ...
iOS bug.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
henrikberggren
henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5 / iPad Mini
Really proud of being a part of Marvin, please tell us what you think about the integration and how can improve it going forward.
henrikberggren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #15
Fanchee
Connoisseur
Fanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notes

Device: Aura H20, PRS-350, Kobo Aura HD
Is 2.5 a new version that us 2.4 users have to re-purchase? It doesn't seem to be updating itself on my iPad. Thanks!

Found the answer, nevermind.

Last edited by Fanchee; 12-09-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Fanchee is offline   Reply With Quote