Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #76
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
So you're saying, "I bought it officially from Amazon" is not a defense against "receiving stolen property"? The reason I buy things from Amazon is because I thought that gave them some kind of legitimacy (not "sold and shipped by a 3rd party", but "sold and/or fulfilled by Amazon"). eBooks by their nature (because they include DRM), are "fulfilled by Amazon". AFAIK, Amazon is THE biggest eBook retailer out there. And we can't trust what they're selling us to be legal??? This is so bizarre as to be unbelievable.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:42 PM   #77
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
So you're saying, "I bought it officially from Amazon" is not a defense against "receiving stolen property"?
I've no idea from a legal standpoint. But from a practical standpoint, I can almost guarantee that no one is going to bash in your door to arrest you for buying an ebook from Amazon

Quote:
eBooks by their nature (because they include DRM), are "fulfilled by Amazon"
Not all ebooks sold by Amazon include DRM. Any publisher is free to request that theirs don't.

Quote:
The reason I buy things from Amazon is because I thought that gave them some kind of legitimacy (not "sold and shipped by a 3rd party", but "sold and/or fulfilled by Amazon"). eBooks by their nature (because they include DRM), are "fulfilled by Amazon". AFAIK, Amazon is THE biggest eBook retailer out there. And we can't trust what they're selling us to be legal??? This is so bizarre as to be unbelievable.
Welcome to the digital age. There's pirated material being sold by every ebook retailer out there.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-15-2018 at 04:44 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2018, 05:03 PM   #78
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Not all ebooks sold by Amazon include DRM. Any publisher is free to request that theirs don't.
True, but the vast majority have DRM. I can't think of a title I've bought that didn't come with DRM. Maybe if I rack my brains and search my eBooks I could uncover one that came DRM-free. Oh, yeah, wait ... the Project Gutenberg stuff - I do have some of that, and it was DRM-free.

It's kind of funny that DRM is being used to prevent stolen stuff from being stolen a second time. And authors are apparently resorting to stolen copies of their work, massaging them a little, and reselling them as cleansed. I guess the book becomes "un-stolen" at that point? Unless of course, the author stole an idea (or plagiarized something) when they originally wrote their book, ... that was subsequently stolen, stolen back, cleansed, thus becoming un-stolen and virgin again, only to receive a fresh copy of DRM before starting the cycle again. And us consumers go buy it off of Amazon, not realizing it is covered with all these Mafia fingerprints. You just can't make this stuff up!
Old 08-15-2018, 05:15 PM   #79
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
If the PG stuff on Amazon is DRM free, then there are far more DRM free books on Amazon than copyright infringing books. Amazon will remove infringing books if they are notified.

Some stores get stuck with forged physical goods. The problem is not limited to e-books.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:21 PM   #80
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
True, but the vast majority have DRM. I can't think of a title I've bought that didn't come with DRM. Maybe if I rack my brains and search my eBooks I could uncover one that came DRM-free. Oh, yeah, wait ... the Project Gutenberg stuff - I do have some of that, and it was DRM-free.

It's kind of funny that DRM is being used to prevent stolen stuff from being stolen a second time. And authors are apparently resorting to stolen copies of their work, massaging them a little, and reselling them as cleansed. I guess the book becomes "un-stolen" at that point? Unless of course, the author stole an idea (or plagiarized something) when they originally wrote their book, ... that was subsequently stolen, stolen back, cleansed, thus becoming un-stolen and virgin again, only to receive a fresh copy of DRM before starting the cycle again. And us consumers go buy it off of Amazon, not realizing it is covered with all these Mafia fingerprints. You just can't make this stuff up!
About 65% of the ebooks I purchase from Kobo do not have DRM (the download is a epub file). My Kindle purchases have about 10% that do not have DRM and most of those have a "At the publisher's request, this title is sold without DRM (Digital Rights Management)." (*) disclaimer in the book description. It almost seems as if Kobo applies DRM by request while Amazon removes DRM by request.

(*) Check any of the Baen titles sold though Amazon for that disclaimer.

I think you are severely misinterpreting the case where an author resorts to a pirated copy of one of their books to obtain an electronically readable copy.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2018, 08:42 PM   #81
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
And authors are apparently resorting to stolen copies of their work, massaging them a little, and reselling them as cleansed. I guess the book becomes "un-stolen" at that point?
You would have to ask a lawyer, but I am not sure receiving stolen property applies to stuff that was stolen from you. The one thing I could see where receiving stolen property stolen from you might be illegal is to defraud insurance. No such insurance exists for IP, far as I know.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:14 PM   #82
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
You would have to ask a lawyer, but I am not sure receiving stolen property applies to stuff that was stolen from you.
Wasn't that the defense that OJ Simpson tried to use? That didn't work out too well for him.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:14 AM   #83
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Wasn't OJ convicted of assaulting the person selling the items he claimed were stolen? I doubt the author is doing anything that drastic.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:45 AM   #84
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Wasn't that the defense that OJ Simpson tried to use? That didn't work out too well for him.
That was clearly different, because he actually broke in to get them. To make it worse armed as well.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:00 PM   #85
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
There is no Copyright Police force with a mandate to actively protect everyone's IP rights.
Give Disney a few years
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #86
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
They open an amazon account as a publisher and illegally upload the book(s). That is what happened in the infamous 1984 scandal.

Yep, and it certainly isn't limited to Amazon, in my early e-reading days bought an eBook from Barnes and Noble that I suspect was a pirate copy. But, being a PDF (which I hadn't realised when I excitedly hit 'buy' as a new e-reader owner), at least the text was fine.

I suppose it really isn't easy to police this sort of thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:23 PM   #87
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Give Disney a few years
No doubt!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote