Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-23-2018, 02:09 AM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Forbes: US Publishers 2017 results

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamrow...llion-in-2017/

Online retailers very close to b&m retailers

Highest growth category: non-fiction adult

27% of online sales: eBooks

Publishers' revenues: $26 billion+
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:16 AM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamrow...llion-in-2017/

Online retailers very close to b&m retailers

Highest growth category: non-fiction adult

27% of online sales: eBooks

Publishers' revenues: $26 billion+
Inconceivable, I've been assured here that publishers have been losing money for years. Of course, that number is an estimate. It might carry a bit more weight than a blogger's SWAG, but it is an estimate.

I can believe that the non-fiction adult is the highest growth category. A lot of kiss and tell political books came out last year.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2018, 11:58 AM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I can believe that the non-fiction adult is the highest growth category. A lot of kiss and tell political books came out last year.
Wouldn't a lot of those be in the childish fiction category?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:18 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Wouldn't a lot of those be in the childish fiction category?
On both sides of the aisle. Political books have become quite the cottage industry over the past couple of years. If you are a political commentator or where involved in one of the campaigns, then you are practically required to put out a book so you can pimp it in your column.

This is one of the reasons that I tend to point out that you have to look at what came out in a particular year when you start talking about upturn or downturn. Sales figures tend to be driven by specific authors and events. You can really make things look very different depending on what years you include in your comparisons.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #5
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Inconceivable, I've been assured here that publishers have been losing money for years. Of course, that number is an estimate. It might carry a bit more weight than a blogger's SWAG, but it is an estimate.
I don't see anything in there about them losing money or not.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2018, 03:16 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
I don't see anything in there about them losing money or not.
You're right. It's all about revenue, not profit/loss. (I'm guessing there was profit but I guess that information is released individually by the publishers.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #7
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
I guess the system isn't going anywhere for a while...
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:37 PM   #8
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
I guess the system isn't going anywhere for a while...
Visit (metaphorically) the history of the Woolworth empire:

The Woolworth Suits made money until the end.

Last edited by frahse; 08-05-2018 at 09:06 AM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:47 AM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Visit (metaphorically) the history of the Woolworth empire:

The Woolworth Suits made money until the end.
Might be a valid point if Woolworth only made suits, given that we are talking about book publishers and revenue on books.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:49 PM   #10
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Might be a valid point if Woolworth only made suits, given that we are talking about book publishers and revenue on books.
Sorry, I confused you. I am speaking in the Idiom, the Slang, the Metafor.

ie.
Quote:
Collins defines "suit" as: (slang) a person wearing a suit; specif., a business executive or a bureaucrat (usually a term of mild derision)Jan 16, 2015
slang - Is the word "suit" offensive (meaning "corporate-looking ...
https://ell.stackexchange.com/.../is...orate-looking-...

Urban Dictionary: suit
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=suit
Slang for a businessman or any authority figure that wears a suit, e.g. manager, boss, supervisor.

slang - Is the word "suit" offensive (meaning "corporate-looking ...
https://ell.stackexchange.com/.../is...rporate-lookin...

Jan 16, 2015 - Collins defines "suit" as: (slang) a person wearing a suit; specif., a business executive or a bureaucrat (usually a term of mild derision)

Suit - Idioms by The Free Dictionary
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/suit
suit. slang A businessperson. The phrase refers to the formal attire worn by many businesspeople and is typically used in a mildly derogatory way.

SUIT - Slang/Internet Slang - Acronym Finder
https://www.acronymfinder.com/Slang/SUIT.html
3 definitions of SUIT. Definition of SUIT in Slang/Internet Slang. What does SUIT stand for?

Suit definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us...y/english/suit
a suit of armor. 2. Slang. a person wearing a suit; specif., a business executive or a bureaucrat. usually a term of mild derision.
Mainly I speak of the decision making executives that ignored change, fought change and let the company go down the drain while protecting their turf and their bonuses.
Does that ring a bell in that "book selling world" you speak of?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:33 AM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry, I confused you. I am speaking in the Idiom, the Slang, the Metafor.

ie.

Mainly I speak of the decision making executives that ignored change, fought change and let the company go down the drain while protecting their turf and their bonuses.
Does that ring a bell in that "book selling world" you speak of?
I don't really see your point. Woolworth transformed itself into the Foot Locker. That really doesn't sound like suits ignoring change to me.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:59 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't really see your point. Woolworth transformed itself into the Foot Locker. That really doesn't sound like suits ignoring change to me.
Foot Locker is not "Woolworth's," it was originally a division of the original F.W. Woolworth Company. But the current Foot Locker came out of the Woolworth Corporation, a separate company, created in 1988 by the Woolworth "suits." Obviously it was their "lifeboat" for when F.W. Woolworth department stores collapsed completely (which happened in 1997). So, yes, the suits looked out for themselves while their company foundered.

I miss Woolworth's and Kinney Shoes (where Foot Locker originally came from). I've never been a customer of Foot Locker — nothing personal, I just don't buy expensive tennis shoes.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:04 PM   #13
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Unfortunately, there's doesn't seem to be a good non-fiction book on F.W. Woolworth's decline. But the Wikipedia article you linked in #8 seems to suggest that their problem was they changed too much:

Quote:
The Woolworth company moved away from its five-and-dime roots and placed less emphasis on its department store chain as it focused on its specialty stores.
What would have happenned if F. W. Woolworth had put their capital into improving their classic medium-sized stores rather than opening Woolco's and, then, later, opening sporting goods stores? It is at least possible that many locations which are today a Dollar General or Poundland would still be a Woolworth.

Also, just because one company failed doesn't mean that others in the industry shouldn't stick to what they know. A&P is gone but supermarkets are still big.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:40 PM   #14
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Foot Locker is not "Woolworth's," it was originally a division of the original F.W. Woolworth Company. But the current Foot Locker came out of the Woolworth Corporation, a separate company, created in 1988 by the Woolworth "suits." Obviously it was their "lifeboat" for when F.W. Woolworth department stores collapsed completely (which happened in 1997). So, yes, the suits looked out for themselves while their company foundered.

I miss Woolworth's and Kinney Shoes (where Foot Locker originally came from). I've never been a customer of Foot Locker — nothing personal, I just don't buy expensive tennis shoes.
I must say, I don't really see the difference you are trying to draw. That's just the way corporations work.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:19 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I must say, I don't really see the difference you are trying to draw. That's just the way corporations work.
At one time (at least some) corporate heads took pride in the number of employees they hired and how well they treated them. Now they brag about how much they've reduced their workforce and enhanced their corporate bottom line. (Often right before going under, selling off the pieces to vultures and sucking out the marrow from the bones.)

Last edited by rcentros; 08-07-2018 at 02:29 PM. Reason: words left out in first post